Glock Firearms banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to fire both the 9mm and the S&W 40.

As I understand it, the G17 and the G22 have the same size slide and frame. If I get a conversion barrel and the mags to fire both cartridges, is there any difference between me purchasing a G17 and getting a G22 aftermarket barrel, or getting a G22 and getting a G17 aftermarket barrel?

The reason I ask is that the G17 is cheaper than the G22 at the LGS.

Thanks,

MyTime

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
a .40cal barrel will not fit inside the Glock 17 slide.

a 9mm conversion barrel will fit inside the Glock 22 slide.

An OEM 9mm barrel will also fit inside the 22 slide, but it will be loose.

A conversion barrel fits properly and is designed so you don't have to change the ejector.

·
Registered
98 Posts
In my area a new Glock 22 and 17 are usually the same price. Used 40's tend to be cheaper than their 9mm counterparts.
I bought a gently used glock 22. After a conversion barrel and mags, I'm in it for a little less than a new glock 17 would cost me.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Conversion barrels work great for the range, but I still wouldn't trust it as a carry gun. So if you want to carry a .40 and have .40 and 9mm available for the range, the G22 is the way to go. If you want to carry 9mm, buy the G17.

·
Premium Member
8,787 Posts
I want to fire both the 9mm and the S&W 40.

As I understand it, the G17 and the G22 have the same size slide and frame. If I get a conversion barrel and the mags to fire both cartridges, is there any difference between me purchasing a G17 and getting a G22 aftermarket barrel, or getting a G22 and getting a G17 aftermarket barrel?

The reason I ask is that the G17 is cheaper than the G22 at the LGS.

Thanks,

MyTime
There's a couple of threads on this but they're from 3 or so years ago (specific to the 19/23)

you cannot go "larger" (9mm to .40). the 17's cutout will be the wrong size and the 22 barrel will not fit.

For a conversion to work you would need a G22. You can always go DOWN in caliber. A G22 with a G22 CONVERSION barrel, not a stock barrel, will work. The conversion barrel has the correct offset and cutout that woud allow the cartridges to eject correctly and for the barrel to fit correctly in the cutout of the slide.

HTH
D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all. I have my answer. I'll need to get the G22 so I can get the conversion barrel for the 9mm, not the other way around.

Have a great day and thank you to all that responded!

MyTime

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks to all. I have my answer. I'll need to get the G22 so I can get the conversion barrel for the 9mm, not the other way around.

Have a great day and thank you to all that responded!

MyTime
When you get the 9mm conversion barrel, also pick up some G17 mags to properly handle the slightly smaller rounds. I did this with my Glock 23 when I got the Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel. I put orange floor plates on the G19 mags to more easily differentiate them from the regular .40 mags.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts