Glock Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from the range where I ran 250 rounds through my Gen 3 G19 and a funny thing happened. After a few boxes of ammo the slide would automatically release when I would replace the magazine. I was shooting both 124 grain standard pressure and 147 grain standard pressure American Eagle ammo, so decent ammo. Also the gun had been recently cleaned, so shouldn't have excess build up. A few rounds came back at my head, but most ejected normally. Honestly I'm not worried about a few fliers on eject, but the auto release of the slide when I drop in a new mag is a bit odd to me. And I wasn't being particularly gentle loading the mag, but that shouldn't have mattered.

Anyone have similar experience with theirs? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
It is normal, it has happened with every semi auto that I have shot. Some take more force than others.

Do you release the slide by using the slide stop or by racking the slide?

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally I release with the slide stop, but didn't really get a chance this go around ;-)

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
havik72 said:
Normally I release with the slide stop, but didn't really get a chance this go around ;-)
To reduce the sensitivity of this phenomena, rack the slide to release the slide and send it into battery, using the slide stop to release it wears down the slide stop and it my need replacing. Otherwise, enjoy the extra speed in your reload!!!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blackwolffcf said:
To reduce the sensitivity of this phenomena, rack the slide to release the slide and send it into battery, using the slide stop to release it wears down the slide stop and it my need replacing. Otherwise, enjoy the extra speed in your reload!!!
Ha!!! Thanks for the advice. I did kinda feel like chuck Norris with that snappy reload...I'll start working the slide as suggested.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
blackwolffcf said:
It is normal, it has happened with every semi auto that I have shot. Some take more force than others.

Do you release the slide by using the slide stop or by racking the slide?
Let me rephrase though... Happened with every "striker fired" pistol that I have shot...

·
Dude
246 Posts
It happens a lot on my G4 G19...at first I had to make sure that it was racking a round in, but it was. I don't know if I like it though. You don't have time to look at the chamber indicator in an emergency reload or clear situation. I guess it's just best to rack it back once more to be sure. (and watch an unspent round fly out the side...)

·
Hiding in plain sight....
18,120 Posts
I happens on my G34 on a regular basis in competitions, which helps me quicken my reload! :D The first time it happened, I was shocked. After that, I have been using it to my advantage!

·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know guys, thanks. I was a bit concerned I might have an issue. I was concerned as well that it might be racking without loading a new round, but it consistently puts one in the pipe for me, so it seems to be ok.
I'll have to see if I'm just slamming the mag in too hard and if it will keep the slide back if I place the slide a bit more gently.
Thanks for all the great advice!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Good to know guys, thanks. I was a bit concerned I might have an issue. I was concerned as well that it might be racking without loading a new round, but it consistently puts one in the pipe for me, so it seems to be ok.
I'll have to see if I'm just slamming the mag in too hard and if it will keep the slide back if I place the slide a bit more gently.
Thanks for all the great advice!!!
You do have an issue. It should not do that. On my new Glocks, no matter how hard I slam the mag in the slide doesn't close itself. Fact is, the slide stop slowly wears through normal use, as in last round hold open. If you use the slide stop to release the slide, it greatly accelerates the wear. If your slide closes when you slam a mag in, it is only a matter of time before it will no longer hold the slide open on the last shot. Food for thought.

·
1,612 Posts
My G30sf was doing the same thing during the IDPA I participated in last Saturday. My G30sf probably has only 400 rounds through it, so its still new. I tried to duplicate it when I got home, but couldn't.

·
Dude
246 Posts
glockpackingfuzz said:
You do have an issue. It should not do that. On my new Glocks, no matter how hard I slam the mag in the slide doesn't close itself. Fact is, the slide stop slowly wears through normal use, as in last round hold open. If you use the slide stop to release the slide, it greatly accelerates the wear. If your slide closes when you slam a mag in, it is only a matter of time before it will no longer hold the slide open on the last shot. Food for thought.
My Glock was made in April. Between this and the erratic ejection in the face, I'm beginning to think I got a lemon. This exact issue caused me my first stovepipe after 1, 200 rounds...

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
This will only occur with a fully loaded magazine. Using the slide lock as release will make it more sensitive.

·
Sheep Dog-MCLMM
430 Posts
I have actually tuned a spare slide lock to do this on purpose just for fun. Also, this "phenomena" can happen if the spring is riding on the pin the wrong way.
If you've never detail stripped the gun, don't worry about it. But if you have, its worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It isn't a problem reguardless what some say. I have one Glock that has done it since it was new and it has Thousands and Thousands of rounds through it since it was new in 1991. My G30 which is my most shot Glock will do it sometimes but not often but it has more wear on the slide stop than the G21 that has done it since new. I know all my G30's and 21's probably need the recoil springs replace except 1 G21 that I bought from my SGT and he put very few rounds through it so it is like new. It will also send the slide home when I insert a Full Magazine in it! My Personal opinion the longer slide seem to do it easier than the shorter slides but that is just what I have observed from my numerous G21's and G30's! YMMV:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts