Glock Firearms banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So help me understand. What is releasing the slide lock lever with this technique?
A lot of semi auto pistols will do this. If you seat the magazine hard it bumps the slide release and the slide closes and chambers a new round all in in one motion. Most folks like this and some don’t. It does save some time if you are shooting a match. Don’t know the self defense implications.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
So help me understand. What is releasing the slide lock lever with this technique?
Inertia... upon impact, the frame moves forward faster and farther than the slide, thus releasing the slide stop lever.

To demonstrate what happens, hold an empty pistol (with the slide locked to the rear) as shown below.

Hand Finger Camera accessory Gadget Thumb

Smack the back strap in the direction of the green arrow (below).

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

With a sufficiently sharp smack, the slide will slam into battery.

Now hold the pistol (with the slide locked to the rear) as shown below and smack the front strap in the direction of the red arrow (above).

Hand Finger Camera accessory Thumb Gas

My guess is all that happened is you hurt your hand... and the slide didn't return to battery.

Why?

When you smacked the back strap, the frame moved forward faster than the slide... inertia slowed the forward movement of the slide long enough for the slide stop lever to disengage.

When you smacked the front strap, the movement of the frame simply forced a tighter fit between the slide and the slide stop lever... so it didn't disengage.

It's a bit more complex when the bottom of the stock (the magazine well) is smacked... the force splits, as shown below.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material

However, due to the angle of the stock, most of the force is directed forward... which means, with a sufficiently sharp smack, the slide stop lever will release... just as it did when you smacked the back strap above.

Hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
It's kind of a little trick. Newer Glocks don't behave well with a slammed mag, but after 20K or so, they are happy.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Inertia... upon impact, the frame moves forward faster and farther than the slide, thus releasing the slide stop lever.

To demonstrate what happens, hold an empty pistol (with the slide locked to the rear) as shown below.

View attachment 174813

Smack the back strap in the direction of the green arrow (below).

View attachment 174815

With a sufficiently sharp smack, the slide will slam into battery.

Now hold the pistol (with the slide locked to the rear) as shown below and smack the front strap in the direction of the red arrow (above).

View attachment 174817

My guess is all that happened is you hurt your hand... and the slide didn't return to battery.

Why?

When you smacked the back strap, the frame moved forward faster than the slide... inertia slowed the forward movement of the slide long enough for the slide stop lever to disengage.

When you smacked the front strap, the movement of the frame simply forced a tighter fit between the slide and the slide stop lever... so it didn't disengage.

It's a bit more complex when the bottom of the stock (the magazine well) is smacked... the force splits, as shown below.

View attachment 174819

However, due to the angle of the stock, most of the force is directed forward... which means, with a sufficiently sharp smack, the slide stop lever will release... just as it did when you smacked the back strap above.

Hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

Bob
Bob,

Excellent, crystal clear description along with detailed photographs!

That does make sense now, especially considering the mass of the slide and the motion imparted to the frame when struck. Thanks for the time it took you to create this explanation!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Bob,

Excellent, crystal clear description along with detailed photographs!

That does make sense now, especially considering the mass of the slide and the motion imparted to the frame when struck. Thanks for the time it took you to create this explanation!!

Dave
Thanks! :)

You're very welcome... glad to help. :D

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And the story continues.....I bought a glock 10 round mag to solve this problem and discovered a new problem. The new 10 round mag has a spring so strong that I couldn’t get all 10 rounds in without the help of an uplula loader. When I racked a round in and fired the gun I had a failure to feed as in go entirely into battery. Same on the second round. These rounds work fine in the 17 round mags. Looks like the I am back to square one.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
And the story continues.....I bought a glock 10 round mag to solve this problem and discovered a new problem. The new 10 round mag has a spring so strong that I couldn’t get all 10 rounds in without the help of an uplula loader. When I racked a round in and fired the gun I had a failure to feed as in go entirely into battery. Same on the second round. These rounds work fine in the 17 round mags. Looks like the I am back to square one.
Forcing the 'last' round into a magazine can damage the magazine spring and bind the slide.

Please refer to...

G27 mag problem
https://www.glockforum.com/threads/g27-mag-problem.54191/#post-1438841

Some questions...

Is the new 10-round magazine a Glock OEM magazine?

What is the spring weight of the RSA?

Does the RSA pass the following test?

Recoil Spring Test

With your new magazine 'fully loaded', does the slide go into battery when it's racked manually?

Depending on your answers, I may have more questions.

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
10 round Glock sticks have always sucked. So load up 9 rounds and leave it for a few weeks. It will eventually soften the spring. Then when you can get 10 in, load it from slide lock, not overhead cranking.

If you can get 17 round sticks, why even bother with the 10's.

New Glocks don't behave as well. It will get better after 10,000 rounds or so.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Since I don't have a Glock OEM 10-round magazine to test, given all this consternation, I ordered one. ;)

It should be here in a few days.

Stay tuned... :rolleyes: :D

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Sounds like a good addiction to me.
Yep! :D

My "addiction" helps me acquire knowledge that's truly factual and accurate... not 'knowledge' that's based on assumptions and hearsay. :)

Best regards,

Bob

21 - 40 of 52 Posts