G23 or G27, Gen 3 or Gen4?

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by abalee, Feb 17, 2012.

1. abalee

abalee New Member

Thanks for all the feedback on my previous thread.
    Now I have narrowed it down to the G23 or G27, leaning towards the G23. But now I am not sure if I should get the less expensive Gen 3 or the Gen 4. The price difference is not that much, but I don't know enough about the differences to make an educated decision. I have done the research but I don't see enough of a difference to know which is better. This will be my first Glock, so I don't know enough about them to make this decision without some feedback from some more experienced folks.

2. Glockin27gen4

Glockin27gen4 New Member

The Gen 4s come with a extra magazine, that's a $30 value so there is you justification right there, get the Gen 4 I love the grip and bigger magazine release and the backstraps are nice also you wont be disappointed, I'm going to also say think real hard about getting the 27 it is great concealed and you can get mag extensions to make the grip the same as the 23 for at the range use. The way I see it is you get the both models with the 27 by getting the grip extensions

3. chadsaalfrank

chadsaalfrank New Member

Very hard choices.... Gen 3 vs Gen 4, I have both in 23 and 27. I suggest Gen 4 due to the 3rd magazine and 4s feel slightly better in my hand. 23 vs 27.... first determine if this will be a ccw or home protection or range shooting gun. If you will carry on a regular basis then the 27 is a more logical choice. That is my everyday ccw. Range and home defense I would choose the 23. If you are just wanting this as a range gun you might look at the 19. 9mm rounds are considerably less expensive and the 19 vs 23 are exactly the same gun minus 2 less rounds in the 23. As far as being a ccw, a 23 is also easily concieled but the 27 has a shorter grip which makes it the easiest to hide. If you will need to add magazine extentions then you will be close to the same as a 23. So pick them both up, get a good feel for them in your hand and go from there. Any choice you make 3vs4 and 27vs23 will be a great choice! You can't go wrong any way you go!

4. Wade

Wade New Member

Not sure what the others are talking about. I bought a Gen 3 G23 and it came with three mags, so I would not let that be your deciding factor. I would recommend going to a shop and handling several to see for yourself how they feel in your hand. Only you can tell what feels right to you.

5. You buy it used or at a gun show, or Blue Label?

6. chadsaalfrank

chadsaalfrank New Member

Every new gen3 I have bought only had 2 mags. I'm unaware of any gen3 with the three factory mags...

7. Glockin27gen4

Glockin27gen4 New Member

Some Gen 3s do but they are few and far between

8. Glock23-AZ

Glock23-AZ New Member

I got a g23 gen 3 and love it. Didn't get a third mag though bummee

9. Glockin27gen4

Glockin27gen4 New Member

They are both GLOCKS so you really can't go wrong lol

10. Tillerman

Tillerman New Member

Yeah I purchased a Glock 19 Gen with 3 Mags, it was LE edition and with my credentials a discount came with that. If you purchased a gen 3 sub-compact it only came with 2 mags. I recently purchased a gen4 glock 26 and it came with 3 mags LE edition. Something new glock is doing for the gen 4 LE models I guess

11. JollyTrooper

JollyTrooper New Member

It seems you are limiting yourself.

Get. Them. All.

12. Glockin27gen4

Glockin27gen4 New Member

All Gen 4s come with 3 mags, both le and civilian but on the other hand most Gen 3 le comes with 3 mags also. I just don't want anyone's dealer holding out on the 3rd magazine on Gen 4s my buddy's dealer tried keeping his 3rd magazine because my buddy was uneducated on Gen 4s

13. Tillerman

Tillerman New Member

Yeah I hear that

14. lauritzencl

lauritzencl New Member

Well said! That is the best answer..... :)

15. Wade

Wade New Member

Yep, Blue Label. Forgot about that.

16. evsnova74

evsnova74 New Member

I'd stick with gen3 if it's and edc, I like that new recoil spring on the gen4s but there have been some problems with 'em. Sure glock is all too happy to send out a new one but that's not going to do a lot of good in a SD situation...

I'd probably go with the 27 too, though I have a 23 now. Drop in a 9mm conversion barrel and get a few glock brand 9mm mags for cheap(er) range time.

17. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

I thought that the newer gen4s had that all ironed out!?!?!

18. evsnova74

evsnova74 New Member

Maybe and hopefully they do. I'm certainly not badmouthing them, I'm too much of a noob to do that. It just worries me in a SD scenario, mostly just a product of my paranoia. [​IMG]

19. iamthedood

iamthedood The dude: "This aggression will not stand, man."

My friend (that I buy my pistols from) told me that out of all glock gen4s he hasn't had a single complaint, or heard anything bad about them. ( He's not a chain owner just a local shop but that's still saying something). Since I'm a LHS gen4 seems like the logical choice ... liking the ambi. mag release ( esp since it comes w/ 3 mags for only $40 more than a gen 3 ).

20. metalriot

metalriot New Member

Well here's my thing I've heard people have issues with the gen 4's(jamming recoil springs breaking) and other people who have had no issues... But the gen 2's & 3's have a long history of proven reliability. IMO the gen 3 is the way to go till the 4 has all the bugs ironed out after a while.i carry a gen 3 g23 with a leather iwb holster pretty comfortably.but that's just me