Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a new gen 5 glock 17 for IDPA. I am having problems during the match when after going to slide lock I firmly insert a new mag with enough force that the slide closes but does not pick up a round which means there is a loud click but no bang. This happens about half the time and does so with a new gock 17 round mag with 10 rounds in it and with the same mag with a TTI mag extension on it and all my other new glock mags. I actually like the slide releasing when I insert the mag firmly on this gun as it does on my most of my other pistols that I use for competition.

I really don’t have much glock time and would appreciate ideas.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also have a Glock 17 that I use for IDPA, and it has functioned flawless using an overhand slide release or a direct release of the slide lock lever.

To better diagnose your issue, we need to understand how you are releasing the slide lock lever.

I have always considered inserting the new magazine and releasing the slide to be two separate actions.

Dave

·
Glockin’ since 1993
43,394 Posts
A lot of Glocks drop the slide upon “hard” mag insertion.
Unfortunately for the OP his ain’t picking up that top round and feeding it like mine have always done.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
i bought a new gen 5 glock 17 for IDPA. I am having problems during the match when after going to slide lock I firmly insert a new mag with enough force that the slide closes but does not pick up a round which means there is a loud click but no bang. This happens about half the time and does so with a new gock 17 round mag with 10 rounds in it and with the same mag with a TTI mag extension on it and all my other new glock mags. I actually like the slide releasing when I insert the mag firmly on this gun as it does on my most of my other pistols that I use for competition.

I really don’t have much glock time and would appreciate ideas.
The only way that can happen is if the top cartridge 'isn't there' when the cartridge pickup rail of the slide passes where the top cartridge is supposed to be.

For that to happen, you'd have to strike the bottom of the magazine with sufficient force to cause the cartridges in the magazine to 'duck under' the pickup rail as the slide moves forward from slide lock.

If this is indeed happening, then the two solutions are to strike the bottom of the magazine less forcefully or use stiffer magazine springs.

A way to test this may be to fully load a 'problem' magazine and see if problem persists. It seems to me that, with a fully loaded magazine, the cartridges would have very little room to 'duck under' the slide pickup rail.

Update: By the way, I just replicated your 'problem'... but I have to say that I smacked the bottom of the magazine really, REALLY hard.

Best regards,

Bob

·
Glockin’ since 1993
43,394 Posts
Motor vehicle Gun Blue Automotive exterior Product
As an aside, S&W reengineered their M&P 2.0 series to absolutely not have slide release upon hard mag insertions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of Glocks drop the slide upon “hard” mag insertion.
Unfortunately for the OP his ain’t picking up that top round and feeding it like mine have always done.
Correct.....I thought My hand might be contacting the frame before the mag was seated causing the slide to close before the mag was fully seated but the same issue happens with the TTI mag extension installed which means that the slide is fully seated before things happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only way that can happen is if the top cartridge 'isn't there' when the cartridge pickup rail of the slide passes where the top cartridge is supposed to be.

For that to happen, you'd have to strike the bottom of the magazine with sufficient force to cause the cartridges in the magazine to 'duck under' the pickup rail as the slide moves forward from slide lock.

If this is indeed happening, then the two solutions are to strike the bottom of the magazine less forcefully or use stiffer magazine springs.

A way to test this may be to fully load a 'problem' magazine and see if problem persists. It seems to me that, with a fully loaded magazine, the cartridges would have very little room to 'duck under' the slide pickup rail.

Update: By the way, I just replicated your 'problem'... but I have to say that I smacked the bottom of the magazine really, REALLY hard.

Best regards,

Bob

Good idea. IDPA only allow 10 rounds in the 17 round mag which means there is plenty of room for the rounds to compress after the mag is slapped but before it is seated. Your reply makes plenty of sense......THANKS

·
Glockin’ since 1993
43,394 Posts
Noticed it with my first Glock, a gen2 21, back in the early 90’s.

Bothers some people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Noticed it with my first Glock, a gen2 21, back in the early 90’s.

Bothers some people.
I guess I need to find a heavier mag spring to use with IDPA. I don’t why I play that silly game but trigger time is trigger time. Know who sells a heavier mag spring?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
43,394 Posts
I have one of those and I have problems finding the dot on my RTS2.....when I changed to the glock 17 the dot is right there and life is good.
One of the biggest reasons that seasoned shooters and cops said to me that they didn’t like the Glock was the grip angle.
Causing the inverse of your issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Best regards,

Bob

The last piece of this puzzle is that I am shooting 147 grain bullets which will compress more than lighter bullets.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
The last piece of this puzzle is that I am shooting 147 grain bullets which will compress more than lighter bullets.
Agreed... I tested a stock G17.4 and a stock magazine loaded with 10 dummy rounds, each made with a 125 gr bullet, a case, no primer, and no powder.

With really sharp smacks, I consistently chambered air.

Physics says it would indeed require less effort to cause the 'problem' with the additional weight of 147 gr bullets, primers, and powder.

Best regards,

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like a heavier mag spring would probably solve your problem. I have a friend who actually runs the mag springs from the 33 round glock mags in his g34 gen 4 mags for IDPA. I doubt that you could still get 17 rounds in his mags, but it seems to work well loaded to division capacity.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts