Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at The Place To Shoot in Portland, OR yesterday and shot my G26 side by side with the Smith & Wesson M&P SHIELD™ 9mm. It was really weird shooting a single stack gun. I didn't like it. But I shot the M&P just as well as my G26. Or just as poorly as the case may be. The thin profile didn't seem to affect my aim. I had a had time feeling where I should put my thumbs. The G26 has the slide lock recess which is a natural reference for my thumbs.

·
777TRUTH
94 Posts
The 26 and a single stack both have their place in a carry rotation.

Adjusting your grip to a smaller frame is no big deal, just some ammo.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I shot the G26 and G27 before I bought the Shield. I have had the Shield 9 for 2 years and just bought the Shield 40 to go with it. If Glock would have had a single stack 9/40 on the market I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Both of my Shields are very accurate guns and the recoil on both is very managable. Don't get me wrong I love my Glocks and I shoot the Glock in my avatar in competition every month. But S&W came out with the single stack 9/40 before Glock did and I like my choice. As a matter of fact I think the recoil is much more managable on my shields than I recall the 26 & 27 were. And choosing the Shield is not just my opinion, our local gun shop told me the other week that he sold more S&W Shields than any other small frame handgun in the last year.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I shot the G26 and G27 before I bought the Shield. I have had the Shield 9 for 2 years and just bought the Shield 40 to go with it. If Glock would have had a single stack 9/40 on the market I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Both of my Shields are very accurate guns and the recoil on both is very managable. Don't get me wrong I love my Glocks and I shoot the Glock in my avatar in competition every month. But S&W came out with the single stack 9/40 before Glock did and I like my choice. As a matter of fact I think the recoil is much more managable on my shields than I recall the 26 & 27 were. And choosing the Shield is not just my opinion, our local gun shop told me the other week that he sold more S&W Shields than any other small frame handgun in the last year.
I can definitely believe that, one of my local shops said they keep the shields in stock constantly because they go like hotcakes.

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
I can definitely believe that, one of my local shops said they keep the shields in stock constantly because they go like hotcakes.
That seems to be our LGS's problem, he can't keep them in stock. They are usually gone the same day or next day after they arrive.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm considering a shield 9 myself.. I have a XDS 45 I carry a lot.. My LGS has the Shields for $425 new which seems like a good deal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I love single stacks without a question. If I want a single stack 9mm and I am going to lose the round capacity of a double stack I'll carry my kahr cm9 or sig 938. They are a decent amount smaller for pocket carry and are very pleasant iwb. The Shield is a good gun and will serve you well. The shield can be put in a pocket but in jeans it's not as easy for me. If you plan to carry iwb then a single stack is nice to have for hotter days!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I too have a sig p938,i pocket carry it all the time. I just can't really justify me getting a shield too lol, for some reason I just want one.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
btw the shield and xds are the same size just so you have an idea... jic you didn't know! They aren't lined up perfectly as you can tell

Thanks for the pics, is your XDS 45 or 9? Which one do you seem to carry more?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
btw the shield and xds are the same size just so you have an idea... jic you didn't know! They aren't lined up perfectly as you can tell
Which do you prefer to carry? I want to say I like the shield more but I can almost get a full grip on the xds

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Which do you prefer to carry? I want to say I like the shield more but I can almost get a full grip on the xds

Do you carry with the ext mag or the flush mag?

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
One of my carry guns is a G26. My wife carries a Shield 9. I find both guns to be accurate, reliable and great CC options. I love the slimness of the Shield, but prefer the capacity of the 26.

I think my first single stack will be either the Remington R51 or the G42.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Ah I gotcha. I've handled the shield before, seems good in hand, I believe it's a few ounces lighter than the XDS as well. The 4" XDS 9mm looks interesting too..

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Well that's cool that the grip is still the same and the longer barrel will definitely help with the recoil issue I heard some are having.

Yeah, I have the 45 and I don't have an issue with recoil, I think it's fun to shoot since it's kinda a hand cannon..

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Yeah, I have the 45 and I don't have an issue with recoil, I think it's fun to shoot since it's kinda a hand cannon..

Yeah my wife is a recoil sensitive
person but me I love a big bang in a small package. I can't wait to get a 357 I may just go put one on layaway to make myself feel better :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts