Glock Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't see a lot of threads here about the 37,38,39. Is there reason for this? Are they not popular or not a good design?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't like those models for the simple fact that the cartridge isn't as readily available as say the .9mm. I think this may fall true for others, but I may be wrong.

·
If it goes boom or bang, I want to play with it!
1,000 Posts
I'm actually pretty interested in the 38. They're just hard to come by, and ammo availability is a pain.
...and yet he's still interested:confused::confused::p:p??

·
Banned
1,214 Posts
The GAP pistols are awesome. I'm always talking up the GAP Glocks on here but no-one ever listens to my advice.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Love my 38 wouldn't trade to compactability (don't think that's a word lol) for the world. Shoots like a dream and plus 8 +1 capacity of 45 ammo can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
I was aware of the height difference, my question is why gap over acp, or vise versa.

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,592 Posts
Glock developed the round principally to equal .45ACP performance in a 9/.40 sized frame. As stated above for smaller/ normal sized hands. The 20/21 Glocks are rather large. Some US police organizations adopted them for those reasons. Drawbacks are finding ammo on the fly and if the round becomes obsolescent. Juries out on the latter.

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
While ammo does seem a bit harder to find then the good ol' 45acp that's only the second reason I'm not jumping up and down over the GAP. The first reason is mag capacity. The full size is 10+1 in a G17 size gun, I have 10+1 in my G30 which is basically a G19 size gun. If you drop down to the G38(G19 size gun) then you're at 8+1 and the G39 Sub Compact is only what, 6+1, you can get 6+1 of 45acp in the single stack G36 and have a gun that, IMHO, is just as easy to carry without the proprietary ammo.
I mean hey, different strokes for different folks but I'd rather stick with my 45acp or drop down to a 9x19mm if I need more rounds in my handgun. Really, in the Real World I think those two cartridges have it all pretty much covered for self defense.

·
Load Bearing Wall
4,095 Posts
The G.A.P. is a blind spot with me. Do the G.A.P. Magazines measurements differ from .45 ACP Magazines?

·
Glockin’ since 1993
41,592 Posts
Holy cow! TNFrank I have 2 G21's and never paid attention to magazine capacity on GAP models. Another reason to not get one.

·
Banned
1,810 Posts
Holy cow! TNFrank I have 2 G21's and never paid attention to magazine capacity on GAP models. Another reason to not get one.
Yep, G21 is only 10% larger but you get 13+1. With a GAP you're giving up 3 rounds and as tests have shown any major caliber pistol cartridge is about as effective as any other so if you're going to go with a G17 size gun then why not just get the G17 and have 17+1 rounds of 9x19mm+P on tap.
I guess I just have large hands or something but I didn't think my G20 was a "big" gun at all, fit my hand pretty well, ditto for the G29 and my current G30. Can't feel much difference between my G30 and my buddies G19 to tell ya' the truth.

·
I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!
998 Posts
as tests have shown any major caliber pistol cartridge is about as effective as any other so if you're going to go with a G17 size gun then why not just get the G17 and have 17+1 rounds of 9x19mm+P on tap.
Finally, somebody understands!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's a fun caliber. To me its not a replacement for the 45acp, that could never happen. But the 45gap is great to shoot. Online you can find rounds for cheap.
If you go to a gun show in Florida you can probably find Georgia Arms selling 45gap ammo for cheap. That's where I get mine.
I have yet to meet someone that didn't like my G38 a lot when they shot it for the first time.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The G.A.P. is a blind spot with me. Do the G.A.P. Magazines measurements differ from .45 ACP Magazines?
GAP mags are the same size as the 9/40 mags. The feed lips are wider, of course, but the GAP is smaller and for many of us, it's easier to handle than the ACP in Glocks. Even with the SF frame, they're too big for my hands.

If Glock would drop the polymer wrapping on the magazines, and use straight steel mag bodies like everyone else, they could put the ACP in a smaller grip. Glock is the only .45 ACP that I have a problem with, and it's because the grip has to be larger to accomodate the size of the magazine. I have a Taurus .45ACP with 12 rd magazines and it fits my hand as well as, and maybe better than, my G37 & 39 do.

The GAP is great to shoot. It's easy to handle and both of my guns are as/more accurate than any of my other guns. I let a friend shoot them a couple of weeks ago and he was amazed at how easy it is to handle. He carries a G27 normally.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts