G17 or G34?

Discussion in 'What Glock Should I Get' started by DrumsnGuns, Jun 9, 2012.

1. DrumsnGuns

DrumsnGuns New Member

I already own a Gen 4 G23 that I'm going to use for EDC, so I'm looking to get a 9mm that I can really customize for fun.

I've narrowed it down to the G17 or G34.

I'm planning on doing the following mods:

3.5 lb connector
    Lone wolf (or otherwise) threaded barrel
    Jäger products Compensator
    Beavertail grip
    Tungsten guide rod

Is the 34 worth the extra money for the extended barrel?

2. G17XJ_BS

G17XJ_BS New Member

The 34 comes w/ a 4.5 lbs trigger and extended slide lock release, mag release as well.

3. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

G34! I have both and the G34 is so much more fun to shoot. So fun when guys bring their girls in, shoot at 4 yards and are all over the place, and I bring back the target from 10 yards with a tight grouping lol. Nothing wrong with the G17 at all, but the G34 comes with fun toys, the only thing I think G17XJ_BS missed was the adjustable sights.

Attached Files:

4. Birddogyz

Birddogyz Regular Guy

Digoxin on the 34. I have both and the 34 is my go to for range and GSSF match's.

5. the_mule

the_mule New Member

Not all 34s come with a windage & elevation adjustable rear sight. My Blue label 34 came with fixed sights.

6. DrumsnGuns

DrumsnGuns New Member

How much more is the 34 price-wise than the 17? I've heard it's a few hundred.

7. the_mule

the_mule New Member

No way! I got mine here in GA for $568 OTD after discount. You might expect to pay $600 plus tax & fees. They are more, but not a few hundred more.

8. DrumsnGuns

DrumsnGuns New Member

Thanks for the info! That's actually not too much more than the 17.

9. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

My blue label did too and no extended mag release and the 5.5lb trigger. But I was more speaking to just the normal red label most people would pick up.

10. DrumsnGuns

DrumsnGuns New Member

Is it overkill to put a compensator on the 34?

11. the_mule

the_mule New Member

My opinion, & that's all it is, is yes it's overkill. Especially the ones that thread on to the end of the barrel. Since there is already a weight reduction hole in the top of the slide, why not just magna port the barrel instead of adding the monstrous muzzle brake/break? Threaded comps may look cool to some, but not me. The added weight at the front of the gun might be just what the doctor ordered for some. I'm sticking with overkill.

12. pkaltx

pkaltx New Member

I have both a 17 and 34. In my opinion you should go with the 34. It is a much better gun. I don't think you need to get a compensator on it. I shot mine yesterday and at 15 yards I was able to cut out the center red ring completely on my target. The recoil is pretty light already, but each person is different. Remember if you are going to shoot IDPA, you cannot have a compensator.

As for YOUR gun. Every person needs to make the pistol their own. Another option is a Glock 34C. They came with a ported barrel already, so you might find one used. However, make it your own, and be proud of it.

13. Try a Lone Wolf Distributors Ported Barrel for your 34

Alternatively, if you go the route of the 34, you may want to pick up a LWD ported barrel....best of both worlds, barrel wise.

14. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

I love my 34, but I would never want to carry it. Since you already have a 23 for EDC, then I would go with the 34 and shoot your heart out! It is worth a few extra bucks, but I bet if you search around you can find one used for about the same price as a 17.

15. 45sAndHighFives

45sAndHighFives New Member

I want a Glock 34 myself why not get one over the 17 is my question

16. the_mule

the_mule New Member

My question is I want an apple myself why not get one over an orange

17. pkaltx

pkaltx New Member

The 17 is a great pistol and I carry it on occasion. However when I am out for fun, trying to improve accuracy or shooting IDPA I always take the 34. If you are looking for a gun that can also double as a carry weapon, then the 17 hands down. If you are looking for a range gun, then the 34 hands down.

18. 45sAndHighFives

45sAndHighFives New Member

Because apples are better like the Glock 34

19. the_mule

the_mule New Member

But 34s are oranges and 17s apples besides I like apples this is how you write so nobody can understand you no punctuation marks anywhere