Glock Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My G42 is one of the earlier models. It's been back to the factory recently for refurbishment. That fixed all the problems except one; feed failures.
As expected the factory can't replace the barrel.
Has anyone fixed this problem on their own?
What did you do to fix it?
I'm considering the following:
• a new 3rd party drop in barrel
• Polishing the standard barrel ramp
For defense I use a particular bullet because of the consistent performance in the .380 caliber. Not willing to change that. It fails to feed 1/50 times.
I love this gun, despite the problems, and would really like to find a solution.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My G42 is one of the earlier models. It's been back to the factory recently for refurbishment. That fixed all the problems except one; feed failures.
As expected the factory can't replace the barrel.
Has anyone fixed this problem on their own?
What did you do to fix it?
I'm considering the following:
• a new 3rd party drop in barrel
• Polishing the standard barrel ramp
For defense I use a particular bullet because of the consistent performance in the .380 caliber. Not willing to change that. It fails to feed 1/50 times.
I love this gun, despite the problems, and would really like to find a solution.
Hornady? If so you are not the first to report problems with feeding the 42 so researching some past threads may give you a solution.
Polishing the feed ramp can't hurt. I would give that a try first. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Personally, I don't trust a Dremel so I used 600 grit Auto sandpaper hand the pencil eraser method. Worked fine and you just have to polish until you get a nice shiny surface. Rule of thumb is to not polish off any more than the width of a sheet of paper.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what I've done so far:
I purchased a Wolf barrel at a good price.
Dropped it in.
Feed failures were substantially worse. More than half failed.
Bought some Flitz and a bullet shaped polishing bit for my Dremel. (I'm better with that than I am with sandpaper). Took my time and gave it a good polish.
Problem solved!!!!!!!!

The ammo I use is Lehigh Defense - Xtreme Defense . After doing a lot of homework on the .380 round I'm convinced it has more stopping power than any .380 hollow point.
The Underwood brand has more power. But the Lehigh brand works just fine.
The magazines were the -02 model. However, since this is my primary carry I'm upgrading to the -03's.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Since you have an OEM barrel and an AFM barrel, it may be a good idea to test the muzzle velocity of your SD rounds with each and consider carrying the faster barrel. (Polish the OEM barrel feed ramp, if necessary.) ;)

Just a thought... :D

Best regards,

Bob :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don’t the after-market barrels have tighter tolerances than the factory barrels? If that’s the case, wouldn’t an after-market barrel amplify the problem?

I just polished the feed ramp on mine with a Dremel using the smallest buffing wheel and some mag wheel polish, worked fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rbbeers,
That sounds like a great idea.
I'll have to find someone with a velocity meter.

Do you have any experience with the meters? Is there an inexpensive model good enough to produce a meaningful difference?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DOS
I didn't know what to expect with the Wolf barrel other than learning something.

I will be polishing that ramp as well.
After that I'll carry the barrel with the higher velocity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts