Gen5 26 failure to extract

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by RockL, Aug 3, 2020.

1. RockL

RockL Member

So i have a gen5 glock 26 with a round count somewhere around 8-9 thousand. I have had just a couple malfunctions with this pistol until last week when it seemed to loose the ability to extract a round. I detail cleaned the slide and put it back together, no improvement. So I replaced the extractor and extractor spring/ rod with a Suarez branded one, no improvement. During live fire it will send the slide to the rear without pulling the spent case from the chamber. This results in a double feed. When I chamber a round and pull the slide back by hand it will pull the case about halfway out of the chamber before the extractor claw simply slips off of the case. I don't notice any additional resistance as this happens. Any suggestions? 20200803_150931.jpeg

2. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting Member

It appears that something is keeping the extractor from seating properly in the slide.

In the picture below, the gap indicated by the red arrow shouldn't be there and the tip of the extractor claw should be at about the red line.

Extractor malfunction 1d.jpg

My guess is that if you determine why the extractor is 'out of position', you'll have found the problem.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    SJ 40 and Silver-Bolt like this.

3. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Worth a shot to go over the area where the extractor sits with a pick/dental tool. Sometimes carbon can look like the metal.

rbbeers likes this.
  4. Olga17

Olga17 C19 sounds like G19 Supporter

Here is a pic of G26 overhead shot.
    Typical 336 ejector and MIM extractor that actually works.
    20200803_170625.jpg

rbbeers likes this.
  5. RockL

RockL Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have detail cleaned all parts involved and the problem remains. Time to take this to someone smarter than I

6. Danzig

Texas
    Send to Glock? Or drop an email?

7. Olga17

If you send to Glock put all factory OEM parts back in the firearm.

Mike6tx and mtelep like this.
  8. rbbeers

The position of the extractor should be as shown in the picture below (red arrow).

Extractor malfunction 3b.jpg

In your picture, it seems that something in the extractor or firing pin safety cutout is 'in the way' and won't allow the extractor to seat properly.

A piece of debris (metal?) may be firmly lodged somewhere it's not supposed to be. If that's the case, I'm not sure a 'simple' cleaning will correct the issue.

Also, to Danzig's point, if excessive carbon residue has 'built up' in the extractor slot (binding the extractor), the hard residue can look like the slide (but it's not) and can be very difficult to remove... even with a small pick.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Danzig likes this.
  9. Silver-Bolt

Silver-Bolt Well-Known Member

Have you tried it with factory new parts installed? I agree with the above that something is preventing the extractor from it's correct position.

10. RockL

RockL Member

I have not tried factory new parts (yet). Will be taking it to a friend that has a sonic parts cleaner. Will see if that helps before investing in any more parts

11. mtelep

mtelep Junior Member Supporter

It’s been my experience that Glock will remove all the non factory parts and install factory. You’ll get all the parts in a bag.

Olga17 and Danzig like this.
  12. Danzig

Texas
    Unless you have a cantankerous Glock Armorer do it in front of you. He’ll usually curse you and throw the offending parts in the trash in front of you or if at a shooting range, at the berm.

Lucian_253, Olga17 and mtelep like this.
  13. Olga17

This is why I suggested sending in with the Glock parts.
    Anything after market tends to be an Omen.

mtelep and Danzig like this.
  14. Danzig

Texas
    Not just Glock. I hear other manufacturers do similarly.

mtelep and Olga17 like this.
  15. rbbeers

If you haven't found the problem, the following may help.

The extractor seat areas are shown in the picture below (red arrows).

Extractor malfunction 4c.jpg

Note that, while these parts are 'clean', there is indeed carbon buildup on the slide immediately adjacent to where the extractor actually engages the seat.

Any significant carbon buildup (or other impediment) on the seat will not allow the extractor to seat properly.

Best regards,

Bob

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Silver-Bolt and Danzig like this.
  16. RockL

RockL Member

Thank you for the detailed pictures and explanation. I took the extractor back out and the areas indicated appear to be very clean and free of any deposits or build up. As i mentioned earlier, I will be having a friend clean this for me, possibly as early as this weekend. I will update

rbbeers and Olga17 like this.
  17. Mike6tx

Mike6tx Member

What type of ammo are you using? I have found the 26 they can be picky on the ammo you run through them!

18. Olga17

How did this work out?

IMHO a G26 or 19 or 17 should be able to fire 115g range ammo all day long.
    If not, then back the bench for some additional work.

19. RockL

RockL Member

After a good bath in the sonic cleaner it worked fine..... for about 15 rounds, then back to the same old problem. I have emailed glock and am awaiting further instruction from there warranty department

Lucian_253 likes this.
  20. rbbeers

Update?

Just curious. :)

Best regards,

Bob