Glock Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new G19 Gen4 has always hit about 4" low @ 15 and 20 yards. Approximate measurements. That got me curious bc I'm usually a decent accurate marksman. Searching through the forums, I found that the standard height of the rear sight on this handgun is 6.5. The factory installed one on mine is 6.1, as evidenced by the long bar and shorter "dot" below on the side of the dovetail. Someone with greater knowledge than I on this forum states that a computer on the assembly line determines the sight config. OK. I have to line up the top of the rear sights to an imaginary line about 1" back from the muzzle end of the slide to get a decent POI. Should I change the rear sight to 6.5 or 6.9? I have a sturdy table and sandbags to hold the weapon in place while I sit on a good chair. Any ideas why this is happening. No other issues are present, just the low POI. I now have about 1,000 rounds driven through it and I really like this model. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd buy both rear sight heights (the 6.5 and the 6.9) as I like to save on time and shipping costs. I personally feel more comfortable having a few spare parts in my small parts inventory.

Another option is to buy Glock's adjustable sight. I realize many/most folks don't like the Glock adjustable sight as it isn't particularly robust.

I'm unaware of any computerized sight selection being used by Glock during assembly, test-firing, and final packaging. I could understand out of the many Glocks having been assembled over the years that at least one Glock had the wrong rear sight installed prior to shipment; and then there could have been a rear sight re-installed with the wrong one at the gunstore for some unknown reason.

The standard height is 6.5mm and a 6.5mm rear sight should correct for your 4" difference at 60 feet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd buy both rear sight heights (the 6.5 and the 6.9) as I like to save on time and shipping costs. I personally feel more comfortable having a few spare parts in my small parts inventory.

Another option is to buy Glock's adjustable sight. I realize many/most folks don't like the Glock adjustable sight as it isn't particularly robust.

I'm unaware of any computerized sight selection being used by Glock during assembly, test-firing, and final packaging. I could understand out of the many Glocks having been assembled over the years that at least one Glock had the wrong rear sight installed prior to shipment; and then there could have been a rear sight re-installed with the wrong one at the gunstore for some unknown reason.

The standard height is 6.5mm and a 6.5mm rear sight should correct for your 4" difference at 60 feet.
Thanks! I'll get both and try the 6.5 first. I searched the forum for rear sights and got several pages of posts including some that said Glock uses three heights of rear sights and two heights of front sights. That's where I found the info on the assembly line process for matching the sights using a computerized process. I don't know anything first-hand about their technique used in this process but it sounded good. I'll be headed to our gunshop and let them install the sight. Great people there. All are former LEOs that found an open market here and the store is almost always busy. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried shooting from a sandbag? Take as much of the shooter input out of the equation as possible.
Affirmative. I used a sturdy table with sandbags and even sat in a chair. Made no difference. When I bought the weapon, it was in an unopened box, the store had about ten in stock. I've since pushed a little bit less than 1,000 rounds through it. No issues at all except for the low POI. I'll admit to beginning left low until I found a good grip and got used to the trigger. Still, a great handgun!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update and a resolution. Briefly, I purchased a new 19-4 in an unopened box several weeks ago. Brought it home and began test firing. The POI was way low. I verified this by using a sturdy table and sand bags for support at various distances. Research found that the standard rear sight is supposed to be 6.5. Mine had a 6.1 factory installed plastic sight. I ordered a new steel 6.5 and install tool which came in this morning. Swapped the rears out and it's now spot on. I put 100 rounds through it and wore out several target's bullseyes, with a few strays. Life is good again. Thanks for all the help and advice given!

·
Premium Member
13,640 Posts
Update and a resolution. Briefly, I purchased a new 19-4 in an unopened box several weeks ago. Brought it home and began test firing. The POI was way low. I verified this by using a sturdy table and sand bags for support at various distances. Research found that the standard rear sight is supposed to be 6.5. Mine had a 6.1 factory installed plastic sight. I ordered a new steel 6.5 and install tool which came in this morning. Swapped the rears out and it's now spot on. I put 100 rounds through it and wore out several target's bullseyes, with a few strays. Life is good again. Thanks for all the help and advice given!
I have honestly never heard of that happening. I’m glad you got it resolved though!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have honestly never heard of that happening. I’m glad you got it resolved though!!
Thanks. it surprised me, too. Easy fix, tho. In the research process, I also learned that Glock uses 2 different stock heights for their front sight. I didn't measure my front one, but I knew the rear was too low, and it had the long bar and shorter bar (dot) below it on the dovetail. Stuff happens lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts