G23 atypical FTF using reloads

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by cbmarine, Jun 29, 2012.

1. cbmarine

cbmarine Semper Fi

Loaded up some Winchester .40 brass with 6.7 grains of Power Pistol behind a 180 grain HAP bullet and in front of a CCI #500 primer. Paid careful attention to COL and charge. On two separate strings, the slide failed to cycle forward, i.e., remaining in the full back position. In both cases, my first remedial action was to release the magazine . As the magazine popped out, the slide cycled forward. This problem did not occur on the previous load of 6.1 grains (Hornady max is 7.1 grains). Question: is the load too hot? Here's the brass. G23 Gen 3 with stock barrel.

Attached Files:

2. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I can't help but wonder what gun did Hornady (max is 7.1 grains) test run that charge in? Was it a glock?
    I admit, I'm a newbie on the reloading stage.

What characteristics are you looking for?

The Glock frame flexes with the recoil as you well know. I don't think this is the cause of your situation though.

If the slide is returning during the dropping of the mag I have to think you are having a double feed or the higher load is causing a "limpwrist like effect" on the weapon.

Not knowing if the prevoius round extracted, ejected or other bits of info, can make it hard to solve operational situations.

3. cbmarine

cbmarine Semper Fi

Thanks for the response and questions
    Hornady Handloading 8th Edition. Test gun: S&W 4006.
    Chamber empty at slide lock; next round still in mag.
    Not sure how "limp wrist effect" plays in this situation.
    Frame flex; interesting.
    Here's the target at 25' during this set.

Attached Files:

4. cbmarine

cbmarine Semper Fi

BTW, are you are hard hat diver? Squid, maybe? I know a couple of divers including one of the first women to qualify

5. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Yes I am a retired BMCS (DV) Navy salvage diver. Trained a couple gals at the 2nd Class school in Pearl Harbor. Would it be Gail G. that you know?

If the slide is locking back then I would have to say your thumb is hitting the Slide Lock Lever or, the lever has been incorrectly installed.
    Try this: Make sure the gun is empty & remove the slide
    Lift upon the slide stop lever. If it stays up it is installed improperly and will lock the slide back each time.

And you are a SeeBee?

6. cbmarine

cbmarine Semper Fi

Naw, I'm one of those fouled anchor types. The diver is Martha H., now a 2 star. Her husband runs a salvage outfit for the Navy (also a diver but is now an out-ranked 4 striper). He spent a month trolling for the French airliner off Brazil; they finally found the wreckage long after ignoring his correct recommendation as to where to look.
    Will check slide stop but I purposely didn't touch it when dropping the mag and the slide immediately slide forward. I'm backing off to 6.3 grains for the next load. I'm waiting for my 9mm conversion barrel to come back from LWD after they tweak out the high right group. Going to back off on the 9mm load too. Cases have nicks that I suspect is caused by the extractor.

Attached Files:

7. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

I was trying to see if the breechface was leaving impressions but I didn't see any.
    Looked for the soot around the primers and other signs of too much pressure and didn't see any in the photo.
    But if the extractor is leaving marks on the case head then (and I think I can see what you're refferring to) it is too heavy a load for the gun.

Never met Martha and didn't know we had one make a commision. Good on her! We only passed two gals through the school back in the late seventies @ Pearl. It is interesting though that she "... was one of the first three women officers to graduate from the Navy School of Diving and Salvage in Washington, DC." We closed that school down and moved it to Panama City, FL back in 76-77 I think. I graduated in one of the last classes there and then went to work for BMCM(MDV) Brashear on the USS Recovery.

My last good deep job was a Harrier jet. Took us two weeks of sidescan sonar before we found that. Salvage work on and in the sea is fun but grueling stuff.
    I will always remember my shipboard days of ole but I moved on and an am a happy camper anyway. My best work has always been, at jobs I enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  8. cbmarine

cbmarine Semper Fi

You preempted my "Men of Honor" question. Mike, as I recall, mentioned that he had met Carl (?), but didn't know him well. Re your breechface observation, you did or didn't see..? Sentence structure implies "didn't". Good catch on primer soot check. The primers are slightly flatter on the 9mm than the .40. I suspect that the extractor nicks are a result of a .40 sized extractor ejecting a 9mm case. Will be backing off on the loads for both calipers. Thanks.

9. cbmarine

cbmarine Semper Fi

Thanks a lot :( to Apple spell checker. Calibers not calipers.

10. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

Thanks for the catch.

NO I did not see any impressions on the face of the cartridges and I fixed my earlier statement too.

I did not notice any backed out primers or soot leaking around them either.

If you are using a .40 caliber ejector to handle the 9 mm I suppose that could be the reason for the impressions on the side of the cases. I have never witnessed that before.
    hummmmmmmmmmm............ YEP a 9 mm don't fit well in there but it will work, in a pinch I guess.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012