G 20 Modifications?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by AllUNeed10mm, Mar 27, 2012.

1. AllUNeed10mm

AllUNeed10mm New Member

I want to modify my G20 a bit.......nothing too fancy.....just a bit to stand out....some style......I also want better performance...accuracy. Is an aftermarket barrel by KKM the way to go? What Lee can I do to get as much bang for my buck? I like the silver KKM barrel look and will be putting a sweet slide plate end on.....with a nice punisher skull......how about the slide return spring. I'm a noob and would love to hear what ya got

2. The gun is already more accurate than you, I or anyone on this forum will ever be.

3. G-23

G-23 Premium Member

If you want the best bang for your buck, stay away from the dressy stuff.
    A good match grade barrel and slide lock can improve your shot placement but you have to learn to shoot what you have first.

A match grade gun runs a lot of tighter tolorances and therefore can malfunction faster due to several factors but mostly cleanliness and ammo selection.

Many folks that have shot for years usually start out on a 1911 style trigger system. Switching to the Glock systems screws up their style.

If you are starting fresh with the GLOCK, you won't have those issues to overcome, but you still have to learn the proper techinques for grip and trigger pull. Then there are sight alignment and steadyness training.

For instance, there is a trigger reset we all have to learn to locate and control if we want better make up shots. Practice, practice.

I earnestly believe that the best investment for any new gun own to make is to buy a thousand rounds and then go shoot that puppy as often as possible, slowly: one round at a time. If it is a new gun this will help you wear the trigger componets in and will help the shooter get familiar with all aspects of the firearm, inside and out.

:(Some folks I know have spent thousands of dollars on one gun to carry. But yet, they won't spend a couple hundred on ammo to ensure it is going to be the weapon that will best take through the fight.

4. I waited 5 years before modding my G22C. Before modding I put a good 7-8k rounds through it. I now have a KKM G35 stainless steel match grade barrel, extended slide lock, extended slide release, extended mag release, stainless steel guide rod w/factory weight spring, and extended mags. My gun already had the 2.5LE trigger and night sights. I also had the frame Duracoated sniper green and a back plate with a Punisher logo on it put on.

5. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

The best thing you could do on any 10mm is add some weight to the front end. On my 29, I got a heavy tungsten guide rod, and follow up shots are extremely easy. Next, I'm getting a fulcrum trigger, skeletonized firing pin, and a skeletonized connector.

6. AllUNeed10mm

AllUNeed10mm New Member

G29sf- I think you're right. One thing I noticed when I shot it was that the front end just felt too light.
    And about mods in general. I used to be an assistant golf pro. And one thing I learned quickly about golf equipment is to have clubs professionally fitted. Swing weight.....lie angle.....overall weight of the clubs........I shot low to mid seventies with my clubs which were fit to me. I could use my dads clubs and okay nowhere near as well. As far as "bling "....that's not what I not to do.....except for the punisher logo. I've read about the barrels and understand that the tolerances on the stock barrel are loose...and for a good reason. The gun was meant for battlefields.....dirt and grime won't keep it down. And the tighter tolerances of a KKM barrel will help with shot accuracy.....just have to make sure the rounds.going through it are quality and the gun is kept clean. I did really well at the Engel my first time out....might just be a natural. Hit a two and a half inch circle from 50 yards 31 out of 34 rounds!

7. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

I hear you man. Well keep us updated on what you do

8. AllUNeed10mm

AllUNeed10mm New Member

Will do.......feels like waiting on Christmas every week for Saturday to get here so I can go to the range. Want each session to be better than the one before.