Glock Forum banner

Gen3 or gen4 19?

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Eye_Peeled 
#1 ·
Going to pick one of them up tomorrow, already have my 26 G3. But I don't want to get the gen4 and regret it. Price isn't the issue so just any input or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys

#3 ·
I don't think that you could really go wrong. I have the Gen 4 and love it but I appreciate the Gen 3s too. The new gip on the Gen 4s fits me better than Gen 3 grips though. If you can try out both you should and make your decision based on the feel in your hand probably.

#4 ·
Not too much of a difference between the two Gens...

The Gen 4 has...

* dual recoil spring
* interchangeable back straps
* RTF3 texture (rough texture frame)
* magazine release that can be switched to use left or right handed

#10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, I think reliability was my main concern with the gen4 but I'm leaning towards it because i did love the feel of the grip. I appreciate all the quick feed back. I'll post pics later when I get her!
Love to see them! Really, mine are both gen4 and you will not be dissapointed!

#11 ·
I have 2 gen 4 g19s and I love them. However, I'm probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like the RTF. Because of that I have to wear an undershirt when I carry in my crossbreed holster. But it's a Glock so no matter what reliability is not an issue!

#17 ·
ZombieNinja said:
I carry my Gen3 19. Don't have complaints. What made it so bad? Love my Gen3
I don't think there is anything"bad" about the gen 3! I love it but there is a noticeable difference in recoil between the 3 and 4. I would rather shoot the 4 but cc the gen 3... I HATE the RTF

#18 ·
I will say that the difference is only noticeable if you shoot hundreds of rounds through one an switch to the other OR you shoot one then immediately switch to the other... If you haven't or don't you probably won't notice the difference.

#19 ·
Gen3 all the way. If it isn't broke, why fix it. Several people i know have complained that the gen 4 jams on them. I have a 17 gen3 that i bought in '07. and up until now, i haven't had a single jam in it yet. I've shot ball ammo, hollow points and rat shot through it, rapid fire.

#20 ·
I have heard several people complain about the gen4 jamming on them as well but I have over 3000 rounds through my 19 and never had a ftf. Ok once with a bad reload but other than that it eats any junk ammo I decide to try. My wife on the other hand jams about every other shot because she doesn't get the concept of locking her wrist...

#21 ·
I have yet to have a jam in my Gen4 G19. I have let a few different kids shoot it who were definitely limp wristing before I smacked them around and made them stop. It has yet to have a jam of any kind. I have shot every cheap ammo I could run through it (with the exception of TulAmmo) with nary a problem.

I am very happy with the way the Gen4 feels in hand but I despise the texture. I remedied that by placing a rubber, slip-over grip on it. If you do get a Gen4 and don't wear a tee-shirt between the gun and yourself...go ahead and get someone to hit your side for a couple of seconds with a belt sander and get it over with right away...Okay...maybe it's not that bad.

I chose the Gen4 for my first Glock because I am left handed and the Mag catch stuck out too far and rubbed the inside of my finger when I shot it (I like to have the mag catch oriented for a RHer). Since then, however, I saw where someone had rounded off the corners of the mag catch on a Gen3. So, I have since bought one (G30SF) and did the same thing. I softened the corners with a file all the way around the surface and you can't even tell; it looks like factory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.