G19 Grouping

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by gunboat57, May 1, 2012.

1. gunboat57

gunboat57 New Member

NW PA
    I just took my new gen3 G19 to the range for the first time. This was also the first time I ever shot a Glock.

Gun functioned flawlessly with WW box 115grs. But here's how I shot. My first shot after inserting a loaded magazine would be a couple inches directly above the POA. All the rest of the shots formed a 4" group about 6" to the left of POA. I shot 2 mags loaded with 6 shots each so I ended up with two holes right above POA and a ten shot group to the left.

I was shooting at 25 yards, two handed, wrists on sandbags.

Only thing I can think of is my finger is on the trigger different for my first shot and then I shift it somehow.

You guys with long fingers, where does the trigger contact your finger? I think I'm going to have to pull with the trigger all the way up to the finger joint.

2. yska08

yska08 New Member

Me, I use the middle of the first finger joint. ONe tip when you watch tv or do anything else; dry fire, dry fire and dry fire. Train to feel the trigger. Glock is new to you. Look at it as a first date with a girl; you don't hit the jackpot most of the time at your first date, if so plzzzz tell me how hahaha.:D

3. gunboat57

gunboat57 New Member

NW PA
    My trip to the range today actually went a LOT better than most first dates I had! :D:D:D

4. Glock897

Glock897 Member

The pad of your finger should be centered on the trigger. Basically, in between the tip of your index finger and the first knuckle.

5. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

There should be a category for these threads all together lol

6. yska08

yska08 New Member

Oh another tip; try to get these video´s:

- Magpul Dynamics - The Art of the Dynamic Handgun with Chris Costa and Travis Haley
    - Travis Haley - Adaptive Handgun

Very good video's about basic handgun techniques. Especially the first one will run you through the whole deal of grip, stance, approaching a target etc etc.

Hope it will help you.

7. Wait for it.........wait for it, it's coming!

8. jimmyalbrecht

jimmyalbrecht Glockn Rollin

I think your sights might be off ;) lol j/k. Almost everyone I know had a problem shooting a Glock for the first time, or any gun for that matter. It takes discipline and skill to learn your weapon and become proficient with it. Keep on keeping on brother.

9. It's still coming......I know this.:p;)

10. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

Is this what you're looking for?

Attached Files:

11. glocknloaded

glocknloaded Click Click Boom Supporter

Winner winner chicken dinner

12. gunboat57

gunboat57 New Member

NW PA
    Hey, I have a copy of that diagram on my computer! Actually, that's why I wondered if I needed to put more finger on the trigger since I seemed to be shooting left.

I did some dry firing tonight while watching old Dr Who episodes and that seemed to improve my trigger pull. Took out a few Daleks while I was at it, too.

13. chilly613

chilly613 New Member

It should just be the pad of your finger. When dry firing, see how the gun moves when pulling the trigger from the initial trigger pull and when you try it from the reset and just adjust what you need from there.

14. mauro3005

mauro3005 New Member

Yup dry firing helps a lot. Aim at an object. And when the trigger breaks where you see your sights is where your shot went. And continue to focus on the motion of the trigger. Your live fire will not always be as good as your dry fire. But eventually you will be able to ignore the recoil and noise. If u forget about that then you are able to shoot better. If not you will end up anticipating the shot and you might break your sight picture.

15. Blades

Blades Senior Member

One thing someone told me to do while dry firing is put a dime/penny on the front sight. When you pull the trigger the coin should stay on the sight.

16. Glock897

Glock897 Member

Pull the trigger (don't jerk it) back slowly. Let it surprise you.

17. yska08

yska08 New Member

I beg to differ. In a controlled environment maybe, but in a self defence situation I do want to know when my trigger breaks, so that means knowing your weapon and knowing what the point is the weapon goes off. :)

18. Glock897

Glock897 Member

The question was regarding his grouping on a range. Practice practice practice creates muscle memory, so if/ when it hits the fan, you don't have to think, you just know.

19. yska08

yska08 New Member

Soooo very true mate!:) But still a little reluctant about the surprise part in the trigger action, but that is just my two cent. The truth always lies out there hehe.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  20. Glock897

Glock897 Member

That is a great idea. I tried it and was successful. Thanks for the tip.