Gen 4 in California - SSE - Single Shot Exemption

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by NoMoss, Jul 23, 2012.

1. NoMoss

NoMoss New Member

I've seen this come up a few times in different threads. The basic question is: "I want a GEN4 Glock, but it's not on CA DOJ Approved List". I had the same question. My first hand experience is that I have a GEN4 Glock 22. Purchasing a NEW gun from a FFL requires it to be on the CA DOJ List or an acceptable exemption. Transfers (example - purchase a Gen4 from LEO) are allowed for a Gen4.

Quick summary, purchasing a new GEN4 Glock in California is not easy. The list of approved guns have all the safety and approvals from the appropriate bodies.

A couple of things which are holding up the GEN4 Glocks are a magazine disconnect, and High Visability (and with glyphs) loaded chamber indicator. Gosh, I know - first thing we alway learn is a gun is always loaded until YOU prove otherwise and then treat it as if it is loaded.

There is a different forum which focuses on California Gun issues - calguns.net . This is where I got most of my information to check before I pursued my purchase.

Sorry for posting a link to another forum, but for CA issues, they seem to have the most reliable info.

Link to SSE Thread:
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692

What is a SSE? Simply, a Single Shot Exemption is a longer barrel which also blocks the magazine feed. The longer barrel then alows the gun to be registered LEGALLY as a SSE.

What are the steps to getting a SSE GEN4?
    1. Gun Shop converts the gun to SSE
    2. Gun Shop registers (DROS) and customer waits ten days
    3. Gun Shop delivers the gun to customer
    4. Customer converts back to normal barrel. Done as a field strip and barrel replace.
    What is the additional Cost? - the Cost is usally List for that model + (SSE Cost) + Tax + Fees. List, Tax and Fees are the same as any other purchase. The SSE Cost is USUALLY around $50-$100. Some gun shops treat this added cost as a deposit, when you return in 2 minutes with the SSE barrel, they refund the cost. Some shops don't treat this as a deposit - It's an additional cost. I worked with two guns shops in my area and the one I purchased at did not treat it as a deposit. The one I wanted to go through, did the deposit mode. I wanted my G22 and the other shop didn't have it in stock, so I treated the $50 as a rush fee.

Does this get around the ten round limit? Sorry, no.

FAQS from other thread:
    Q: Where (in the law) does it say that I can convert a gun back to normal capacity?
    A: If not prohibited by the law, it is legal. In this case, you are merely performing gunsmithing work. Just keep AW laws in mind.

Q: How do I know this thread has the correct information?
    A: I have done my best to combine my own research with outside input/corrections. While I am not a lawyer (yet [​IMG]), this process has the CGF legal team "seal of approval" and some shops have been visited by both CGF legal folks and the DOJ already without issue.

Q: Can I shoot my gun in single shot exempt form?
    A: Yes, and in theory nothing out of the ordinary should happen. Is it recommended? No.

Q: Why won't a shop ABC convert gun XYZ?
    A: There are a few possible reasons. First, the gun's design could make a conversion cost/time prohibitive. Secondly, there may not be enough demand for this particular gun. In this case, you could try and organize a group buy to demonstrate demand, or pay more. Finally, the shop may be so overloaded with work that your particular gun is just not high enough on their list yet. In this case, a group buy may or may not bump your gun up on the priority list.

Q: Does this process work for revolvers?
    A: Yes, there are somewhat different requirements, but the process works for revolvers as well.

Q: If I decide to sell this gun later, what happens?
    A: You can sell it the same way as any other off-roster gun in CA.

Q: What will it say on my DROS?
    A: Under type - single shot exempt.

Q: My favorite shop doesn't believe these conversions are legal, how can I convince them?
    A: Unfortunately, many shops don't feel comfortable with things that are completely legal. The best you can do is show them the penal code and/or direct them to the CGF legal team if they are willing.

Q: Can I use a gun transferred in this way on my CCW?
    A: Yes. The gun, once returned to its original configuration, is fine to put on your CCW, like any other off-roster pistol.

Q: Why can't/won't these shops ship their conversions?
    A: Some of them did at first. However, many customers lagged or did not return the parts. Every gun sold in this form must remain converted during the 10 day waiting period so there's no rotating of parts possible. The backlog created by people being lazy/inconsiderate/whatever with returning parts has caused them to stop. Even with the deposit system (which many people would balk at), in the event of a late return other customers are still backed up as shops have to hound the customer or make new parts.

Hope this helps!

BTW - If you live in California, send a note to your CA assembly person to reject SB249. It is intended to make Bullet Buttons illegal.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

I'am glad you started this thread very informative for people in and out of the state I too see this question a lot..

3. BLCKWLF

BLCKWLF GrassHopper

Wait, that would effectively make AR type guns illegal!!! Glad I don't live in Cali!!!!

4. NoMoss

NoMoss New Member

Hopefully as we pull all of our knowledge, we can clear this confusion caused by CA gov up.

BTW, this is not just a Glock issue. It applies to all handguns not on the list.

Also, the Gen4s in CA should also have three 10 round mags. Some gun shops may try to give you two mags "because of the extra cost"

In the Sacramento area, I would recommend Sacramento Black Rifle. They do a SSE deposit as of June 2012. I had a poor experience with a different LGS which didn't do the deposit. And tried to give me only two mags.

When working with your LGS, don't make assumptions. Ask to make sure you both are clear.

5. NoMoss

NoMoss New Member

3-gun competitions will be with spit wads, harsh words and cold glares. ;)

6. ROYALE-W-CHEESE

ROYALE-W-CHEESE New Member

Thanks for posting a clear and concise article, NoMoss. I've had to root around for this info as well. Your post summarizes everything perfectly.

7. NoMoss

NoMoss New Member

Thanks. It took a while to find all the pieces. And verify as much as I could.

8. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

+1 very informative

9. Joflo

Joflo New Member

Heard in California Glock gen3's will not be available due to now having different serial numbers because they are now made in USA. Even though they are the same gun, Calif sees them as new pistols. Since Glocks do not have external safeties, they do not qualify under current Calif law. Is there any truth to this?

10. glock19desertranger

glock19desertranger New Member

I checked the ca doj approved handgun list and it says USA made glocks are not approved for sale in California. Not sure why, other than maybe because they are made here they consider it a different manufacturer? Or manufactured in a different country than the glocks made in Austria. I know it sounds dumb but that's California logic. And yes I live in California.....

11. Joflo

Joflo New Member

Well as long as Glock import Austrian made guns Cal, we will still be able to buy them after the panic buying we are seeing now. Get them while you can!

[​IMG]

12. glock19desertranger

glock19desertranger New Member

Yeah my lgs has had NOTHING for over a month, literally 2 or 3 guns every time I go in there.

13. balustiza

balustiza New Member

I got my g22 gen 4 that way they put in a 9in barrel and a single shot magazine when the 10 day wait is over when your there go get your gun you walk outside the building than you walk in they swap the barrel to the factory barrel and 3 10 round mags and your all good

14. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

Where in ca are you ? Or do you have a shop that you can recommend that does the sse?

15. balustiza

balustiza New Member

I'm in ca in Lathrop I use

Elite arms in Manteca ca or
    Tracy rifle and pistol in Tracy ca
    I got my glock in Manteca and my xdm in Tracy

16. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporting Member

That's great to know I go to both and did not know that the guys at Tracy did that. I will need to look into more options now. I love going to Tracy and the fact that I get to go to famous Dave's for lunch.

17. Dark Knight

What range do you go to? Might need to meet one weekend and shoot.

18. balustiza

balustiza New Member

I like to go to Elk Grove gun room

19. Samiq

Samiq New Member

I'm in Fresno too. I considered doing this, but my glock is destined for my CCW carry and therefore decided against it. Perhaps I over thought it, but I didn't want to muddy the waters in either getting approved for the CCW or heaven forbid having to use it.

20. series11

series11 Hail Commifornia Lifetime Supporting Member

Very informative but I hate this stupid state...