Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was about to buy a 9mm DW TCP for home self defense, but read about break-in and failure to fire/feed issues. And SA, but I really liked how the single stack TCP felt in my small hand.

Can anyone who owns a 1911 compare the grip diameter to the G48 considering it's out of stock in my area?

I don't target shoot and this one and only pistol would mostly live in my night stand (like my benelli nova next to my bed) after I break it in and become familiar with it.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
63,415 Posts
I was about to buy a 9mm DW TCP for home self defense, but read about failure to fire issues. Not good for SD, but I really liked how the single stack TCP felt in my small hand.

Can anyone who owns a 1911 compare the grip diameter to the G48 considering it's out of stock in my area?

I don't target shoot and this one and only pistol would mostly live in my night stand (like my benelli nova next to my bed) after I break it in and become familiar with it.

Thanks!
The G48 will suit you well, especially if you upgrade to the Shield S15 (15 round mag) along with there mag release.

However, the Glock and the 1911 differ in design of the grip angle:

This video may be of some assistance:

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've yet to handle a G48. I hear they are good, but can't say.
I have handled a Ruger Security 9. I find it very 1911ish in grip and many other aspects. The good part is it is a double stack 9MM so you get the full compliment of 15rounds. Ruger also sells 17 rounders for the pistol that are also reliable. I'm not much of a 9MM fan, but I liked the Ruger enough I bought one, and use it on occasion.
I am fine with a Glock and it is my "Go To", but I still like my FN better in almost every way. The Ruger is a good choice to try out. See how it fits.
There will be enough opinions to sink a ship and give you a headache come along but there is mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My wife wants to get her CCW permit and we’ve been researching potential handguns trying to find one she likes, and shoots comfortably and accurately. The 48 is on the short list. Along with the Shield Plus and a 43x. Nothing against the S&W, but I prefer she ends up with one of the Glocks. The main duties would be HD and purse carry. The 48 is a nice shooter. I say get it if you like it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can't compare the grip to a 1911 but I use a G48 for EDC and it's also my nightstand gun.

I am using the S15 magazines and I've had no issues with them up to this point.

I have large hands but I don't like to carry a full size pistol. The G48 has just about the minimum grip size that I can shoot well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You might try to shoot a couple different guns by renting them at your local range and see which one you like the best.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
For home defense, if we are discussing handguns, I prefer one with more capacity.
I have noticed that the new Gen 5 Glocks (because they don’t have finger grooves anymore) “feel” smaller in the hands. Btw, I removed the finger grooves in my Gen 3 Glocks.
You should check the G19, G17 and G45 to see how they “feel” in your hands.
Now, to the Glock 48. If you go that route (or the G43X), I’m sure it will suit you well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still haven't bought a handgun. I like the single stack small diameter grip of the G48, but have been waiting for my local store to get the G48 MOS. I noticed a store in ankeny over a hour away had them, but sold out in less than one day.

Good thing I have the Benelli Nova..

·
Registered
723 Posts
I still haven't bought a handgun. I like the single stack small diameter grip of the G48, but have been waiting for my local store to get the G48 MOS. I noticed a store in ankeny over a hour away had them, but sold out in less than one day.

Good thing I have the Benelli Nova..
Just asking, but what makes you think you want a MOS? The sight is large, and a bit cumbersome for carry, but many do. It won't fill the need to practice, and it probably wouldn't be used in a SD situation. I know a lot who think it would, and some who have used sights, but in many to most you will be closer than you think and should learn to shoot without the benefit of a nice calm sight picture.
That is secondary to learning to shoot though. Just asking.
Happy Shopping

Reactions: NQNPIII and j102

·
Registered
957 Posts
Home defense? Get all the capacity you can IMO. Tactical light/red dot and 34+1 of JHP's. (using Amend2 happy sticks) Should be nice in a simultaneous front door/back door, or multi attacker break in.
$449 shipped EP9 | Extar USA I have one. It's as dependable as the sunrise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just asking, but what makes you think you want a MOS?
Happy Shopping
The same reasons everybody else wants it over the standard G48 I could buy today. It has the option to add optics, and also has a accessory rail.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I still haven't bought a handgun. I like the single stack small diameter grip of the G48, but have been waiting for my local store to get the G48 MOS.
Might be easier to find a Sig P365 that is optic ready.

I'm thinking you may not be very experienced with hand guns/guns in general. Every bullet that you shoot isn't going to hit the target so high capacity in my opinion should be a major concern. With a 9, 40, or 45 you may need to pump 5+ rounds into an invader to get them to stop. More than 1 bad guy including the shots you missed? You're out of ammo.

The Extar has a place for a red dot like a Sig Romeo 5 ($119 on sale) with "shake awake" and you have a rail for a light. There is better options available for home defense over a hand gun.

Your Benelli is too long to swing around in close quarters. Hallway? You're bumping the wall.

Not planning on carrying hand gun anytime soon? Put that on hold.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The same reasons everybody else wants it over the standard G48 I could buy today. It has the option to add optics, and also has a accessory rail.
Hmm, any realistic response to that would sound rude. I was called a rude [email protected][email protected] , in this forum I think, for being realistic about a topic not long ago. That doesn't make the observation less correct, just time to bow out.
You seem long on reading and short on training. The problem is, what quality of it can you get? I know a guy, decent enough, but full of himself, and a very good shooting instructor. Basics and safety are his wheelhouse, and rightly so. He can teach you to shoot purdy little groups. A great start, but he and a lot of others think that is the end of it. It may not get you what you need in a situation.
I was told one day by a nice gent at the range that I was just wasting ammo doing what I was doing, and trying to be a cowboy. Took the 1/2 silluete and held it to his chest. I asked which holes would not have been center mass. Crickets. He wasn't rude or judgemental, at least for long, but just didn't know. The expression on his face said it all.
The good news, there are hundreds to thousands of successful SD events by people with little to no training, and with what they have on hand.
Stack the odds in your favor. Get some good quality training.
Happy Obsessing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Might be easier to find a Sig P365 that is optic ready.

I'm thinking you may not be very experienced with hand guns/guns in general. Every bullet that you shoot isn't going to hit the target so high capacity in my opinion should be a major concern. With a 9, 40, or 45 you may need to pump 5+ rounds into an invader to get them to stop. More than 1 bad guy including the shots you missed? You're out of ammo.

The Extar has a place for a red dot like a Sig Romeo 5 ($119 on sale) with "shake awake" and you have a rail for a light. There is better options available for home defense over a hand gun.

Your Benelli is too long to swing around in close quarters. Hallway? You're bumping the wall.

Not planning on carrying hand gun anytime soon? Put that on hold.
Yes NQNPIII I'm not very experienced with guns in general, but I have held compacts and micro's like the P365 and I'm not interested. I'd like a full size single stack pistol like a 1911 or G48 both of which Ive held and there are pro's and cons to every gun.

The Benelli which is my only gun was enough to move me from unarmed to armed status. Huge sense of security.. I'm done researching guns and could always get the Shield Arms S15 for the G48 MOS when and if I finally buy one.

I don't obsess about guns and had practically forgotten about the three pistols on my list.. The reason they aren't available is because they are popular and in high demand.

Reactions: Danzig

·
Registered
723 Posts
Maybe it's just me but,
since the 43, 43x, 48 and whatever else has been made by Glock lately, why has the G26 became an item of the past?
It is a solid shooter IMHO.
I haven't handled any of the 43 or 48 series, but I have a G26. I hate that pistol. I've tried to sell it for years, and other than a handful of flagrant lowball offers, no one wants it. They probebly didin't either, just trying to see what they could get.
It works fine, performs fine, but it is not for me. First, the ring and pinky need to be wrapped around the grip. That is body mechanics. Some overcome it, but I find it uncomfortable, unnatural, irritating, and just plain awkward.
Second, you get all the width without any of the benefit. For enough to get that last finger, you get 5 more rounds. The short grip doesn't impress, the 1/2 inch on the barrel just makes it less balanced to carry.
It does fine with a G19 mag and a mag spacer, for me, but it just wasn't the home run other Glock offerings have been for many of us. Variety is always wondrous though.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yes NQNPIII I'm not very experienced with guns in general, but I have held compacts and micro's like the P365 and I'm not interested. I'd like a full size single stack pistol like a 1911 or G48 both of which Ive held and there are pro's and cons to every gun.

The Benelli which is my only gun was enough to move me from unarmed to armed status. Huge sense of security.. I'm done researching guns and could always get the Shield Arms S15 for the G48 MOS when and if I finally buy one.

I don't obsess about guns and had practically forgotten about the three pistols on my list.. The reason they aren't available is because they are popular and in high demand.
BTW a G48 is not a full sized gun.

I get cranked when I heard people say, "I shuck one in the chamber on my shotgun, when the bad guy hears that he will run the other way." Really? You just put yourself one round down, and hopefully didn't get sweaty palms and a jam while doing that.

In the last 22 months I was at the verge of drawing a firearm in self defense on my street twice. $h^t gets real really quick. Things get pumping. The first event the guy realized he needed to stop his advance for what ever reason it was. I'll guarantee there was no look of fear in my eyes. I took charge of the situation and told him to stand his ground. He backed off knowing I meant business. Never let him know I was armed.

The other one was a drunken jackass who was a whole bunch bigger than me. I had left my 19 at the house. All I had was a Ruger LCP2 .380. It might have pissed him off. He was trotting towards me yelling and cussing. My hand was in my pocket and it was half out of the holster my finger was in the trigger guard. He stopped and went on his drunken way. It takes a while to come down off the adrenaline rush.

You don't take advise very well. @LostinTexas gave you some sound advise. I have a 43X it isn't anything I want as a primary SD gun in the house. I've taken a night shooting course which included light manipulation, and room clearing. I will take another one from a different teacher.

Nothing wrong with being inexperienced. Lots of members here much smarter than me and more experienced than me are talking to you. Listen to what they are saying. You will get solid advice from the members here. They've already "been there done that."

Red dots fail. A set of night sights are on 24/7 no batteries needed. A Gen5 19, 45, or 17 with night sights and a light is a much better choice+ you can go to a factory 33rd mag in either one. Why you insist on limiting yourself on ammo is mighty silly. A SD shooting on the street isn't the same as in the home. Concealment isn't a concern in the house. Nobody ever said, "gee I wish I had less ammo!"

Lots of good people here. Lots of LEO's, and retired LEO's. They might know something you don't. My grandaughter loves the G26. She has small hands. It will also take a 33rd happy stick. Just no rail on it. Too many new owners want to gadget up a perfectly good firearm with gizmos when training is what they need more than anything. Repetition, muscle memory etc is aquired with practice. You might profit from renting different guns at your local range to get a feel for them.

Any Glock in my opinion needs to have one in the pipe ready to go. You ready to handle a gun without an external safety? 8 years ago was a first for me. It was weird at first. I'm 64 now. I was shooting at 14. It's a different thing carrying a Glock or something similar. Oh! I know training fixed that fear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The g48 feels full size because I can get all my fingers around it and it's more ergonomic than the g19 to me.

I don't have a local gun range that rents out pistols, and I wont buy anything I cant get my hands on.

In my opinion the G48 MOS feels the most comfortable and with a SCD, 15 round mag and red dot option, one of the most versatile and concealable pistols out there.

Reactions: Danzig
1 - 20 of 22 Posts