Glock Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
Welcome to the Glock Forum guardian1881 !!

Not knowing where it has been...I would at least field strip it

and visually check all the parts then lube as recommended.

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
Are you familiar with the Glock internals...?

I'm just talking functionality wise...Field Strip and Lube.

Detail stripping is the best way to check the firing pin.

Does it look like it's in good condition...what Gen is it !?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it a gen 3 im pretty sure it doesent say gen gen 4 beside the 21 and its not a sf. the feild stripping i got down but other than that im clueless that why i was asking so if need be i could see a gunsmith for im going to learn this gun inside and out but till then go gunsmith.

·
Banned
14,133 Posts
Unless in obvious bad shape when you field strip it, I would just lube and go to the range.

If it doesn't go bang...then see the gunsmith !!

·
Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome
1,672 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
i got a g21 from a gun @ pawn store and was wondering if i should field strip and clean it or shoot it first
I would at least have field stripped and inspected it at the store if possible. People have been known to do some really stupid things to guns and then pawn them. I don't know that I would trust a pawn store to have done any kind of careful inspection of the firearms that they take in.

At a minimum you need to field strip it and clean it to confirm basic function (i.e. perform the safety tests). I would detail strip it as well and check things like the striker channel for debris/oil/grease that doesn't belong, wear on parts like the striker, plunger, and extractors. Chances are it is fine but guns that aren't put together correctly can be dangerous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I FEILD STRIPed my glock lastnight it looks good. the barrel has good groves seems like the person before me took there time after each shoot when it was new. so the groves arnt wollerrd out. and seem to cleaned it right. the spring is good little dirty but not bad. its a factory spring though and i seen a stainless steel one @ heared it better for recoil any sougestions on that? now the frame was the worse part (dirty wise) it had a yellowish paste where the slide was so i cleaned it up and freshly lubed it up correctly. but i had to take a dental tool and some patches to clean all the sand, dirt, and old powder out of it. Now i never open yhe slide to get into the internal for i was told to clean just the back where the fireing pin is and thats it yet i like to clean it any suggestions all welcome. and one last thing one the mag is brand new but the other is not how do i clean it??

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Find yourself a Glock Armorer and have them go over the gun for you. There are several safety checks we do to ensure the gun is safe to fire and use on a daily basis.

"When in doubt," and I would be for this gun, change out the recoil spring as it is just cheap insurance. The Armorer can run over the three safeties and internal components to ensure they all function correctly also.

Then, get out there with some Jacketed ammo and ring the bell with gun, be safe and enjoy your new found friend!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have to agree with g-23 here. With dirt and sand as well as paste on the inside I would be worried about what is inside the slide's nooks and crannies. If you are not comfortable with detail stripping you should take it to a Glock armorer for a once over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts