Gen 4 Recoil Spring

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by AuxSix, Apr 11, 2012.

1. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

So I finally remembered to order my exchange spring today. Silly question I'll need to "break it in" correct? Thx!

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Yep, shoot the hell out of it to break it in :D

3. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

Sweet! Now I can "justify" buying a few hundred rounds of ammo to the GF.

4. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

No break-in required. Please keep in mind, you should be replacing your recoil spring every three to five thousand rounds.

5. I dont. I wait until failures happen.

Still waiting.....

6. cvitter

cvitter New Member

LOL, I sort of agree. I have 4000+ rounds in my Gen 4 G19 and I can't tell any difference now in how it shoots vs when it was new. I'd be willing to bet that the actual life span of an RSA is much longer than the recommended replacement cycle. I will however be replacing the RSA sooner than later though because my G19 is an EDC and I think that your EDC should be kept in the best possible state of readiness. Right now I am thinking at 5000 rounds.

7. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

I thought the DRSAs lasted like 7k rounds. Maybe I heard wrong though.

8. AuxSix

AuxSix New Member

It's kinda like the body armor warranty only lasting five years but them lasting twenty during the government testing. I have a coworker that has a Sig P226 in 9x19 set up for competition that has had almost 27,000 rounds through it on all original parts.

But if the gun is defense/duty/carry swap it out on time I'd say.

9. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Yea but you know how to test it. The rule of thumb is for the every day Joe and like you said, those EDC guns that you want to run like new, in case of dire need.