Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The G23 I ordered from Bud's Gun Shop finally came in! I love the feel of it and I can't wait to get out and shoot it soon!

Any first steps before I shoot it? Cleaning? Lubrication? If so, then what?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Congrats on the new Glock. No cleaning orlub is necessary. Fireonly factory ammo at the range. After 400 rounds, consider the G23 broken in. Have fun and let us know!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
The G23 I ordered from Bud's Gun Shop finally came in! I love the feel of it and I can't wait to get out and shoot it soon!

Any first steps before I shoot it? Cleaning? Lubrication? If so, then what?
Buy some ammo and season the barrel with some hot lead. If your gun is new, there's no reason to do anything other than inspect it for something out of the ordinary, if everything looks good, shoot it in an appropriate place in a safe manner. Let us know how it goes.

·
Shaun
594 Posts
WillieB said:
Buy some ammo and season the barrel with some hot lead. If your gun is new, there's no reason to do anything other than inspect it for something out of the ordinary, if everything looks good, shoot it in an appropriate place in a safe manner. Let us know how it goes.
And shoot it as often as possible and give it a name and some companions;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how often does it require cleaning and lube?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
If you run a box of ammo through it I might not screw with it. We usually run 3 to 400 rounds at a time, so I clean and lube them before putting them away.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you run a box of ammo through it I might not screw with it. We usually run 3 to 400 rounds at a time, so I clean and lube them before putting them away.
I'm gonna be shooting TulAmmo, so it's a bit dirty.

If I'm shooting brass cased stuff, 300-400 rounds is a good pace before cleaning and lubing?

Again, thanks for your patience with me!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts

If I'm shooting brass cased stuff, 300-400 rounds is a good pace before cleaning and lubing?

If you shoot every week and you plan to shoot the same gun in the near future, I wouldn't mess with cleaning one only having put 50 rounds through it. Leaving one dirty for a lengthy time isn't good because the residue will attack the metal on the gun. It doesn't hurt to clean one and if you've got the time, it's a good way to learn your gun regardless of how many times it's been shot. You never can have a gun that's too clean.

·
102 Posts
You never can have a gun that's too clean.
That's the truth. Its a good opportunity to do something with your gun on days you can't make it to the range.

·
290 Posts
Love my 23. Great choice and congrats.

I clean after every 200 rounds. I used to clean after every use but
I think cleaning after 50 rounds is overkill.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jameswilliam93 said:

I do a basic field strip and clean every time I get home from the range and I usually do 200 rounds each time. Every 1000 rounds I do a complete break down and deep clean. If you don't know how to break down your Glock yet, you definitely want to learn. Nice thing about glocks is it is extremely easy. And the knowledge is a great something extra to have in your tool box. If you'd like to know how to do it, I have an HD video on YouTube, let me know if you'd like the link.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! I love my 23, it's a real sweet shooter! I clean mine after every range trip but I always put 250-350 rounds through it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do a basic field strip and clean every time I get home from the range and I usually do 200 rounds each time. Every 1000 rounds I do a complete break down and deep clean. If you don't know how to break down your Glock yet, you definitely want to learn. Nice thing about glocks is it is extremely easy. And the knowledge is a great something extra to have in your tool box. If you'd like to know how to do it, I have an HD video on YouTube, let me know if you'd like the link.
Sure! Link me to it! Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
jameswilliam93 said:
Sure! Link me to it! Thanks!
Here you go man! Hope it helps, it's my first how to video but hopefully you'll learn a little something. Let me know how it goes!

[ame]http://youtu.be/T6se3VwdCzg[/ame]

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I use CLP on all of my pistols and love it, it's not necessary but I like to got all the orange storage grease out of my glocks, every time I have bought a new glock (3) I clean them before shooting. That's mostly because I can't put them down the first couple of days I have them tho

1 - 20 of 23 Posts