Glock Firearms banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Yep! :D

My "addiction" helps me acquire knowledge that's truly factual and accurate... not 'knowledge' that's based on assumptions and hearsay. :)

Best regards,

Bob
Or anecdotal observations, or internet yadayada. It's only data if you can measure the properties and quantify it.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I’m sure Bob is an Engineering Professor at some top school. A Physics teacher at least.
Thanks for the kinds words, but I'm just an old retired engineer. :D

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Or anecdotal observations, or internet yadayada. It's only data if you can measure the properties and quantify it.
Yep! I agree. :)

Furthermore, even our most respected references contain errors and mistakes.

From an early age, many times, what I was assured to be true... well... wasn't... which is why I started "doing my own thing"... and making my own decisions.

But, that's just me. :rolleyes: :D

Best regards,

Bob

·
Glockin’ since 1993
43,332 Posts
One of the best things about this forum is all the information available.

This is invaluable to everyone. In the days before the internet, there was a lot of guessing and trial and error us older members went through.

It’s a bit embarrassing but I myself shot a number of ammo with setback bullets caused by clearing and loading my firearm as a cop. Luckily I never suffered a kaboom. Another thing I didn’t know was why soft lead reloads are not good for Glocks, HK and IMI/IWI guns. I found that out myself. My first pistol as a 21 year old was a IMI Uzi pistol (still got it), I went to my local range and bought the cheapest ammo, lead reloads. Well let me tell you, again I was lucky no kaboom. When I got it home it looked like I had a mass of lead bubblegum in the bore. Took me forever to clean it out.

Now some info is scientific but most is through each other’s experiences. Lots of years and ammo down range experience from a whole lot of people.

I appreciate it all. I’m always learning and like to give back when I can.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Since I don't have a Glock OEM 10-round magazine to test, given all this consternation, I ordered one. ;)

It should be here in a few days.

Stay tuned... :rolleyes: :D
The magazine arrived and I used it in each of the six stages of last night's match.

It functioned flawlessly. :)

And, lucky me, a recent ex-Californian was running a G17.4 with... wait for it... five 10-round magazines... all of which functioned flawlessly as well. :D

Furthermore, the shooter stated that the 10-round magazines had always performed perfectly.

As is typical, the new magazine spring was 'stiff' until I cycled it several times.

But even new, it accepted 10 rounds and the 10th round could be pressed 'down' about 1/8", allowing sufficient room for the cartridge pickup rail on the slide to 'do its job' without binding the slide.

The pictures below are of the new 10-round magazine after using it in the match.

With 10 rounds in the magazine, the position of the follower is shown below.

Gas Auto part Metal Plastic Automotive exterior

The 'spring seat' of the follower sits about 0.850" from the bottom of the magazine.

The spring is 10 coils of 0.050" diameter spring wire... so at full compression, the spring consumes 0.500" or 60% of the available travel.

In other words, with 10 rounds in the magazine, the spring is not fully compressed.

Also, note the position of the rear flange of the follower. I'm quite puzzled as to how shortening the rear flange of the follower accomplishes anything except making the rear flange shorter. :confused:

The picture below shows the position of the top cartridge in a fully loaded 10-round magazine.

Photograph Purple Red Material property Gas

The picture below shows the position of the top cartridge with the spring fully compressed.

Purple Material property Wood Gas Electric blue

It seems to me that Glock OEM 10-round magazines function exactly as they are intended.

That said, the spring does seem a bit stiffer than my Glock OEM 17-round magazine springs.

And, with a 'light' or weak RSA spring or if the slide is binding slightly, I suppose it's possible that the additional pressure of a stiffer 'fully loaded 10-round magazine' spring could be 'the straw that breaks the camels back', causing the slide to short cycle and failure to feed malfunctions.

However, in my opinion, with properly operating pistols, the Glock OEM 10-round magazines should function just fine.

But that's just me... :D

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
An update to post #48...

To reduce the 10 round magazine spring tension slightly, I cut off one coil of the spring... it was then easier to load the magazine to full capacity. In fact, with a bit of thumb pressure, I could force an 11th round into the magazine.

It seems that the fully compressed OEM spring actually limits the magazine to 10 rounds... so I presume that those in jurisdictions limited to 10 round magazines can't legally shortened the spring.

Also, although the 'one coil short' spring applies slightly less pressure on one round in the 10 round magazine than does the OEM spring on one round in a 17 round magazine, the 10 round magazine continued to function flawlessly... that is, while the weaker spring feeds cartridges a bit slower, it's still fast enough that there are no feed issues.

And, to the OP's original problem, I couldn't cause a failure to feed with the 10 round magazine by 'slam loading' the magazine... with either spring... nor did I have feed/battery issues with fully loaded magazines.

Well... I think I'm done with this effort. :rolleyes: :D

Hope it helped. :)

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
i bought a new gen 5 glock 17 for IDPA. I am having problems during the match when after going to slide lock I firmly insert a new mag with enough force that the slide closes but does not pick up a round which means there is a loud click but no bang. This happens about half the time and does so with a new gock 17 round mag with 10 rounds in it and with the same mag with a TTI mag extension on it and all my other new glock mags. I actually like the slide releasing when I insert the mag firmly on this gun as it does on my most of my other pistols that I use for competition.

I really don’t have much glock time and would appreciate ideas.
Try not loading the mag completely with the last 2 rounds. New Glock mags come with ridiculously strong mag springs that take forever to break-in. The round at the top of a fully loaded new mag makes it difficult to insert the mag completely, slamming the top of the slide causing the lock to release it, and not always stripping the mag of the round.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts