G27 Issue

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Bilge, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Bilge

Bilge New Member

I just purchased my first Glock, a 27 gen4. I bought it at Cabela's about 10 hours from here. So, dropping in and asking them about my issue is not exactly convenient, LOL.

I went to the range on Monday, fired 100 rounds and had four rounds fail to fire. I figured, I'm new to Glocks, maybe it just needs a little break in time for the firing pin. After all, the manual says the firing pin may not move freely at first until the gun has had some rounds through it. Or perhaps the ammo was an issue. Wednesday, I go to the range and fire 200 rounds. Now I'm getting more comfortable with the function and I'm noticing that some rounds are hitting noticeably higher than point of aim for other rounds. I also had the same problem with failure to fire, this time nine rounds out of 200.

At that point, I knew I had a problem. I knew I wasn't limp wristing it. It had to be something else. I took a close look at the "failed" rounds and the spent brass. The failed rounds had light primer strikes near the edge of the primer. The fired rounds had primer strikes ranging from center to near the edge. I started looking to the gun and noticed that the slide seems to "catch" just before going into battery. I did some Google-ing and found a spring test on YouTube, which my gun failed. During the spring test, the slide stops and does not go into battery until you release the trigger.

Now, all of this makes sense to me. If the gun is not in full battery the primer will not be in proper alignment with the firing pin, causing an off center strike. Also, if it is not in full battery, the barrel will not have traveled upward at the rear fully, leaving a small angle between the breech and the slide. This means that not only is the firing pin hitting off center, but with the gap created by the angle means a lighter primer strike. Also, the issue I was having with some rounds striking noticeably higher than others is likely because under this condition, the barrel is still tilted muzzle up in relation to the slide and the sights.

I believe it is the recoil spring assembly. The two ends of the assembly do not appear to be square in relation to one another, possibly indicating that the rod within is bent slightly. Anyone else had this issue?

So now, the question is, what do I do next? Find a local dealer and approach them with the problem, or contact Glock directly?

I'm actually considering purchasing a Glockmiester Stainless Steel RSA. Any thoughts on that?

2. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    I'd get it checked out by Glock first and keep it stock till it is fixed.

3. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I would like to know where in the book is states the firing pin may not move freely. I don't recall ever seeing that.

The off center primer strikes is a good pick up on your part but can indicate other problems besides the Recoil Spring Assembly (RSA) going bad.
    1. Tight Extractor or faulty ammo.
    2. Dirty gun.
    3. Reversed Slide Lock or not beveled
    4. Weak RSA

Field Inspections Testing Recoil Spring/Guide Rod Assembly (the test you did) WITHOUT ammo will determine that the (RSA) assembly is faulty.

I have to say that the gun needs to go to a certified Glock Armorer for inspection and (if it is the extractor or the slide lock) he can get that or any other OME parts for replacement.

4. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

Have a Certified Glock Armorer chech it out for you and he can tell you exactly what you need to do.
    All of your observations are correct, sounds like you need parts, recoil spring mainly.

5. Bilge

Bilge New Member

Thanks for all the good input. I'm going to talk to a local Glock dealer and see if they will send it in to have it checked out.

In the booklet "Instructions For Use" that came with my Glock, under the "Preventive Maintenance of the Glock Semi-Automatic 'Safe Action' Pistol" section, there is a subsection titled "Inspecting Your Glock Pistol." Then last sentence of Item 6 "Firing Pin Channel" states, "Note: Firing pins on brand new pistols may not move freely until several hundred rounds have been fired."

This booklet has a revision date of 3/11. So, it may be different in yours.

6. Bilge

Bilge New Member

I went to my local Glock dealer and he is an authorized Glock Armorer, but he said they are not a warranty center. He said he'd be glad to look at it but he'd have to charge for it. He told me it would be best to call Glock and arrange to send it to them.

So, I called Glock and was put in touch with a technician, he asked what problem I was having and I told him about the primer strikes and the RSA test I did. Before I could draw a breath he said, "Let me have your address, I'm sending you a new spring." That was awesome! I hate dealing with people over the phone, especially when trying to describe technical problems I'm having. But this was a breeze!

I'll update this thread when I get the spring and let you know how it goes.

7. dutchs

dutchs Well-Known Member

Please do. I would be interested in the resolution to this.

8. david1962hd

david1962hd Premium Member

That's great that all is gonna be well, I kinda figured after reading your 1st post the spring was your problem.
    I think you did too.
    Good luck, hope that solves your ptoblem.

9. Danzig

Danzig I do hood rat sh%t! Supporter

Texas
    Refreshing to hear a manufacturer not giving someone the runaround. Good luck. Can't wait to hear if that takes care of the problem.

10. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

With the description you gave of the RSA a new may resolve the issue and I too hope it will as that is an easy fix.

You took the correct route and GLOCK will bend over backwards to help you, afterall, they want you to be a happy customer!:D

11. Nyckid211

Nyckid211 New Member

Just curious, which video did you follow to test your spring? I think I have a similar problem with my 27, but I haven't had any misfires. Was it human4targets2? I have happened to ride my slide forward almost to battery, but as it approaches, it seems to catch or snag on itself. I haven't had any issues at the range, but now I want to make sure I'm referencing the same video you are.

12. kodiak

kodiak Active Member

Have you ever detailed stripped the weapon? Have you replaced any parts at all?

13. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

You are right on the money! I've been doing that check for years and guess I forgot where I learned it, and THANKS for the reminder!:)

14. Bilge

Bilge New Member

That was the video.

It's all stock. Monday was it's first trip to the range since it was test fired by Glock.
    Before the first trip to the range I just ensured the barrel was free of oil and did a basic inspection. I have not yet detail stripped the entire weapon. After the problems, I took the slide apart and ran a clean dry q-tip through the firing pin channel to make sure there wasn't anything in there gumming up the works.

I wouldn't have remembered it if this problem didn't cropped up right after I read the booklet.

15. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Those test in that section is very close to what we armorers do so try to (practice) remember them. I'll have to remember to put that in my troubleshooting guide for later question down the road, (good reference material for new owners) Thanks again.

16. Bilge

Bilge New Member

Good advice, I think I might copy that section into a word document, print it, and post it next to my reloading/work bench.

17. Bilge

Bilge New Member

Sorry it took so long to update. I had to go out of state because of storm damage to a property I am selling. When I got home the new spring was waiting for me. As soon as I installed it I could tell the new spring had noticeably more pressure. I took it to the range and had zero failures. On top of that, the grouping was much tighter. I figure the reason the grouping improved is because the barrel is now fully locking into battery.

18. Nyckid211

Nyckid211 New Member

Thats awesome, glad your problem got sorted out!

19. Ram2112

Ram2112 New Member

Hello, I'm having the same issue with my glock 32 gen 4 and I replaced the spring with a tungsten guide rod from the "glock store" and it seems to be fine but I am still getting light strikes. I noticed that when you hold the trigger that the gun does not go into battery until the trigger is released. I'm going to take my gun into my local glock armorer and see what they say. In the meantime I purchased a Sig Sauer p320 and the gun is awesome it way more accurate and I have not had enough a single issue with after 350 rounds so far, this is my new carry gun. I want my glock to work because I like the 357 sig round. I'll try to let you know about what the armorer says.

20. PaPow

PaPow Well-Known Member Supporter

NunYah
    And your glocksmith said........... :confused:

+1 on the P320, absolute joy to shoot...!
    Its VERY comfortable, and way more accurate than any glock out of the box i`ve owned in my opinion...!