G17 Gen 4 recoil spring popped out during re-assembly.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by Lodestone1968, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Lodestone1968

Lodestone1968 New Member

During re-assembly of my G17 Gen 4 the recoil spring rod popped out the front hole when I put the slide assembly back on the receiver. I repeated steps for a normal field strip and corrected the problem. What happened and how can it be avoided. It was probably operator error. However, as a new owner and also being very particular I know the recoil spring was fully seated before re-assembly was attempted. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. nd4spd3001

nd4spd3001 New Member

Texas
    Did you get the new Recoil Spring Assembly from Glock? I have a G17 Gen4 as well. I saw on their website that there was a voluntary recall for that part. Call them up Monday and tell them you have the G17 Gen4 and would like the new RSA and they will send you one in about a week.

3. Lodestone1968

Lodestone1968 New Member

Thanks need4speed. This is a brand new purchase. Glock is shipping the newer Gen 4 with the updated RSA. I thought the same thing with all the drama about the dreaded Gen 4 recoil spring. Perhaps someone else has seen the same thing. I am glad the rod was plastic or it surely would have locked up tight. I wish I had the forethought, but I was a little upset with my brand new gun being possibly damaged by my own stupidity. After I cleared the jammed RSA I fully assembled it. I then did the basic field strip again with no issues. The jam did not occur again. So stupidity maybe. However, I can't seem to figure out how it happened. The RSA was seated and there really isn't anything difficult with the disassembly and reassembly during field stripping.

4. Hence the exact reason I stay away from the Gen 4s.... at least until they get their stuff straightened out....

5. nd4spd3001

nd4spd3001 New Member

Texas
    I got the new ejector and the new RSA and couldn't be happier with my Gen4 G17. Shoots great with those new parts no problem.

6. Graves

Graves New Member

I have always wondered if the Gen 4 RSA would run into any problems. I have 2 Gen 3 Glock 22's with the standard single spring assembly and They work flawlessly. Does the dual spring set up really make any noticeable difference in the recoil?

7. nd4spd3001

nd4spd3001 New Member

Texas
    My first gun ever was my Glock 17, just bought it back in September, so I don't have anything to compare it too.

8. SnarkKnuckle

SnarkKnuckle New Member

Same here. Over summer I bought my first glock, a gen4 model 17. Haven't had any problems with it to date.

9. glock17c

glock17c New Member

I heard the spring was not as big a problem as the extractor in the gen4?

10. Lodestone1968

Lodestone1968 New Member

My Glock is so new it still has the "new car smell". Only 50 rounds of Blazer 115 grain FMJ and 17 rounds of Winchester white box. I left a 100 rd box in my nightstand, but it was too far from the range to go all the way back to get them. No malfunctions during range time. It was about 15 degrees Fahrenheit in the shade. I am going to assume my problem with the RSA was "OE" being a new owner and very limited experience with Glocks. I am very happy with my purchase and had a decent experience with Fleet Farm during purchase.

Attached Files:

11. SnarkKnuckle

SnarkKnuckle New Member

It occasionally likes to throw a shell back to the middle of my forehead.

12. BORIS

BORIS New Member

Do you have it pushed all the way down(the RSA) when putting it back together? If you have it on the notch as when you take it apart when putting it back together you might get that. Push the RSA all the way up against the barrel and try again. It will fall into the next notch after being put back together for proper function....

13. Lodestone1968

Lodestone1968 New Member

Thanks for the tip. I am fairly certain I had it pushed down. However, I may have been mistaken.

14. BORIS

BORIS New Member

I been shooting Glocks forever and sometimes I don't get it all the way down still. I can feel it though and just slide her off a little and push it down....

15. RockoutwithmyGlockout

RockoutwithmyGlockout New Member

image-1624188588.jpg

This the difference between the recalled RSA and the replacement. Theres an added washer on the end... Replacement is on the right...

16. Lodestone1968

Lodestone1968 New Member

My recoil spring assembly. I am thinking it may be as Boris says. I must not have had the RSA fully seated. The jam looked ugly but I cleared it quickly.

Attached Files:

17. Lodestone1968

Lodestone1968 New Member

Ok it happened again. This time I took a picture. I got the jam cleared up again. This is odd.

Attached Files: