Front Sight Only?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by vindicated, Mar 31, 2012.

1. vindicated

vindicated ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Hey guiz!

First question. Can't know everything, right?

Anywho, I am interested in ONLY changing the front sight. I don't have the time, or energy, to deal with installing and zeroing the rear sight. I don't want to change my Glock too far from factory and I am not going to pay $100 for the tool, or send my Glock to some gunsmith to "hope" he does it right.

My question is, if I bought a FRONT night sight only, which one would be the exact same specs (h x w) as the factory front? Or should I just order a steel Glock front sight and call it a day?

Regards,

Vin.

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 New Member

Factory front sight height is 0.165 inches. I have no way to measure, but the factory plastic front sight seems slightly wider than the factory steel front sight. I know Ameriglo sells front sights that are 0.165 height, I have no idea what the heights of other manufacturers' front sights are.

When I installed my own factory steel sights, for the front sight I used a LWD(Lone Wolf) Armorers Tool 4/1, it has a hex nut wrench that you can use for the front sight screw. The wrench is made of brass and it had a little bit of brass flashing, some have reported having to cut the flashing out with a razor blade but all I had to do was press the wrench over the screw for the first time and it knocked the flashing off. I degreased the front sight and screw with rubbing alcohol, then let both air dry. Once dry, I put the front sight in the slide, then put the screw in the wrench with the wrench pointing straight up, and I put a tiny drop of blue loctite onto the threads of the screw. I had the slide with sight in it with the slide right side up and a finger on top of the front sight, and in the other hand the wrench with screw in it pointing up and I looked through the muzzle hole in the slide to guide the screw into the hole in the front sight. I tightened the screw just enough that I could still wiggle the front sight, then I wiggled the front sight until it looked properly aligned and held it in place while tightening the screw. I checked alignment one more time, then tightened the screw with only the amount of force with which I could turn the wrench with my thumb and forefinger. I ensured the alignment was good one more time, then let the loctite set for 48 hours before getting oil anywhere near the sight or shooting the gun. You're only supposed to need 24 hours but I was overly cautious. To check the alignment I would look from the back of the slide and start with the slide cover plate obscuring the front sight, then bring the rear of the slide down to reveal the front sight. It can be difficult to align it just right because sometimes the sight will turn as you tighten the screw.

If your current front sight is the pinned version, all you have to do is pull the front sight off with a pair of pliers, with care not to slip and scratch the slide.
    Pinned front sight: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock sights/Frontsight-inside.jpg

If it's staked, I've heard that the best way to remove it is with a pair of parallel pliers with a twisting motion.
    Staked front sight: http://vengefulacts.com/Trijicon_inside.jpg

Neither of those types are reusable once removed. The newest Glock plastic sights use a screw, and obviously those are reusable but the screw is only compatible with front sights made by Glock.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

3. vindicated

vindicated ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks for the info. The third gen has a screw, and I already bought the tool to remove it. If the steel sights are a little smaller in width, I don't see that being a problem, just lets more light through for target acquisition. I think either way it will still be better than what I have now. And actually, my front sight leans slightly to the right, which is dumb.

4. no tool needed if you don't plan to keep the current front sight. Put your hand under the slide to catch the screw. Grab the sight with some pliers, twist and pull. This will yank the sight right out, drop the screw (completely in tact) into your hand, and won't damage anything but the plastic sight you are throwing out anyway.

5. vindicated

vindicated ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

True, but installing the new steel sight will then leave circle marks when I go to reinstall. It's all good, I already ordered the tool from Amazon, and I just ordered a steel front sight from Glockmeister.

6. Redneckcmb

Redneckcmb Chris Supporter

Find a gun smith u trust and get u a set of tru glow with the tritium night sights green on yellow and u won't regret it. The tool is too high for a one time sight replacement and if a gun smith can't do that he probably would have been ran out of town long ago !!,lol

7. vindicated

vindicated ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks, and it's unfortunate, but there isn't a single gunsmith I would trust my firearms with around here. Especially with sights, because then I would have to go straight the range and make sure they were centered correctly. And that, comes with the "you're going to the range again? But you just went last night!"

Women will never understand.