Full metal jacketed ammo OK?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by lovemyglock, Mar 23, 2012.

1. lovemyglock

lovemyglock New Member

Hello new glock shooter just wondering if fml ammo is alright in glocks I'm sure it is(cause glocks at the be all and end all) but some one at the range was telling me otherwise.

2. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Welcome to the Glock Forum lovemyglock!

That person at the range is poorly informed. Jacketed or coated ammo is the preferred ammunition for Glocks.

What that person probably meant to say was that cast, uncoated lead is not recommended. Glocks with still fire with lead, but it can cause fouling in the barrel. That is why most competition shooters that reload with lead bullets tend to purchase an aftermarket barrel (i.e. lonewolf) to shoot their lead reloads.

3. I have over a few hundred 230. gr FMJ threw my G21 with no problems so far. FMJ is all I shoot at the range.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum lovemyglock !!

FMJ...JHP...TMJ...just about anything ( except lead due to fouling ).

5. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hello, Lovemyglock, and Welcome to the Forum!

If you post a *Hi there* in Introductions, other Members will have a chance to say Hi right back.

About your question, like others had said, Glocks prefer jacketted ammunition (what Shooter said, plus BEB and Plated bullets). Using unjacketted (bare lead) bullets will void the warranty on your Glock, and lead to cladding of the bore, which is a serious safety issue.

Cheers!

6. trigger

trigger New Member

FMJ at the range, JHP any where else...

7. blackdog

blackdog Well-Known Member Supporter

I just completed an 18 hr tactical training. Put 1200 FMJ rounds through my Glock 23 in a two day period. We even set up malfunctions by putting spent casings in the mag. No problems what so ever! Ya gotta love it!

8. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Ya like most people here FMJ is all I use at the range. Otherwise its JHP for SD.

9. 66Goat389

66Goat389 New Member

More than ok it's cheaper....

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Welcome to the Glock Forum blackdog !!

11. The Barons Den in Eugene oregon only allow FMJ ammo to be shot on their range

12. lovemyglock

lovemyglock New Member

Thanks everybody!! The reason I asked I'd I picked a bunch of 124 fmj for dirt cheap and this guy at the range started spouting at me!! Anyway thanks again and safe shooting;)

13. Webphisher

Webphisher Duct Tape, Alabama Chrome

Tell him to worry about his own damn gun lol. I would shoot myself if I had to use JHP for range. 25 rounds of 9mm for $20, SCREW THAT LOL.

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Gentlemen, for the sake of the other posters and the audience to this thread, just a gentle nudge to keep the language clean.

Thanks so much!

15. ltd51

ltd51 New Member

Texas
    So, do I understand correctly? You CAN use plated bullets in the Glocks? I recently started reloading 9mm. I was wanting to use plated bullets but could find nowhere stating that was ok. I know not to use cast. Please Advise.

16. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Plated, teflon coated, full metal jacket, jacketed hallow point, etc are all good! Cast lead is the only one I would shy away from!

Unless I stand correct, plated and jacketed are the same thing (someone correct me if I am wrong).