Glock 17 Gen 4 Stovepiping

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by rubikees, Apr 6, 2012.

1. rubikees

rubikees New Member

It is official, the Glock has stovepiped more that any of my other pistols. This is becoming veryinconvenient especially when I am out on an IDPA scenario. The only thing that has been modified is the trigger pull was reduced and the slide lock lever was polished. BTW, this is not due to limp wristing so take that out of the equation. So what is the answer to this big problem?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

You must have an early Gen4. Glock will give you a gen3 recoil spring that should fix it.

3. A Gen3 spring will not fit in a Gen4.

OP.....what number is stamped on your ejector?

4. iamthedood

[​IMG]
    Guess I gave wrong info. I had heard that they were replacing recoil springs in early gen4s ... thought they were throwing gen3s in ( they must be putting NEW gen4s in it) , ty for the heads up about it, then. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. They have went through 3 different springs for the gen4 19's not sure about the 17's. In some cases a new extractor has been said to work but the majority have their issues fixed with the new 9mm ejectors that have 30274 stamped on them. The original had 336.

One of my 19's got a new spring and ejector while my 17 only got the new ejector.

6. iamthedood

guess I'm lucky that I bought my Gen4 later . ..
    I've never had a weapon w/ a faulty ejector spring, at least it's fixable ;)

7. rubikees

rubikees New Member

I bought the Gen 4 at the end of last year but you never know when the dealer received it. I had this problem with a Ruger and it did turn out to be a weak extractor that Ruger repaired for free even though I bought the pistol used. Hopefully the Glock Smith will be at the next show next month.

8. All you have to do is look at the test fire date and the number on the ejector.

9. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Just curious how do you know it isn't limpwristing? I see a Glock armor has taken anything Mechanical out of the equation so what else could it be? I have had a number of people tell me they aren't limp wristing it but when an experienced Glock shooter shoots the gun it doesn't stove pipe. Just a thought you might have another Glock shooter shoot it if you have ruled out mechanical issues or ammo.

10. This may be a nub question, but what is stovepiping?>

11. ahhh nvm just looked it up...... lol