Gen3, gen4

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by lbwar15, Jun 11, 2012.

1. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I am relatively new to glocks. I have never payed them much attention until recently. I am planing on getting a g19 and a g20. But before I git it I need to knot the difference in gen3 and gen4.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Main difference is the additional backstraps you get with the Gen 4 Glocks...

Then... the fact that you can switch the mag release to the opposite side if you are a "lefty"

If you do, you must use Gen 4 mags...otherwise, Gen 3 magazines will work.

Mighty big difference between a G19 and a G20 too...you may want to look at this:

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

So there is a difference other than size and caliber?

4. chief203

chief203 New Member

There is a difference in caliber between G19 and G20. Then there are respective differences between gen3's and gen4's.

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I know g19 is 9mm and g20 is 10mm. And I know the difference between the 2. I am new to glocks. But I am by no means new to firearms in general.

But I did need to know the difference in gen 3 and 4. Lol

6. chief203

chief203 New Member

In that case... Below is a list from my 2 Glocks.

Gen 4 has: 1. Lefty / righty magazines. 2. Reversible mag release 3. Round in chamber indicator 4. Changeable backstraps 5. More textured grips 6. Dual spring recoil spring 7. Slightly more angled ejection port 8. Larger magazine release button 9. Magazines are 6th generation (other than lefty/righty, the follower that pushes rounds up is different)

May have other internal or more technical differences but these are all readily visible while handling weapon.

7. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

There is no Gen 4 Glock 20 yet. So that's off the table. I'm waiting though, kinda fancy having one when & if they come out.