Featured Gen 5 Rear Sight Improvement

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by JJHNSN, Sep 9, 2017.

1. JJHNSN

JJHNSN Member

I picked up my Glock 19 Gen 5 today and was really impressed by the improved rear sight, making it easier to pick up the front post. A definite plus.

[​IMG]

Easy_CZ, kennydale and TheFactor like this.
  2. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Active Member

I see the front sight is thinner allowing for more precision.

kennydale and phonejack like this.

3. JJHNSN

JJHNSN Member

I can't say for sure, but it sure seems to be. I'm going to get out my digital calipers and verify that, but that was my thought too, they made the rear notch wider and deeper and if they made that front post thinner too...awesome.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  4. Gandof

Gandof Member Supporter

Are those real sights, or a new style of the old plastics? I hear Glock is offering steel sights on some of their guns.

5. JJHNSN

JJHNSN Member

These are the basic sights that come on the Gen 5 Glock 19 and 17. Yes, they are real.

6. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

When you check, also take a look see at the white dot on the front sight ... appears to be closer to the very top?

7. Exit Plan

Exit Plan Member

8. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

Are the 'REAL SIGHTS' metal?

9. Exit Plan

Exit Plan Member

Yessir

10. JJHNSN

JJHNSN Member

The Gen 5 19 and 17 come with three sight options:

(1) The standard Glock factory sights which are polymer (the rear sight has been changed slightly - which is what this thread is about).

(2) Glock factory night sights (which are steel).

(3) Ameriglo sights

This thread is about the Glock standard rear sight which was changed, for the better, as per the OP comments and picture.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    g30shooter likes this.
  11. Gandof

Gandof Member Supporter

Ok, then those are the plastic ones. The night sights and the Ameriglos are optional.

12. JJHNSN

JJHNSN Member

Yes: the standard Glock factory sights.

13. Gandof

Gandof Member Supporter

It's been awhile since I've shot a Glock with the standard sights, but it did seem the front sight filled the rear notch. If you plan to change the sights, look at the Dawson sight sets. Most of my Glocks get the black rear, and .105 wide FO front. Great, quick to acquire sight picture. Great for range work, durable, and excel for action pistol sports. They also make great night sights if that's your preference.

14. Exit Plan

Exit Plan Member

The polymer sights would " wash out" in bright sunlight, for my eyes anyway

15. JJHNSN

JJHNSN Member

There is something that is lost on most discussions about Glocks and their factory sights. For the vast majority of the purposes for which the Glock was intended, and designed, the stock sights work just fine. They provide more than enough "minute of man" accuracy in the hands of those using them at the distances they are using them.

For geeks on gun forums like us, seeking to eek out every last millimeter of accuracy and so forth...they are deplorable and must be replaced.

:)

16. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the stock sights ... my eye/brain coordinates well with the 'drop in the bucket'

Exit Plan and kennydale like this.
  17. Gandof

Gandof Member Supporter

The plastic sights are ok for casual use. For carry or competition, there are better choices. At least the ones on the gen 5 do provide a better sight picture than earlier generations.

18. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

The stock sights shoot out to 100 yards quite well. Ones' opine on sights may depend on how well the seer sees!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  19. Gandof

Gandof Member Supporter

Agreed, Bill. They do provide a point of reference for sighting, albeit a temporary one.

20. Retired1

Retired1 Active Member Supporter

Interestingly, the rear sight on EVERY Gen 5 my LGS has gotten is installed sitting as far to the right as possible. I actually went there and looked at 5 of them. All were exactly the same. They said the ones they sold already were the same way. They have an indoor range and have given their customers the option of sighting in the Glocks and assisting with adjusting the rear sight for proper windage.

Very strange.