Glock Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my G19 a few weeks now and I've noticed a few things that to me seems odd but may be perfectly normal. I'm hoping some of you Glock pros can help me out here. When I remove the slide, I notice that the guide rod and spring has partially slipped out of the groove on the barrel. Is this normal? My fear, though probably unjustified is that this same thing might happen when the slide is on the gun or during firing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
100% normal ....after field strip reassemble spring in center, once you rack slide the spring will return to second groove in barrel .

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. That seems to clear that one up. I've also wondered about the "rattle" of the barrel when the slide is locked. I'm assuming now that this is normal but had mistakenly attributed it to the guide rod and spring issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When you resemble the pistol the slide return spring and barrel are parallel . When the slide moves rear, the barrel drops to line up with the next round in your mag . As the slide moves forward the load bar in the slide pushes the RIM of the round forward. The round enters the chamber of the barrel sliding up the ramp and into place, then the barrel lifts back into position.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. That seems to clear that one up. I've also wondered about the "rattle" of the barrel when the slide is locked. I'm assuming now that this is normal but had mistakenly attributed it to the guide rod and spring issue.
Sorry so late in replying but your barrel should not just rattle when it is in the battery position.

Is the gun brand new or used and new to you?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G-23 said:
Sorry so late in replying but your barrel should not just rattle when it is in the battery position.
To be more specific, I am referring to having to slide locked in the open breech position. The barrel had a little bit of looseness when I this position.

When the slide is in battery position, the barrel is locked and firm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Totally normal. When your slide is locked back there is no tension on the barrel from the slide to hold your barrel firm. Therefore it will sit loose enough to rattle a little but that is how it's designed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a new G19... experience the same things as you. nearing 1,000 rounds shot - not a single issue! Very pleased I bought a Glock.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
To be more specific, I am referring to having to slide locked in the open breech position. The barrel had a little bit of looseness when I this position.

:)Good to good then! Happy shooting!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone has been great to answer questions and I am becoming more comfortable with my firearm.

Here's another question for the group. When I first got the gun, and started to lean to remove the slide, I would forget to remove the magazine.

Can this damage it? If so, what do I need to inspect for said damage?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
dougster said:
Everyone has been great to answer questions and I am becoming more comfortable with my firearm.

Here's another question for the group. When I first got the gun, and started to lean to remove the slide, I would forget to remove the magazine.

Can this damage it? If so, what do I need to inspect for said damage?
Are you talking about field stripping your weapon?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chilly613 said:
Are you talking about field stripping your weapon?
Yes. When field stripping with the mag in, I notice that it will hang up. Then I notice the mag in and remove it before taking the slide off.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Safety First, if you do not remove the Mag, how are you positive there is not any ammo loaded in the firearm??

I believe the Recoil Spring/Guide Rod hits the tip of the inserted Magazine when Field Striping. Magazine should be removed. It does not take brutal force to slide the slide back when doing this to cause any damage.

Main thing is since your new to Glocks just make it a habit to remove the mag, and clearing the gun before proceeding.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
dougster said:
Yes. But I'm learning fast.
Awesome, that's good. I suggest this also to all my friends that are first time handgun owners... Take a basic handgun class. Very informative, they will give you the foundation to build upon your shooting skills.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dslmac2 said:
Safety First, if you do not remove the Mag, how are you positive there is not any ammo loaded in the firearm??

I believe the Recoil Spring/Guide Rod hits the tip of the inserted Magazine when Field Striping. Magazine should be removed. It does not take brutal force to slide the slide back when doing this to cause any damage.

Main thing is since your new to Glocks just make it a habit to remove the mag, and clearing the gun before proceeding.
Normally when I am field stripping it is in prep for cleaning after a shooting session. I am obsessively careful to make sure that it is unloaded.

I know to drop the mag before field stripping, and 99% of the time I do. I just wanted to make sure that I don't unintentional or due to lack of knowledge that will cause problems down the road.

Habits take time to develop and like I said...I'm learning.

Thanks for the info dslmac2

·
Registered
78 Posts

totally normal it should be a little loose when locked open.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts