GA Residents please read

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Birddogyz, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=7255

This is a bill that has been put forward for vote. It is amending the Ga Firearms License.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 On January 13, state Representative Roger Bruce (D-64) introduced legislation that would undermine Georgia's Right-to-Carry law. House Bill 735 would amend the current carry law by mandating a firearms safety training course within one year of application for Georgia Firearm Permit.
    HB 735 would require those applying for a Georgia weapons carry license for the first time, as well as those renewing their current license, to complete a four-hour firearms safety training course from either a weapons training instructor licensed by the Georgia Board of Private Detective and Security Agencies or a peace officer.

Here is a lik to the bill itself.http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/Display/20112012/HB/735

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

Passing a law similar to this will be the only way we will ever get a 50 state carry. Look at Tennessee vs Georgia permits, Tennessee has 38 states and we only have 23 states and the only thing that separates us is a training course.
    I am licensed to teach the Tenn course and I promise you, everything in that course is things that every responsible gun owner need to know. It is all about give and take, and if we refuse to give on any standards, the communistic states will use that as ammunition against us.

3. So true, also I'm not a huge fan of just how easy and quick it is to get in GA. Doing this may some how weed out some that don't really deserve it for whatever reason.

4. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

With our Republican state legislature and governor, this has about as much chance of becoming law as a requirement to wear pink every Friday.

5. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I have no problem with a training course, but a year wait, and taking a course every time you renew?

6. Most renewals are every couple of years, whats wrong with four hours every few years?? I have never once spent 4 hours with a different instructor where I didn't learn something new.

7. jimmyalbrecht

Because it is already expensive to get your permit renewed, and another cost on top of that won't be good.

8. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

It is complete the course within a year, not a year wait the way it reads.

9. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Hey guys, from a state that has rudely oppressive guns law, YOU MUST DEFEAT THIS, it is only the start of something much bigger if it goes through!

PS I may be moving to GA in a few years.

10. jimmyalbrecht

I love Georgia personally. I want to get my FFL too before they make it where you can't do that anymore. I'd love to take some gunsmithing classes.

11. I think you are looking at this all wrong.

12. EvilD

EvilD New Member

The government is trying to force you into something that you don't' need to solve a problem that doesn't exist. It's just a start.

13. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

I am mixed on this one. I believe everyone should take the responsibiltity in ensuring they are prepared and trained to carry. I do not know if it should be a law. Do I think you should be able to pass a test? Yes, we even have to pass a test to get our drivers permit.

14. jonm61

jonm61 New Member

I'm planning on doing both of those as well. It's step one on my way to my dream of gun store/range/shooting school. :)

I agree with you from both a personal liberty and Constitutional standpoint.

GA Carry says that of the states that do not require a class, none of them has a higher incidence of safety issues than states that do require a class. That being the case, I don't necessarily see a need.

On the other hand, I have seen and heard enough from new gun owners and people who are new to self defense shooting (as well as some that have a lot of experience in both, as well) things that are downright frightening and make me think that there should be a training class.

I think that any training is valuable to any shooter at any level. Even if you already know everything taught in the class, it's always good to have it reviewed. I occasionally take classes for that very reason.

The last class I took was a "home defense" class. I picked up a few tips that helped my shooting and I was able to provide a correct answer to a question that the instructor gave a horrifying answer to.

We were discussing a scenario where, while in a parking lot in downtown Atlanta, return to our car after an evening out, we're approached by a bad guy. Everything was fine until a student asked if it was ok to fire a "warning shot". The instructor said "yeah, you could do that". :eek:

I brought up the whole "you're responsible for every round that comes out of your gun and where it ends up", pointing out that firing a shot into the air, while surrounded by tall buildings, might land you in prison if you accidentally kill someone with your "warning shot".

As far as this bill goes, I wouldn't mind seeing a modification to it that says "if you take the class, you're CWL fees are reduced" or something to that effect, rather than making it a requirement. Give people an incentive to take the class, create a standard curriculum and set a standard fee that is deducted from the application/renewal fee.

15. No, they aren't. They are trying to require their residents with a CCW to take a firearms course every couple of years when renewing a CCW permit. I'm sorry, are you so awesome and infallible that you stand to learn NOTHING n those four hours? Is your time so incredibly important that you can't spare four hours? I bet in a month you spend that or more in the bathroom learning nothing at all.

A requirement like this is not intrusive, not overbearing, and it makes a lot of sense. They are ensuring that everyone at least gets a refresher of the laws, which is great if they change, and the fundementals of firearms. They are saying look if you carry a loaded firearm in our state, we feel every few years you can spare four hours to help us keep everyone on the same page and safe.

Laws like these also provide a solid legal foundation for spreading your GA permit into more states, and possibly some day all of them. This opens up the door to bring more states into a higher reciprocity rate.

I'm sorry but your four hours are worth the benefit it will spread to the entire firearms community.

16. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Ok, in a few years when they start telling you you need to do this that and the other thing to keep your guns come refer to this thread and acknowledge what I am saying. Furthermore, autos kill a hell of a lot more people than firearms in the hands of CCW permit holders do, and you don't need to take a a refresher drivers ed class do you. This is all about govenment intrusion, you guys have freedom, for now, dont' let the antis get their foot in the door.

So if you think it sooo valuable and worth the time, are you willing to VOLUNTEER your time as a LE to teach it?

spok

17. jimmyalbrecht

Let me know when you do, I'm in Georgia also, might have to come for a visit or a job ;)

18. >>are you willing to VOLUNTEER your time as a LE to teach it?

Absolutely, if I lived in GA. I would be more than happy to donate a few hours a month.

19. EvilD

EvilD New Member

Glad to hear. It may have come off as I'm against taking a class, but thats not it, I'm against the government telling me I have to do it, and as I stated, its just a start if they get their foot in the door.

20. I really don't think it is intended that way, and you and I both know that if they make an aggressive move in the future the community and NRA will cause an uproar.