Glock Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, noob here. I'm new to glocks but grew up hunting and shooting. With my father being a LEO I've shot my fair share of handguns but mostly i shoot hunting long guns. I'm getting my CCW and a friend of mine has a G19 gen2 he is going to give me because he does not want it anymore. This gun will be coming to me third hand, (as in he bought it used off the guy who bought it for his duty pistol). Anything i need to look for, replace, or otherwise keep an eye on? I have no clue as to how many rounds have been put through it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey all, noob here. I'm new to glocks but grew up hunting and shooting. With my father being a LEO I've shot my fair share of handguns but mostly i shoot hunting long guns. I'm getting my CCW and a friend of mine has a G19 gen2 he is going to give me because he does not want it anymore. This gun will be coming to me third hand, (as in he bought it used off the guy who bought it for his duty pistol). Anything i need to look for, replace, or otherwise keep an eye on? I have no clue as to how many rounds have been put through it. Thanks for the help.
If you know how to break it down do so and generally inspect it. I have a circa 1994 Gen2 with about 15,000 rds down the pipe and short of finish wear it runs like a champ and I've yet to replace any parts (minus the connector). The Glock really can take a serious beating and just keep going. Chances are it'll be just fine...........

If your really worried about it bring it to a local gunsmith and ask him to look it over.

·
Registered
277 Posts
ya i need to get my hands on it to get a feel of it
Personally all my Gen2's seem to have better triggers than my Gen3's. I suppose it's because they have more rounds down range and are just broke in better.
I don't own a Gen4 so can't really attest to that one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Some of the earliest Gen2's had internal parts which Glock will voluntarily upgrade, you can tell if yours has the old parts if the trigger bar is coated black. The newest trigger bars will be coated silver. You can read more about that upgrade here:
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html (the picture on the page is animated and cycles through a few different pictures)

I'd also check to see that the slide lock spring is the newer thicker version. Early Glocks had a thinner slide lock spring that was more prone to breaking and leaving a broken off piece in the frame that even Glock Inc has trouble removing. In the following picture, you can see the old thin version on the left, and the new thicker version on the right:

If the serial number has a two-letter prefix of AA through EG, you have to use a special trigger bar in that frame, it's commonly referred to as the "pre-EH G19 trigger bar". The dimensions of early G19's made it necessary for the trigger bar to have a higher sear portion to the trigger bar, making other 9mm trigger bars incompatible with that frame.

There are also the two following "upgrades" which may be necessary for your G19:
1990 Upgrade

Glock Model 19, 9mm Luger caliber, requires an upgrade for the following serial numbers:

AN, BP, BR, BV, BW, BX, DL, DM, DN, DP, DR, DS, DT, DV, DW, DX, DY, DZ
These pistols may have the potential of the action to malfunction as follows:
1. The slide locking back on a full magazine.
2. Failure to lock into battery because the barrel lug drags on the slide lock.
3. The magazine follower tips or sticks in the magazine tube.
1993, G19 Upgrade

Glock Model 19, 9mm Luger caliber, requires an upgrade for all pistols.

These pistols have the potential for an UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE of a cartridge with the action open.

The Glock model 19 pistol slide has a bottom protrusion, whose function is to push cartridges from the top of the magazine into the chamber. When the pistol is jammed in a double feed situation, the slide protrusion can come in contact with the primer of the jammed cartridge and cause UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARGE while the action is open.
You can call Glock, talk to the Warranty Service Department, and give them the serial number of the gun. They'll be able to tell you what if any upgrades should be done to your G19.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts