Glock Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried running a bunch of Federal 147 Gr JHP's through my G34 CCW gun. After 5 mags, I had (2) FTF's. The gun has less than 500 rounds through it so I was wondering if it's a "break in" issue but I have 5 other Glocks that never had this issue. Any ideas?:thankyou:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Any mods or is it all stock?

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
If your having FTFs with both mags, I'd switch to a lighter bullet, possibly +P.

Some guns, even Glocks, can be finicky with hollow point SD ammo.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I avoid the max weight bullets, especially in hollow point, for the exact reason you're posting about.

The larger bullet + increased profile due to the hollow point = little room for error.

Glock or not, to me, it's simply harder getting a bigger thing into a hole, than a smaller thing.

(and let me preemptively state ... "that's what she said!")

·
Registered
992 Posts
Don't give up on the 147gr. Your 34 should function reliably with any common factory load.

It could need more "break in" as you mentioned and polishing the feed ramp is always an option.

If I were you I would grab few different brands of 147gr JHP and do some experimenting.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi, veadon!

May I offer something to think about... ?

If a magazine of cartridges will feed properly by ‘sharply’ racking the slide manually, then the issue may simply be (what I call) a ‘soft’ grip... which is somewhere between a limp wrist (which may cause FTEs and ‘stove pipes’) and a firm grip (which is necessary for proper semiautomatic pistol operation).

By my definition, a soft grip doesn’t provide sufficient resistance to the pistol’s recoil to allow the slide to ‘stop out’ at the end of the recoil phase of the cycle. Therefore, the slide face doesn’t ‘pick up’ the top cartridge from the magazine at the beginning of the charge phase of the cycle.

If the slide face fails to pick up the cartridge, it’s very likely that the forward movement of the slide will (partially) strip the cartridge from the magazine, but the cartridge won’t chamber, since it’s not properly positioned on the slide face.

As advertised, the muzzle velocity of Federal’s P9HS2 cartridge is 1000 fps (with a 4” barrel), yielding an IPSC power factor of 147. With a 5.31” barrel, I would expect the power factor to be a bit higher... about 155. The IPSC power factor of a typical 115 grain cartridge is about 132 (with a 4” barrel).

Why does this matter?

With a given pistol, the higher the power factor of the cartridge, the firmer the grip must be during the recoil phase of the cycle for the pistol to function properly. With the same pistol, a marginal ‘132 PF’ grip may yield problems when using cartridges with significantly higher power factors. (I've been there... and done that.)

In my experience, many ‘hardware’ issues are actually caused by the hands holding the pistol. :)

For what it’s worth...

Good luck! :usa:

Best regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
Have you shot it without the +2 mag extensions? That could very well be the problem.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
How about it veadon, have you tried the same ammo without the mag extensions installed?
I've seen more feeding problems with modified magazines than any other single modification.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts