Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. So I have a G23 gen3. It had always work flawless. So i have been looking into getting a convertion barrel to shoot 9mm. I found a used barrel, ammo and mags for a good price. The barrel is made EFK Fire Dragon Barrels. The mags included were two 15 rounders and one 33 rounder from KCI. It included a box of FMJ tulammo, a box of Winchester Super X JHP silver tips and a box of Ranger FMJ. All of that for $130. The barrel is in brand new condition. The 15 rounders work great. The 33rd mag had multiple FTE's. I changed the spring for a new Wolffspring and I maybe get 1 FTE now. So i'm quite happy with the barrel and at least the two 15 rd mags.

Now the issue, with all mags the empty casings fly straight up into my face neck chest area. The 33rd mag almost every single case flies straight up into my face. I got my lip burnt, neck and chest quite often with the 33rd one that I stopped using it. The 15rds ones are less prone to this issue but i do see them flying close to been straight up.

Now I'm trying to figure out if this is issue is caused by the mags since they are aftermarket or if it is the extractor. I do know by my armorer's book that the 40 cal extractor has a 5 degree cut and the 9mm is straight. Could the 40 cal extractor be causing this issue? Is the KCI mags? Should I get a glock 9mm mag? Or should I switch the 40 cal extractor for a 9mm one with the 9mm plunger? I'm also using the G23 recoil spring.

I used to have a G19 and the casings never flew straight into my face.

Anyone had experienced this? Any advise will be appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
It's not the mags. MY stock G19 mags do that, as well. (I have a Gen 23 Gen for with LWD barrel and it does the same thing). There are a lot of posts/stories out on the Internet about this issue.

swap out the exrtactor and the ejector.

You SHOULD REALLY be using the G19 mags. Just for reliability stake.

D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This setup is for range use only. I can't swap the ejector out since as soon as I'm done with the range session I put my 40 cal barrel back in. I will try the 9mm extractor. I did read about this issue with gen4 but like I said I owned a g19 gen3 in the past and I never had any case flying straight up. If it doesn't get resolved with the 9mm extractor I guess I will have to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
This setup is for range use only. I can't swap the ejector out since as soon as I'm done with the range session I put my 40 cal barrel back in. I will try the 9mm extractor. I did read about this issue with gen4 but like I said I owned a g19 gen3 in the past and I never had any case flying straight up. If it doesn't get resolved with the 9mm extractor I guess I will have to get used to it.
With all the money I save in ammo costs, , initially, I just learned to "deal" with it (and got a hat) since I was just doing the "drop in thing." So you're absolutely correct, for just range use, it's fine and you get to learn to shoot while things are flying at you. ;)

I've since bought another G23 Gen 4 frame and slide and "built" one of these (and yes, I know I could have bought a G19, but I wanted to do the build :rolleyes:).

Your Gen3 G19 has the correct extractor and ejector so it's going to spit the casing correctly. Can't really compare it to just a conversion barrel with the "incorrect" parts.

D

·
Registered
665 Posts
I know for a Gen 4, one is supposed to use a G19 RSA vice G23 RSA. Not sure if it will make a difference in the ejection pattern though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I will get the 9mm extractor and give it a try. I started using a hat and it helped protecting my face but not my neck. I might have to use a hockey mask lol. I will most likely going to sell the 33rd mag because im getting hit too many times but I want to try the extractor 1st.

I will post results once i get it. it might take a while since glock doesnt ship parts quick enough from factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
jayta98 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I will get the 9mm extractor and give it a try. I started using a hat and it helped protecting my face but not my neck. I might have to use a hockey mask lol. I will most likely going to sell the 33rd mag because im getting hit too many times but I want to try the extractor 1st.

I will post results once i get it. it might take a while since glock doesnt ship parts quick enough from factory.
I am sorry but this just sounds ridiculous. Why not just trade your 23 in on a 19? Instead you're willing to wear a mask while shooting. That just sounds plain retarded. With the money you spent on the conversion parts, you could've traded up to a new 19...

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I am sorry but this just sounds ridiculous. Why not just trade your 23 in on a 19? Instead you're willing to wear a mask while shooting. That just sounds plain retarded. With the money you spent on the conversion parts, you could've traded up to a new 19...
Ever consider that the OP want's to also shoot .40? Can't do that with a 19.

Personally, I don't think you can "Trade up" to a 19 with the value of the gun and a conversion barrel. 40% of MSRP from the LGS, plus the cost of the conversion doesn't equal the MSRP of a G19. At least not in my neck of the woods.

Stick with the caliber you want to stick with and let people (mainly the OP) shoot what they want without telling them they're actions are "Retarded".

D

·
Registered
665 Posts
One, it sounds like the hockey mask comment was a joke, thus the lol Two, Gock 19's are never known to throw brass back into one's face/neck are :rolleyes: Three, with a G23, not only can he shoot 9mm but he can simply swap in a G32 barrel, like I did, and shoot .357 Sig. The only thing that sounds retard to me is your post to be honest.

·
Banned
553 Posts
jayta98 said:
Hello everyone. So I have a G23 gen3. It had always work flawless. So i have been looking into getting a convertion barrel to shoot 9mm. I found a used barrel, ammo and mags for a good price. The barrel is made EFK Fire Dragon Barrels. The mags included were two 15 rounders and one 33 rounder from KCI. It included a box of FMJ tulammo, a box of Winchester Super X JHP silver tips and a box of Ranger FMJ. All of that for $130. The barrel is in brand new condition. The 15 rounders work great. The 33rd mag had multiple FTE's. I changed the spring for a new Wolffspring and I maybe get 1 FTE now. So i'm quite happy with the barrel and at least the two 15 rd mags.

Now the issue, with all mags the empty casings fly straight up into my face neck chest area. The 33rd mag almost every single case flies straight up into my face. I got my lip burnt, neck and chest quite often with the 33rd one that I stopped using it. The 15rds ones are less prone to this issue but i do see them flying close to been straight up.

Now I'm trying to figure out if this is issue is caused by the mags since they are aftermarket or if it is the extractor. I do know by my armorer's book that the 40 cal extractor has a 5 degree cut and the 9mm is straight. Could the 40 cal extractor be causing this issue? Is the KCI mags? Should I get a glock 9mm mag? Or should I switch the 40 cal extractor for a 9mm one with the 9mm plunger? I'm also using the G23 recoil spring.

I used to have a G19 and the casings never flew straight into my face.

Anyone had experienced this? Any advise will be appreciate it. Thanks.
I'm glad you are enjoying the barrel Juan. I'm sorry about the 33 rd mag, let me know if you fix the issue.

Rick.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1st of all the wearing the mask is a joke so get some sense of humor bud. I don't want to get rid of my 23, like Bunk22 and DWCfastrice mentioned I like the option of having 3 calibers for one pistol specially if I just want to shoot the other 2 at the range only.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of the springs of the 15rds failed so i ordered two more wolffsprings for the 15rd mags and glock OEM plates. If I don't put all 33rd in the long mag the casings don't go straight up.

I ordered the new extractor from glock as soon as i get and install it I will update. Thanks guys.

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
Thanks KD4 lol I will remember that next time i go shooting.
Couldn't help myself... All kiddin aside when i got my conversion barrel there was a blurp that stated light weight rds 115 grs or less that it was recommended to change recoil spring on 23 to a 19 weight. mine works for me without changing spring but i normally use my 357 sig barrel with i really like

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I shot my LWD 40/9 tonight. Ran about 200 rounds through it. Had 5 or 6 hit me on the top of the head and had one lodge underneath the band on my hearing protection. I really do suspect it's the exrtactor/ejector combo that needs to swapped out. (I use 19 mags).

if I ever get motivated enough swap those out I will. I'm thinking of trading mine for someone with a Gen 4 17.

D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Couldn't help myself... All kiddin aside when i got my conversion barrel there was a blurp that stated light weight rds 115 grs or less that it was recommended to change recoil spring on 23 to a 19 weight. mine works for me without changing spring but i normally use my 357 sig barrel with i really like
the recoil spring OEM is the same for all 3 calibers in the compact form. Unless you are using custom springs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts