Featured G20 / Polygonal Barrell

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by mort777, Nov 26, 2017.

1. mort777

mort777 New Member

We are going to be traveling the country. May possibly get up into Alaska but definitely northern Idaho and Montana. Looking for a good woods gun for large beastie protection. I think I have narrowed it down to the Glock 20 in 10mm because of capacity mainly but many reviews comment negatively on the hard cast bullets because of the polygonal barrel having feed issues. Im told the G5 has a rifled barrel and may solve the issue. Any opinions or personal experience?

2. Overkill338

Overkill338 The Underwood Advocate Supporter

The folks at Underwood tell me they have no issues at all firing the 200 and 220gr Hardcast bullets from a stock G20

If it bothers you, LoneWolf offers good value barrels geared more towards cast lead.i have a 4.6" for my Glock 29

SeventiesWreckers likes this.

3. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

If you are talking big bears, Brown bears or Grizz, or an angry Moose mama, the 10mm is NOT a big bore for outdoor predators. Most outdoor folks who live in the outdoors and hunt big game will most likely, overwhelmingly so, buy a used big wheel gun, that starts with the .44 mag, but the .454 Casull is a better starting point! You can always trade it for something else when you get back. Semi-auto people guns are just that, people guns. Sure you can kill one, especially so if the bear doesn't see you as in hunting, but, and there always is a but in life, if it is a defensive situation where the bear sees you and has your address, he knows who you are, where you are, and that 10mm will feel like a .22 long-rifle in your hand! The big bears can outrun a horse in short distances, and can take a lot of punishment before going down, enough time to finish you first. But, if this is an excuse to buy a 10mm for the wife, have fun!!!

Attached Files:

Woodsman70 and Silver-Bolt like this.
  4. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

The Gen 5 does not have a rifled barrel. And, they are not available in one of the 10mm models anyways. That has been a common misconception that the Gen 5 features a non-polygonal barrel. It does apparently have a more accurate barrel, but it is still a polygonal barrel. You can get a barrel from Lone Wolf Distributors or from other companies like KKM that will handle a hard cast bullet much better than a polygonal barrel. The performance issue with a polygonal barrel is not a feeding issue. The bullets will not always stabilize and accuracy can be horrible even at close range. I spoke to Kevin Underwood about this a few years ago and he saw poor accuracy out of the stock 20 barrel with his hard cast loads.

With the best 10mm WFNGC hard cast loads they will penetrate quite deep. Not as deep as the heaviest 44 loads, but if you are not going to train extensively with the 44 and heavy loads, then you are better off with something that will absorb a lot more recoil. Take it from me as I have loaded the original SSK 320gr bullets behind a heavy load of WW296.

If you decide to go heavier, here is a good option from Ruger http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSuperBlackhawkBisley/specSheets/0818.html. It will be significantly heavier than the 20 to carry and only 6 rounds. The Bisley shaped grips allows it to handle recoil better than other styles of single action grips. They are quite enjoyable but you will probably have to train on it more than the Glock to get to a similar level of performance.

Whatever you choose, carry some bear spray also.

5. Overkill338

Overkill338 The Underwood Advocate Supporter

Underwood 200gr Hardcast can get you 50+" of penetration. 16 rounds of those in a G40, I'd feel just fine around the big bears.

But if that didn't do it for me, I'd build a 460 Rowland from a G41. Then if I was still nervous, I'd get a Ruger Alaskan 454 or 480.

6. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Supporter

Chuck Hawks recommends "... a properly constructed bullet of adequate diameter (.264 caliber minimum), sectional density (around .220 minimum for the small and medium bore calibers), and energy (1000 ft. lbs. minimum at impact)."

http://www.chuckhawks.com/black_bear_cartridges.htm

7. rbbeers

rbbeers Well-Known Member Supporter

I assume you meant a 'traditional land and groove' rifled barrel.

That being said, as best as I can tell, the Gen 5 Glock Marksman Barrel incorporates 'enhanced' polygonal rifling.

Well... what's that? :confused:

As can be seen in the pictures below, on each side of the polygonal ‘flat’ (red arrow) there is a very thin ‘land’ (green arrow) that ‘bites’ into the bullet… similar to the edges of the lands of traditional ‘land and groove’ rifling.

In my opinion, this new rifling design is very aggressive and should function more like traditional land and groove rifling, which may alleviate the leading issues historically associated with traditional polygonal rifling.

Time will tell…

Best regards,

Bob :)

DSCN3363 1 (cropped).jpg

DSCN3371 1 (cropped).jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  8. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

"16 rounds of those in a G40, I'd feel just fine around the big bears."

I can tell you speak from inexperience. You would be lucky, damn lucky, to get ANY GUN UP TO SHOOT IN A BEAR ATTACK!!! THIS MEANS RIFLES, SHOTGUNS OR PISTOLS, EVEN THE 16 ROUND PUNY 10MM AUTO! In areas where bear contacts are frequent, such as the Russian River for salmon fishing' the brush is thick like Vietnam, and by the time you see motion or hear anything, as bears are quieter than an Apache in the Wild West, you rarely hear them, even if they were walking with you! If you were lucky and saw one coming, you may get off one non-aimed shot, and hope you miss, because if you hit he will really be upset you stung him like a bee, they don't like bees!!! If you think an angry Brown Bear will stand there like a target letting you see him, move your clothes and clear the gun out of your holster, then aim lining up the sights and then shooting him 16 times ... Good luck with that!

I am carrying my CZ 458 Lott, and did not feel safe in that area!

The .458 Lott had around 6000 foot pounds of muzzle energy.
    The 10 mm has around 650 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

Good luck! Better than nothing, as at least your buddy may get away as the bear gets you...

Seriously though, do not under estimate those big bears, killing prey is what they do, and they are beyond powerful and strong. They can break the neck of a bull moose, have you ever seen one of those? They are huge as well! If you got lucky and hit him in the head and it did not glance off, since the skull will bouncing and swaying as it approaches over 30 MPH, you may take him down, but the odds are slim. Even with the best gun, a rifle for say, it is still slim chances if you are charged, especially so if you are not cool, with radiator fluid running though your veins, it is not easy to shoot well under the threat of death!

Here is what it is like to shoot a .458 Lott at speed:

That only works if you can engage before being overwhelmed by the beast! Do some research and see how many folks carrying a proper gun died with it in the holster on in the hand, by a charging bear, one of the fastest close range predators outside of Africa.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Woodsman70 likes this.
  9. DAVEF

DAVEF Well-Known Member

Particularly when you are carrying the rifle slung on your back;)

10. First, I want to make cleat that I personally have zero experience with hard cast bullets in poly barrels.

So when I want info on hard cast bullets in poly barrels, I look to folks who I trust know what they are talking about:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=59

11. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

:):)
    The fishin' gets hard with it otherwise, can't leave it anywhere the Russian River is filled with mankind that time of year.
    I was there to fish and out of the bush, a little at least!:)

Most of the locals had rifles in backpacks with a rifle scabbard built in, but the yuppies had nothing, and as soon as a woman came down the trail and said that a Mama Grizz and kids were around the bend taking fish from folks fishin' guess who they asked to protect them???

Yep, you got it!!! They hate guns, but, and there always is a but in life, when the S--T goes down they seek out someone with a gun!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Woodsman70 and DAVEF like this.
  12. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Well-Known Member Supporter

13. wildbill45

wildbill45 Active Member

That is a baby!!!