Glock Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying my first Glock soon and I'm deciding between a G17 and a G19. I've read so many good things about the 19 that I was really thinking about going with it until I rented it on several range trips. The grip just feels a little too short for my hand. No such problem with the 17 which really feels nice. I thought the 19 would fulfill several roles, such as home defense/carry/range, but I'm not sure I could get used to the grip. I've never seen anyone write that they felt the same way about the G19 grip. Anyone else have the same problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Perhaps you have a fairly large hand, and it needs the 17 grip to feel fully supported? My hands are not small; I wear a size 10 ring, so my fingers are somewhat slim, and the 19 fits me fine. The 17 sticks out a bit past. You need to get whatever feels best for you.

Also, the 19 has a bit shorter sight radius. Some folks find the longer one of the 17 beneficial toward putting rounds on target. Another consideration.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If the 17 feels better get it. The only difference in CCW is the grip length which is not that big of a deal, I carry mine. Get a good holster and dress appropriately and there is not problem

·
Registered
27 Posts
Get what feels right. A full size Glock is no harder to conceal than a 1911 and tons of people carry those concealed every day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The G23 was my first EDC Glock and I never got use the to finger groove spacing. Too tight for my larger hands. I went to the G17 and found it much better but concealing was harder.

I just cut my G17 to G19 grip size and have done some work on the grooves to boot and it is the best of both worlds for me.

For a stock gun I will always buy the G17 but even it requires some dremel/stipple work to fit right.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The G23 was my first EDC Glock and I never got use the to finger groove spacing. Too tight for my larger hands. I went to the G17 and found it much better but concealing was harder.

I just cut my G17 to G19 grip size and have done some work on the grooves to boot and it is the best of both worlds for me.

For a stock gun I will always buy the G17 but even it requires some dremel/stipple work to fit right.
That's my problem also. The grip itself is a little too short for my hand, but the finger groove spacing always leaves my hand feeling cramped at the end of a range session.

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
For range banging use the mags for the G17 with a mag sleeve. I find the G19 much easier to conceal, but than again, I don't own a G17 and I've just switched to a DeSantis Scorpion holster which might have a lot to do with the concealment.

I'm surprised you find the G19 too small. I'm 6'2" and wear a size 13 ring and I find the G19 a perfect fit.

Maybe a Gen4 G19 with the interchangable grips might be your answer.

·
Just trying to stay warm
925 Posts
I have a 17 and a 19. Love the 17 at the range but 19 for carry. I know the 19 grip is a little shorter but really I don't notice the difference in feel. I bought the 19 to carry because the grip is not like a sub compact where the clip makes up the grip. 19 all the way!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Which to buy. I say the 19

I have one of each and with the 17, 19 and 26 I bought some +2 Glock mag extenstions and put them on the mags and that took care of the short grip. I carry my 26 and a 19 mag with +2 on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recently bought my first Glock also. I went with the G3 17. I have very large hands and the grip on the 19 is too short. I thought about going with a 19 and using 17 mags witha X grip but the finger grooves didnt feel right. Go with what feels best to you.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I recently bought my first Glock also. I went with the G3 17. I have very large hands and the grip on the 19 is too short. I thought about going with a 19 and using 17 mags witha X grip but the finger grooves didnt feel right. Go with what feels best to you.
This thread is almost three years old!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts