Gen 3 or gen 4

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by jelder, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jelder

jelder New Member

Buying a new glock with in the next month! What's everyone's insight on the gen 3 compared to the gen 4. Also I was at a gun store yesterday and the the salesmen told me that glock will no longer be shipping there guns with night sights! I don't know if I can believe this or not!

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

I prefer the Gen 3 myself...even waited for it to show up locally once I knew the Gen 2 was done...

Haven't even seen a Gen 4 local, just some pictures.

3. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

I prefer the Gen 3 and will continue to get them until I have no choice but to get a Gen 4. Just to keep the parts box simplified.:D

4. My local shop has new with factory night sights so I don't know about that. The other decision is up to you. They are essentially the same except for the new short frame grips. Yes there were some early issues with some Gen4's but Glock has completely worked that out. Anything with a test fire date after November is fine. That being said you need to hold both and possibly shoot both if you have access to. For me personally the new grips is what sold me on my first Gen4 and I already knew of the possible issues. Purchased a second Gen4 in December. Still love all my Gen3's but the new grips kick ass.

5. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

My dealer wanted $50.00 more for the Gen 4, so I opted for the Gen 3 and got 100 rounds of ammo from Walmart with the savings..

The Gen 4 has the bugs out so don't be shy if that's what you want. I've heard some say the more aggressive grips were putting wear in cover shirts when concealed carry with the Gen 4. That's nothing that a slip-on grip won't take care of. One nice thing about the Gen 4 is the way the grips can be changed out for the small, or larger hands.

6. Glockin27gen4

Glockin27gen4 New Member

I paid 35.00 more for my gen 4 I like the new grip and the bigger mag release, also all gen 4s come with 3 mags instead of 2 with gen 3s, so that extra mag is 30.00 on average so that made it worth it to me also

7. bigbarbour71

bigbarbour71 New Member

The Gen 4 is sweet. I've had both. Make sure it has the DOT connector and improved recoil spring. I love the new finish on the Gen 4 better but they are putting the same finish on the new Gen 3's.

8. Glock22Gen3

Glock22Gen3 New Member

I never got that far, seeing an extra mag. Plus 1 for the Gen 4, I wondered why it cost more. I never asked, I just saw my first round of ammo floating around in my head LOL.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  9. MikeDeltaRomeo

MikeDeltaRomeo New Member

All Gen4s come with 3mags. I like the recoil spring on the Gen4 and the larger mag release. All my my future Glock purchases, aside from SF and RTF2 models, will be Gen4s. However, my fav gun is my G23 RTF2.

10. jelder

jelder New Member

Thanks for all the feedback. Going next Wednesday to purchase my gun. Think I'm getting the gen 4 with night sights. Got the money might as well get the best!!! Thinking a galco holster, what do you'll carry with

11. american lockpicker

american lockpicker New Member

12. bigbarbour71

bigbarbour71 New Member

I really like the Blackhawk SERPA. I carry with it every day. It just works.

13. Dirty J

Dirty J This forum sucks.

I carry daily a Gen3 36. Nightstand a Gen3 19 with a TLR-1. Love my 36 and the 19 was the first Glock I ever purchase.

With that being said.. I just picked up a Gen4 34... And I must say... It's amazing. Nothing about it I don't like.

All my Glocks will be Gen4 from this point forward.

14. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

There wasn't that much of a difference to me to warrant paying the extra money for the gen 4. So I got the Gen 3 because it was cheaper, and I still needed to pay for my CC permit and an IWB holster.

15. Dirty J

Dirty J This forum sucks.

Gen4's come with 3 mags. That's $25 of the cost difference right there.

16. jelder

jelder New Member

That's my strong point on that to! They go for around $30 around here! I think I'm going with the gen 4 for sure. Anyone carry the galco summer comfort holster or heard any on it?

17. Glockin27gen4

Glockin27gen4 New Member

Go with the gen 4 youll love the grip its the best thing glock did since the glock 18!

18. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

19. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I paid $15 for an extra mag from a member on the site here :)
    My next Glock will be a Gen 4 for sure. It is going to be a .45 ACP model whichever one I get.

20. jelder

jelder New Member

Well went and held them again today! For sure going with the gen 4