G17 or G22&conversion barrel?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by ming, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ming

ming Member Supporter

I'm buying my first Glock in the near future. After firing both a 17 and a 19 (which was my first "choice") on several range trips and reading the advice offered on this forum, I've decided the 17 is a much better fit for my hand so I'll be going with a standard size model rather than a compact. Just when I decided on the 17 I found that one can convert the G22 into a 9mm with an after market conversion barrel and appropriate mags. The idea of having a gun that can serve this dual purpose appeals to me. The handgun would be used for both home defense and range use. I shoot both 9mm and .45 equally well I'd say, but I have less experience in .40. So now I'm completely confused once again. Do I go with my choice of the G17 or do I go the G22&conversion barrel route? Is there any down side to the second option, e.g., is the converted gun less accurate or reliable than the 17? After all, the reason I've decided to buy a Glock after all these years is that I've been convinced on the quality of the gun and I wouldn't want to compromise this in any way. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. jfirecops

jfirecops New Member

For personal defense there is very little difference from the 9mm to the 40, shot placement is key. A conversions barrel will run around $100, that is around 500 rounds of 9mm. If I was making the choice, I would get the 17.

3. M22

M22 Member

WMass
    I have a 22 with the Lonewolf 9mm conversion barrel. I like it. It's a match grade barrel and can supposedly eat any type of ammo. I've been firing 115gr FMJ and 125gr HP without any issues. Accuracy is great. Other than the barrel you need g17 mags. everything else functions as normal. And the key is: none of it is a permanent mod. Conversion takes about 20 seconds. .40 s&w around me is $18.99 on sale vs. 9mm at $10-13. For home defense I prefer a heavier bullet but for range I'd go with the smaller.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

So Cal
    I had a few .40s that I was no longer using. G22s and G23s. I recently bought two of the Lone Wolf G22 conversion barrels and love them. They are 100% reliable and very accurate. Now my .40s are getting used again.

I will be ordering more of the conversion barrels for my G23s.

5. VCMike

VCMike New Member

CA
    I have a 23 with a Storm Lake Barrel 9 mm and it is great. For some reason I seem to shoot the gun better with the 9mm barrel than the stock 40 barrel.