Glock Forum banner

G17 vs. G19

9K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  Vegas-Misfit 
#1 ·
im looking into buying a new glock... my edc now is the glock 30sf with meprolight sights. just curious the major differences other than barrel length if there are any between the 2? im looking for a slimmer frame but dont want to go any shorter on the grip length than the 30sf. so any advice on how either or both of them carry in edc situations is greatly appreciated thanks in advance
-Vegas

#2 · (Edited)
17's the full size so grip length and slide length is longer than the 19 (compact) which is longer than the 30SF (sub-compact?). The Glock subcompact is going to have less grip area than the compact models.

I believe the 17 and the 19 are the same width, as well. They are both 2.5mm thinner (slide width) vs the 30SF.

HTH
D

#3 ·
my gun shop is currently out of the 19 so i cant get an idea how much longer it is than the 30sf... my main concern is the grip more than anything honestly... i dont want to be getting jabbed by the grip constantly on edc but i dont want it too short that my pinky hangs off the magazine either.

#4 ·
the 19 will have an extra finger notch (you currently have 2 in the 30SF?) The 17 will have the extra finger notch and a bit more hanging off below that.

The 17 has a total height of 5.43 in
the 19 has a total height of 5.04in
The 30SF has a total height of 4.45 in

You'll get jabbed with the 17. not so much with the 19.

#5 ·
thank you very much for the quick reply dw im going to drive an hour after work to go to an indoor range that rents firearms so i can hold it and make sure i like it... didnt wanna make the drive though if the 19 frame was shorter than the 30 thanks again

#6 ·
Vegas-Misfit said:
my gun shop is currently out of the 19 so i cant get an idea how much longer it is than the 30sf... my main concern is the grip more than anything honestly... i dont want to be getting jabbed by the grip constantly on edc but i dont want it too short that my pinky hangs off the magazine either.
The grips on the 19 and 30 are vey close if not the same size. But I know for a fact the grips are waaaayyyyy thinner on the 19.

#8 ·
the 19 will have an extra finger notch (you currently have 2 in the 30SF?) The 17 will have the extra finger notch and a bit more hanging off below that.

The 17 has a total height of 5.43 in
the 19 has a total height of 5.04in
The 30SF has a total height of 4.45 in

You'll get jabbed with the 17. not so much with the 19.
X2. Good post!

#9 ·
If you're only going to have one 9x19mm then the G19 would be the way to go. If you plan on getting into a G26 for EDC/CCW then the G17 would be a better way to go since you'd have the most difference between the G26 and G17. The G19 kind of splits the difference so you get a larger gun that still works well for CCW/EDC.

#10 ·
I have both the 19 and the 17. I bought the Gen 3 G17 first because I didn't like the way the grip on the Gen 3 19 felt. I thought that it cramped my fingers, especially after shooting 100 rounds or so, even though I could fit all four fingers on it. However, I recently bought a Gen 4 G19 and am very pleased with the way it feels in hand. I don't feel it cramps my hand like the earlier generation although I'm not sure why this is. I use it without either of the two backstraps it comes with and it feels great. As mentioned by dwcfastrice, the G17 gives a little more length in the grip, but I can get all of my fingers on the G19, but just barely. I've been really pleased with the Gen4 G19 and now I can see why so many like this model.

#11 ·
it will be my only 9mm... however the wife has 2 she has a wahlter and a sig so i load for 9mm anyway just wanted something not as wide and long jabbing me all day that is the main reason im wanting to switch my edc from a 30 to either the 17 or 19 im thinking im leaning more towards the 19 because im already used to the feel of a compact thank you guys for all the quick replies

#12 ·
..... a Gen 4 G19 and am very pleased with the way it feels in hand. I don't feel it cramps my hand like the earlier generation although I'm not sure why this is. I use it without either of the two backstraps it comes with and it feels great. As mentioned by dwcfastrice, the G17 gives a little more length in the grip, but I can get all of my fingers on the G19, but just barely. I've been really pleased with the Gen4 G19 and now I can see why so many like this model.
probably the shape of the backstrap. The GEn 3's larger strap "hump" forces some people's hands into an unnatural shape.

D

#14 ·
You might even give the G26 a look if you'd like something that'd be even a bit smaller then the G30 for EDC/CCW. With a +2 Extension you can get all three fingers on the grip(at least I could) and you'd have 12+1 rounds of 9x19mm. Just don't let your wife shoot it or you may lose it to her,LOL. Walther and Sig are nice guns but if it would be at all possible I'd try to get your wife to sell those and go Glock, that way every handgun you'd own would have the same manual of arms and work the same. Helps to keep things simple for those high stress moments that we hope will never come up.

#16 ·
I say go with the G19 for EDC as well, unless you wanna bump down to the G26. The G17 is great for open carry, when concealing doesn't matter, and it's super fun at the range. But for EDC I prefer a G26 size for summer/warm weather and the G19 for winter/jacket weather. You can't go wrong with either one, but if you plan on carrying I would go with the G19 if I had to pick between the two. Not trying to change your mind, but you should check into the G26 with the pierce extensions as a previous post recommended. I have medium sized hands, and the regular grip of the G26 was tiny, but with the extensions it was great and allowed a lot more control of the pistol while firing. Good luck! Let us know what you decided on!

#18 · (Edited)
I went through the same thing as you when trying to decide between the 19 and 17. I chose the 19 and am very glad I did.

I went back and forth because the 17 was the same price. I had a hard time justifying a full size vs sub-compact being the same price...I got over it though. The 19 is also 1/2" longer in the slide length as well as grip length. I didn't measure it but I have a good eye. The widths are the same.

Since buying the 19 I have also picked up a G30. The 30 and the 19 are both exactly the same length in both slide and grip. I didn't measure that either but laying one in top of the other, it is obvious. The 30 is considerably fatter in width than the 19. It's also heavier.

I have since began carrying the 30 most of the time instead of the 19 because I just like the idea of having the .45 by my side. Occasionally I carry the 19 and can tell a big difference in the weight and width. The 19 is much more comfortable if you carry IWB.

Edit: I should add that the grip of the 19 and 30 are the same length with a mag inserted that has a pierce grip extender on it.

#19 ·
Best of Both World?

You might even give the G26 a look if you'd like something that'd be even a bit smaller then the G30 for EDC/CCW. With a +2 Extension you can get all three fingers on the grip(at least I could) and you'd have 12+1 rounds of 9x19mm. Just don't let your wife shoot it or you may lose it to her,LOL. Walther and Sig are nice guns but if it would be at all possible I'd try to get your wife to sell those and go Glock, that way every handgun you'd own would have the same manual of arms and work the same. Helps to keep things simple for those high stress moments that we hope will never come up.
I shared some of the same concerns you have about 17 vs. 19. I came up with a compromise...I have a 34 which is the practical / tactical version of the 17, the barrel is just a little bit longer. Although I can comfortably conceal the 34, after a long day, I have been poked enough. I have both a 19 and a 26, so I will often times carry the 26 with a 19 magazine and extension...

Just a thought!

#20 ·
it would be hard to convince her to sell either of her firearms... 1 because the first gun i bought her is her walther and the 1st gun she bought herself was the sig they have a little sentimentle value to her and she is an excellent shot with both although she is slowly trying to take my 30sf from me lol

#21 ·
I went through the same thing as you when trying to decide between the 19 and 17. I chose the 19 and am very glad I did.

I went back and forth because the 17 was the same price. I had a hard time justifying a full size vs sub-compact being the same price...I got over it though. The 19 is also 1/2" longer in the slide length as well as grip length. I didn't measure it but I have a good eye. The widths are the same.

Since buying the 19 I have also picked up a G30. The 30 and the 19 are both exactly the same length in both slide and grip. I didn't measure that either but laying one in top of the other, it is obvious. The 30 is considerably fatter in width than the 19. It's also heavier.

I have since began carrying the 30 most of the time instead of the 19 because I just like the idea of having the .45 by my side. Occasionally I carry the 19 and can tell a big difference in the weight and width. The 19 is much more comfortable if you carry IWB.

Edit: I should add that the grip of the 19 and 30 are the same length with a mag inserted that has a pierce grip extender on it.
ya i love the idea of the .45 on my hip but i just want to carry something a little less "bulky" and not so heavy on the EXTREMELY hot days in the nv desert

#22 ·
my sausage fingers barely fit the 30 lol... i know for a fact i dont want to go with anything smaller than that... thank you for the suggestion though i appreciate the outside of the box thinking

#26 ·
The reality of the situation is that a fully loaded G19 isn't going to be any lighter then a fully loaded G30 and while the G30 is a 1/10" thicker it is actually shorter in both grip and slide length then a G19 so it's really the same ol' same ol' between the G19 and the G30 IMHO.
If you really want something smaller and lighter in 9x19mm then the G26 would be THE way to go. Recoil is very mild, you'll have 10+1 or with an extension if legal you can get 12+1 and you'll truly have a gun that'll be smaller and lighter then the G30sf you have now. Also(just my OCD kickin' in) both guns will be Glock Sub-Compacts so you'll be on the same page there as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.