Glaser Safety Slug ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Eye_Peeled, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Eye_Peeled

Eye_Peeled 8th Gen. Fla Cracker (not creepy though)

Anybody have any experience with the Glaser Safety Slug?

Somewhere recently, someone commented about using the same round your local LE used for various reasons.

So, tonight I was in a 7-11 store and two officers were inside making a purchase so I greeted them, thanked them for their service and proceeded to ask if they would be so kind as to share which round they used while on-duty and told them about the comment and using what local LE uses. So, one officer told me "Oh, no, you don't want to use what we use, for concealed carry you may want to consider the Glaser Safety Slug." He continued to tell me about ballistics, stopping power, etc. I'd never heard of it but I thanked him and told him I would check it out. What do you think?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

3. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

I have used the Glaser for many years and I really like them. Checking the track record of Glaser shows it to be a very effective cartridge.

4. Eye_Peeled

Sorry guys, I just saw your posts. Shooter, I did read that along with some other write-ups about it. It seems like it would be a decent inside the home round but I don't know if I would ever get the nerve up to just try it. It seems to be a little too frilly to me. I'm an old school type of person that likes a good old hollow point. Interesting concept though.

5. Eye_Peeled

Now you're probably thinking...well, why did you ask us then :)

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Valid question.

My 2 cents...the wiki states it creates large shallow wounds.

The FBI ( amongst others ) doesn't sanction a round unless it penetrates at least 12 inches in ballistic gelatin.

They must have a good reason for that...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012