Gen 5 17 Connector Wear

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by John McGrady, Oct 2, 2019.

1. John McGrady

John McGrady New Member

9229739E-F095-41BF-A000-57BE625ECBC3.jpeg Hi everyone. I’m a new Glock owner and picked up a gen 5 17 a couple of weeks ago. I have about 300 rounds through it and noticed some wear on the inside of the slide. From what I’ve researched this is where the connector interfaces with the slide when the trigger resets. Can anyone tell me if they have this wear mark in their Glock and if so, is this normal?

Southlake and JASlings like this.
  2. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Good morning John, welcome to the Glock Forum. We have a resident expert here. His name is Bob and hopefully he will see this and help you out. Whatever he tells you, just take it to the bank.

@rbbeers

Peepaw likes this.

3. TheKraken

TheKraken Surviving Covid-19 Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum John. Ditto on @rbbeers.

4. FredWyn

FredWyn Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a nasty looking scratch/gouge. Looks like somebody keyed your slide!

5. John McGrady

John McGrady New Member

Anyone think this is cause for concern? I know the finish on this generation shows more wear than previous generations.

6. FredWyn

If I remember, I will look at my four Gen 5s to see if there is the same scratch/gouge on the slide.

7. John McGrady

John McGrady New Member

Thanks, much appreciated!

8. Peepaw

Peepaw Well-Known Member

Is it actually scratched or is it just a mark?

9. John McGrady

John McGrady New Member

It’s more of finish being worn off than a scratch in the metal. With so few rounds through it I was starting to question if that was to be expected or if I need to be lubricating it more.

FredWyn likes this.
  10. FredWyn

I just looked at all four of my Glock Gen 5 pistols: 26, 45, 17 and 34...each of them has the same wear mark line and that is all that it is, a wear mark. Absolutely **nothing** to be concerned about, it's not from the connector, by the way, but the transfer bar (Bob can correct me here, if I'm wrong).

Keep shooting brother, not to worry. I had to hold them up under my workbench lamp to see it, frankly, but ... yup ... there it was. It is not a gouge, just wear.

Southlake likes this.
  11. FredWyn

12. Southlake

Southlake Island Life Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

He works hard here for free. Every now and then we all take a break.

TheKraken and FredWyn like this.
  13. FredWyn

I hear that.

TheKraken and Southlake like this.
  14. John McGrady

John McGrady New Member

Awesome thanks so much!

15. Deneen

Deneen Member

I just looked at my 4 Glocks, and none of them have that scratch? Wear? Take it to your local gunsmith for a peek.

16. FredWyn

It is absolutely not anything to be concerned about, just a wear mark, completely normal. It's on all four of my Gen 5 Glocks. No worries.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  17. I always lubricate the contact area of the connector
    It seems only the worn finish.

Southlake likes this.
  18. David Farkas

David Farkas New Member

definitely need to be concerned. that's not normal

19. FredWyn

Again...perfectly normal...nothing to be concerned about. The photo is exaggerating it due to lighting etc. All my Gen 5 Glocks have the same line. No biggie.

20. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

I just checked my G19 Gen 5 and it has exactly the same wear mark. I probably have about 2000 rounds through it.

TheKraken, FredWyn and Southlake like this.