Frog Lube CLP Rec.

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by locapitano, Mar 12, 2012.

1. I just started using a new CLP called Frog lube. This stuff was designed by a Former Navy Seal and non petroleum based and 100% biodegradeable!

First off it smells almost like muscle rub but less obnoxious and more minty! It doesn't feel nasty on your hands and is non toxic.

You are supposed to heat up the metal before applying, I used a blow drier then applied and let it sit for a while and then rubbed it off. What happens is that the metal absorbs the product and creates a thin coat so that the carbon and biproducts of the ammo does not stick to the metal.

All you have to do is wipe it off...

Funny thing is that after I put this stuff on and rubbed it off the barrel, it was clearly dry but you can feel that the barrel was really smooth and slick!

Its also safe on all surfaces of your gun, not just the metal so you dont have to worry about staining or damaging the polymer.

I am in no way shape or form associated with them just giving a quick write up of a new product that I am enjoying!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Sponsor Lifetime Supporting Member

Good post and disclaimer...thanks for sharing your review !

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Be very curious to see how it works out long-term.

Keep us updated, Locapitano, and thanks.

4. My pleasure!

I'm planning on treating it one more time before going to the range on the last weekend of the month.

I'll take some pictures and let you guys know how it went!

5. I've had my eye on it since it first came out. One thing I notice from reading on their site are recomended operational temps. I know winter is almost over but I shoot in temps much lower than it's rated for. They claim tighter groups, more muzzle speed, less build up in general and for full auto guys...... faster cycle times and a couple other claims. I would like to try it myself after watching an interview from this years SHOT with the exSEAL inventor.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRlcXsQJlY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Hmm....wonder if my Tec9 will appreciate some of this stuff....

7. brutusvk

brutusvk New Member

My buddy bought some of this stuff at the gun show last weekend. He has used it on several of his pistols and rifles and it works really well. I might pick up some next weekend at the Crossroads gun show in Glendale.

8. If you guys decide to try it, you can get the 4oz tub of paste for about 9$.

I bought the package with the paste and the liquid but ended up not even using the liquid much because as soon as you put the paste on the heated metals it liquifies. After it cools down you can easly rub it off with a micro fiber cloth.

I put it on both a clean and dirty firearm. Just like the video showed, on the dirty Glock, as I was rubbing it on with my fingers the carbon was fouling was coming off easily!

9. BORIS

BORIS New Member

I use it now. I do it backwards though. I put it on and take a hair drier to it. Then take a tooth brush and scrub away. I tested it on what i believed to be clean guns, then hit them with degreaser before cleaning with frog lube. You will not believe how dirty that clean gun is after you clean with frog lube.

The stuff is slick as snot and lubes waaaay better than any wet or dry lube. Even when you think you have wiped it all off it still works super slick.

It is good stuff. If anyone were to ask me i would tell them they need to try it out..

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

11. Happysniper if I may suggest, the prices at Botach Tactical were a little better. Specially for the kit with the 4oz paste and 4oz liquid

12. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

@Locapitano:

Is it necessary to use the degreaser? I clean all my guns with an ultrasonic cleaner, and it removes everything, including factory lube.

Any thoughts?

13. BORIS

BORIS New Member

As long as there are no petroleum products on it you will be fine.

14. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

What would be the outcome if there were?

Just curious, and I appreciate the input.

15. It blows my mind how much price difference there is between vendors. SHOP AROUND!

16. The frog lube will remove the petroleum cleaner from the gun if you have it on there.

I didnt use degreaser but did wipe the gun down with rubbing alcohol instead.

17. Im thinking your ultrasonic would be out of the picture. The way it comes across as a "treatment" sounds like something you wouldn't want to remove with the ultra sonic.

18. I have to agree! After you start treating the guns with this stuff I don't think you'd want to use the ultrasonic cleaner anymore!

19. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

I use ultrasonics anyway, with the understanding that when I finish cleaning them, the gun parts are cleaner than from the manufacturing process: absolutely no lubricant on them whatsoever. Which is why I pay attention to proper lube before reassembly. My better u/s cleaner has a lube bath, but ever since I used up the lube concentrate (about 2 years ago) I never bought a refill.

The way it sounds, I'd be frogging my guns as often as I lube them, which means after every time I use them. Wonder how long a small tub would last....?

20. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

One of the main reasons I switched to Gun Butter is I found it performs better than anything else I have tried (not that I have tried everything, mind you) for lubricating AR-15 bolt carriers and boltpieces, as well as my Tec9 (my only full auto) because it seems picky about lube on the bolt and bolt guides. I've had it jam after one mag (50 rnds) when I was still using Rem oil.

Mike, you mentioned some concerns about operation in lower temps....any other info? It regularly goes below freezing in the winter here, and I have gone shooting outdoors at below freezing.