G30 failure :(

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Webphisher, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

My G30 failed hard today. Stupid slide locks after every round and it started refusing load after 3 rounds. Gonna call Glock tomorrow. Not sure what they'll do with a 7 year old used Glock for service though.

2. cvitter

cvitter New Member

Does this happen with every magazine or one specifically?

Have you ever replaced the slide spring or RSA?

Do you have a local Armorer that can look it over?

3. have you had the gun apart recently or replaced the slide stop? Placing the slide stop back in incorrectly will cause the slide to lock back after every round fired.

4. Webphisher

Happened with 4 different mags. I field stripped it to clean last time but I haven't touched anything that wasn't in the slide. I haven't touched the slide stop at all. I re-field stripped it, pulled the spring and barrel out and put them back in, no change.

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Is it possible, and I am just speculating aloud here, that your thumb may be placing upwards pressure on the side release lever when firing?

That would certainly cause erratic slide lockbacks on a loaded magazine.

Just a thought...

6. Matthew780

Matthew780 Very Sensitive Guy (^;)

I'm REAL interested in the outcome of this. Please keep us up on it, Web.

7. littleposerfish

littleposerfish New Member

i sure hope you get this fixed. i am really interested in knowing whats caused this.

8. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

You can certainly retun it to GLOCK and they will fix it for free and update any parts while they have it. You may even ask that they refinish it for you while they have it, if you like. Night sights, that too. Of course the slide finish and sights will cost.

Your most common issues with the slide locking back between every round is usually caused by a slide stop. As has been mentioned, most likely the slide stop spring has broken or, you have changed your grip.

However, I don't fully understand the situation on what you mean by, it started refusing [to] load after 3 rounds.

Does this mean the magazine refuses to enter the mag well?
    Or, are you just saying the slide is refusing to return to battery at all and the slide lock is NOT interfearing?

If the slide is not returning to battery or hanging upduring the ejection cycle, you may have a bulged barrel. This could have happened with an over-charged round that expanded the gun barrel.

If you believe this is the case, STOP SHOOTING the gun immediately and inspect the barrel. How? Ensure the gun is empty, and remove the barrel from the slide. You may run/slide the barrel through you fingers, feeling for any bulged areas. You too, could just cycle the barrel through the bearing surface of the slide to see if it sticks.
    If the above is the case, there may be other indications or excessive wear marks on the barrel too.

Eitherway, I would have it inspected by a certified GLOCK Armorer before continuing to shoot it any further.

9. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

Is the slide stop locking into the slide when this happens? If so, look at the field stripped frame and check that you can see the tip of the slide stop spring below the locking block pin, that's it's proper location:
    [​IMG]

If you don't see it there, the spring may have broken or the slide stop was installed incorrectly.

With the unloaded gun, try racking the slide back and forth. If it hesitates where it normally wouldn't, it may be a bulged barrel as G-23 said above.

What ammo were you shooting?

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Moved thread to Gunsmithing sub forum...

11. Webphisher

It wasn't a grip change, as I can grip it anyway I want and it still happens. As well as I gave the gun to three different people to make sure I'm not dumb lol. But I can see how that would cause it.

After about 3 rounds I couldn't get the slide to go back into battery at all, its like it was getting stuck on the round itself. This happened with all 4 magazines, so I'm not sure if something else broke after the few rounds I got in or not.

I can see the little part of the spring.

The weird thing is the slide stop actually pops up instead of sitting down like it used to. If I press it down, this is while its field stripped, it bounces back up.

The whole thing is weird because I can't see any actual failure on it. And I totally forgot its Saturday, so I'll have to wait till Monday to call Glock to send it in.

12. cvitter

cvitter New Member

This sounds like a magazine spring or follower issue. The fact that is happens with four different magazines makes this unlikely (although not entirely impossible if they are the same age). It could also be your recoil spring assembly but that wouldn't be the first thing I would have checked. How many rounds does it have on it?

When field stripped it should definitely go back down if the spring is working and it is installed properly. If it is installed properly (I have no doubt it is) then you need to replace that spring. That right now sounds like a given based on the above.

13. Webphisher

Ya thats what were guessing, but I'm more inclined to send it in since it is used and 7 years old, that way Glock can give it a spa treatment and send it back. I still have my 17, 19 and my buddies 21 to play with while my baby gets pampered.

The mags are two different ages. I have 3 10rnd and 2 13rnd (all factory mags I don't do aftermarket mags). 1 10rnd holds my SD rounds so I didn't try that at the range. So the 2 10rnds where with the gun from Glock, the two 13rnds were bought after the fact.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the RSA needs replacement. The shop I got from didn't have any info on the gun when they bought it so for all I know its the original RSA.

Thats kind of why I'm thinking just send the whole thing in. Its either that or I make a trip the Glock Armorer in the area, its a bit of a drive but if its faster and I can save a trip in that would be awesome. I'll have to see if he's set up to do warranty work.

14. Matthew780

Goin' to school here...

15. chadsaalfrank

chadsaalfrank New Member

It is the slide release spring, I did the same thing one time and it was on a brand new 19. Your slide catch spring is on the wrong side of the pin.

16. Webphisher

Would this move to the wrong side on its own. I haven't detailed it in a while so I haven't moved the spring.

17. Webphisher

Ok so I stopped being dumb and remembered I still have the gun, went to look and ya the spring had slipped out from under the pin, its looks way warped. So popping it back under its cycling like it should be. So its just time to get that piece replaced.

18. Webphisher

In answer to the other question about ammo. Ive fired Federal Premium, Remington UMC, and S&B. Currently the S&B is loaded.

19. Matthew780

Son of a gun... Or maybe I orta say, "Spring of a gun!" LOL!

That is right on time.

20. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

The slide stop should stay down against the frame without a magazine inserted. You should be able to pull the slide stop up from the frame slightly, and let go of it, and it should snap back down to the frame.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012