Gen 4 a step back?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by GunnerGSP, Mar 30, 2012.

1. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

2. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

I'm getting so tired of hearing about the spring issues. Yes they had to replace the springs for early Gen4s. But then issues solved. The ONLY jam I've seen on the 4 Gen4s I shoot with were from limp wristing. To say they have taken a step backwards is stupid as hell. It seems like the author is pissy about plastic sights (that most people seem to replace from what I've seen anyway), and the trigger pull from the Gen3's. The MBS actually has a 5mm smaller difference from its smallest to the Gen3's normal grip. Measuring from behind the trigger to the trigger pin.

This whole thing sounds like "WAH they didn't fix a few things I don't like about the Gen3s, so that makes the Gen4s worse."

Just my $.02

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

My $0.02, if I may....

Comments in the article about the sights are, well, a matter of personal preference. Most shooters who are into it for sport, competition, or simply agressive personal shooters, will replace the sights anyway...this is true as true for Glocks as it is for 1911s, Berettas, and whatnot. Having a stock sight that does the job as well as being a "throwaway" part when you upgrade it, is in my mind, a bonus. I am one of those people that will often wait for something to break before replacing it with something better.

I'd have to agree in that the RSA issue was indeed an issue, since then (to my knowledge) resolved already.

Now, bear in mind that one of the biggest points of contention of the anti-Glocks is the grip, and it is true that the standard Glock grip's geometry is different from most other pistols (the 1911 comes to mind), and that the first consideration in buying a handgun should be how comfortable it feels in your hand (since this goes to your ability to shoot it accurately). Not all hands being alike, there are those to whom the Glock will never fit right in their hands....enter the Gen4.

I wish I had an excuse to buy a Gen4 G26 or G30 to replace my EDCs, since I really REALLY like the feel of the grip with the narrowest insert, and the feel of the grip panels, but that is for now simply a distant dream.

I have and love my Gen3's, and even use my G26 in IDPA, but like any gun-lover, I wouldn't mind having a Gen4 to play with! :D

My views and opinions do not necessarily reflect those of Glock Forum, its management, its owners and affiliates.

4. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

For the record, I was not expressing an opinion one way or the other. I just thought it was an interesting read.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

The .40 strength recoil springs being using in the 9mm models is only a problem when shooting the cheapest range ammo. I like the dual recoil spring, it does reduce felt recoil and helps reduce frame battering, and the RSA lasts longer. Besides that, there were some problems with the outer metal sleeve which holds the larger spring, the muzzle end of that sleeve wasn't reinforced and over time would deform to the point that the gun would not go into full battery. There was also an issue where the plastic muzzle cap and the spring could pinch the muzzle hole in the slide, making removing the RSA pretty difficult. Both of those issues have been fixed in the newest versions.

The problems with erratic ejection were/are caused mostly by out-of-spec extractors and possibly slides, which can be fixed by installing the new ejectors and a new extractor that moves freely enough.

I like the bigger magazine catch and shorter grip. The add-on backstraps do leave something to be desired, they're not the most sturdy design and there's a lip at the top of the backstrap where the add-on backstrap overlaps the grip of the gun, but I've never really heard anyone complain about it. The shorter grip by itself is perfect for my hands.

My only real complaint about the newest Glocks is that they use cheaper extractors in both Generations. The old extractors were investment cast tool steel, the new ones look like some cheaper form of casting or possibly MIM, and they're made of a much softer metal. I put 200 rounds on one of the new extractors and the claw developed a jagged edge, after another 100 rounds I noticed that the firing pin safety had worn a divot into the extractor. The firing pin safety is nickel plated, and the plating had minimal wear, so the new extractors must be some pretty soft metal if they're not even as hard as nickel plating.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  6. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Oh I know. My comments were all directed at the author.

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Yes, I agree it was an interesting read, if somewhat out of date (Re: the RSA issue).

Posters here (including myself) are expressing our opinion on the article in particular and the complaints on Gen4s in general, and are not directed to you (GunnerGSP) in particular.

I noted first off your comment "have nothing against the Gen4s"....and I agree completely.

Cheers!

8. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Meaning, in this case, the author of the article noted, and not the OP of this thread.

9. GunnerGSP

GunnerGSP Active Member

No worries. I just wasn't sure if I had adequately expressed my neutrality on the subject. lol

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Oh, and did anyone read the "comments" on the article noted?

Guy wants a safety on his Glock....maybe he should have stuck to a 1911, that way he wouldn't need more trigger discipline.

My views and opinions do not necessarily reflect those of Glock Forum, its management, its owners and affiliates.

11. cvitter

cvitter New Member

I have only ever owned the two Gen 4's I have now (19 and 34) and they have been trouble free (4000+ and 550 rounds respectively). I have compared them side by side with their Gen 3 variants and the grips on the Gen 4 are, in my opinion, a nice improvement. I was tempted to buy a Gen 3 34 but when I held them side by side I knew I wouldn't be happy with the grip (and the difference in price wasn't worth it).

BTW, that article was just sad. The author stated that Glock did away with extended mag releases on the 34/35 models. I just bought my Gen 4 G34 two weeks ago and it has the extended release on it. And to say that Glock hasn't discussed the RSA issue is also disingenuous considering they have a well publicized recall and web site with the pertinent information.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  12. Same here. Especially when people complain about their weapon that hasn't given them any issues at all but has a part identified as a potential problem in other Glocks.

Glocks are not the only weapons that have had growing pains, you just hear about it more because they have been the top dog in sales for so many years.

I didn't even read the posted article nor have plans to after reading the replies here.