Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright the question is gen 3 or gen 4...thoughts pros/cons.
I am looking at a G19 & G26. Is it worth that Lil extra or what? I know about the spring & the mag release...any thoughts?
Thanks in advance friends.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shot the both the 19 & 26 gen 3. Having trouble finding 4's to shoot. I like them both...just trying to justify spending more.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Well personally I'd have all Gen 4's if it weren't for the RTF2's and C models (which are only Gen 3). I like the slightly smaller grip of the Gen 4 (I don't use backstraps) and the texture is a lot better than the standard Gen 3. They all shoot the same though.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will do that. Thanks!

·
Supporting Member
568 Posts
I purchased the Gen.3 19 a month ago. They did not have any gen4s at the time. I think youll find little or no physical difference except for the backstrap. Internals are similar also, 3 or 4 it will still be a 9 mm G 19. Watch Hickok45 on you tube he tests both G19 3&4.

·
46 Posts
I got both Gen4 and Gen3. The main issue is that the gun is a Post 2002 Locking Block. Better lockup and I would take either provided

·
Call me Bronco...
133 Posts
Just depends on which you like. For me it's the Gen4... The only gen3's I like are the RTF2's. I would really like an RTF2 with the gen4 mag release!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
It's going to be a personal preference. For me, I always go with the gen 3. I don't want to spend the extra money for a gen 4 and I really don't like the grip of the gen 4. At least hold both and see what feels more comfortable. The one advantage I like about the gen 4 is it comes with adjustable backstraps so that you can change it to what is comfortable based on your hand. I still prefer the gen 3 grip though.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
For me it came down to the grip. I liked the feel of the G26 in Gen 3 the way it was. I got to play with a Gen 4 and found that I liked the grip on it that is the same as what the Gen 3 was supposed to be, so it was a no brain-er. I couldn't justify the extra money for a Gen 4 when the grip plate I would use would be the same as a Gen 3. I know that the Gen 4 comes with three mags as well, but I've got plenty of those, so that wasn't a concern either.

If you're not certain that you like the grip on the Gen 3 then I'd go with a Gen 4, but otherwise I can't see much of a difference.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting the G26 generation 4.

·
53 Posts
I got the gen 4 because the gen 3 grips were just a smidge too wide for me, and slightly smaller grip on the gen 4 without the backstrap is perfect. I also really liked how the gen 4 grip had a different grippy surface than the gen 3 as well. I just personally like it better. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have both the 26 and the 19..both good guns but you have to go based off personal preference..if your looking for a smaller more concealable 9mm the 26 is the way to go..you want something slightly bigger the may be more comfortable to shoot the 19 works just as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I posted this on another forum.

I've been having a problem with my Gen 4 27 in which the cause became clear in the last couple of days. Whenever I shoot that gun I get a small bruise on the tip of my ring finger. I enjoy shooting the 40cal round because I like the additional recoil over my 26. I have never felt it was that much more, but I just liked the feel of the added power.

I owned two XD Subcompact 40s that I liked, but when I would rent the 27 I found I enjoyed the Glock more. I gave one of the XDs to my oldest son and sold the other.

My LGS had two 27s in the case. One was a Gen 3 with an EXO finish and the other was a Gen 4. They were both the same price so I opted for the Gen 4. In retrospect I feel I made a big mistake.

I found out in the last few days that because of the shortened Gen 4 27 grip I need to make some sort of adaption to stop the gun from pinching me during recoil. Tonyparson suggested buying the old shorter mags and Peace Officer suggested putting an O-ring on the mag. Both of those are viable options, but a third option and the one I am most likely going with is to sell the Gen 4 and buy a Gen 3.

Apparently Glock has had some growing pains with the Gen 4 iteration. Between erratic ejections and pinching fingers, I hope they get this sorted out with their future models.

I believe if you bought the 26 you are probably OK. The 27 recoils more and that would enhance the pinch possibility. If your 26 starts to pinch your ring finger, I would recommend O-rings. Other then that, I am sticking with Gen 3 baby Glocks.

·
21 Posts
Well I had a gen 4 23 and is sometime would not eject right do to the recoil spring but it was the early model but I guess glock fixed it now I have a gen 3 g23 it's had 1000 rounds threw it it's been covered in mud to not one problem not sayin there anything wrong with the gen 4 but I prefer the gen 3

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have 4 Gen4 Glocks. G19,G34, G22 and a G35. I have had no problems and with the new spring design for the G22, G34, G35 the recoil is much better than Gen3 Glocks. My thought is why buy older models when a newer one is available and the cost difference is slowing dropping. At the end of the day, what matters is how you feel the gun feels in your hand. Try them out and then make a decision. I would fire at least a 100 rounds to make sure you like one over the other.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts