G25 and G28?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by FroggMan, Jul 29, 2012.

1. FroggMan

FroggMan New Member

Could any LEOs out there or anyone for that matter. Explain to me why the .380 Glocks G25/28 are only sold/available to law enforcement? I mean I can buy a .380 from most other manufacturers....What gives?

2. dwcfastrice

dwcfastrice Active Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Import restrictions.

Part of the GCA of 1968 (the saturday night special ban), there is a points system involved to get firearms imported into the US. The .380 glocks do not meet that point system and most likely would be cost prohibitive to have it modified to meet that point system to be sold in the US.

From another site.....

To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points
    Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
    Forged steel frame 15
    Forged HTS alloy frame 20
    Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
    .22 short and .25 auto 0
    .22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
    9mm parabellum and over 10
    Locked breech mechanism 5
    Loaded chamber indicator 5
    Grip safety 3
    Magazine safety 5
    Firing pin block or lock 10
    External hammer 2
    Double action 10
    Drift adjustable target sight 5
    Click adjustable target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Target trigger 2

For example, here is how the G17 scores: Length (7.28") 5
    Weight (24.79oz) 25
    Caliber (9mm) 10
    Locked breech 5
    Firing pin block 10
    Double action 10
    Target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Total 80

Here is how the Glock 26 scores: Length (6.29") 1
    Weight (21.87oz) 22
    Caliber (9mm) 10
    Locked breech 5
    Firing pin block 10
    Double action 10
    Target sight 10
    Target grips 5
    Target trigger 2
    Total 75 - just enough to get in.

Changes and features made to Glocks to comply with the BATF rules:
    - all models are imported with a cheap click-adjustable rear sight that is replaced at the factory with the stock sight
    - target (grooved) trigger added to compacts & subcompacts
    - target grips added to all models (required for the subcompacts)
    - due to their caliber, .380 autos (G25 & G28) do not score enough points to be imported

D

3. FroggMan

FroggMan New Member

Thanks, very informative and thorough explanation, much appreciated. Kind of disappointing and borderline antiquated regulations, but it is what it is. I'm assuming, considering these regulations, even if one could find the g25 or g26 that it'd be illegal to own or even posses. Shame that Symrna, GA isn't a manufacturing facility. Seems like that'd be a way around those regulations. :cool: Thanks again, dwcfastrice!

4. FroggMan

FroggMan New Member

Of course now that I look at the specs in detail the G26 is the same size as the G28, so that dictates the G28 a mute point. I'd rather have 9mm if the firearm is the same size anyway. The G26 is only 2.29 oz heavier loaded! That alone is enough to render the G28 mute, in my humble opinion. Although there is the KEWEL factor.....lol

5. CCSir

CCSir Well-Known Member Supporter

Ohio
    I agree! The size isn't any smaller than the G26 and is a moot point in MHO. If you are going for size then there are plenty of others that are much smaller in comparison. Not that i wouldn't like the Glock reliability in one of those packages, but then again Glock doesn't ask my opinion.

6. Jimmie6671

Jimmie6671 New Member

Well you can buy a mod 42 its .380 and its smaller. But anybody can buy one. So what is the real deal then.

7. Audioph1x

Audioph1x Well-Known Member

Because the 42 doesn't have to be imported

8. Glockinator19

Glockinator19 Certified Glock Armorer

If Glock MADE the 25 and 28 in the US we could all buy them..but they don't for some reason. Probably because they wouldn't sell much. Apparently They only made the 25 and 28 for other countries where civilians can't have the same caliber as the military/law enforcement.

9. Anachronism

Anachronism New Member

WV
    Yep. I don't think there's much of a market for them in the US, and the cost of starting production on them here is probably more than it's worth. As I see it, the market would be those who want to collect all the Glocks, and those who can't handle recoil stronger than a .380 but want more rounds than a 42 offers.