Glock Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used MagPul mags in my AR-15's for years. They make great $10 AR mags that function perfectly but are larger and heavier overall than the aluminum mil-spec mags I prefer. I've recently been wondering how good or bad their new G17 and G19 mags are.

So...I recently threw a MagPul G19 mag onto a Midway order since I was ordering reloading supplies and the light weight of the mag did not increase the shipping cost. At $15.15 the Magpul mag is $5 cheaper than a $20 Glock OEM mag.

Well, they are different for sure. The obvious visual differences have been discussed in other threads. I will summarize:

- Polymer mag housing with no metal liner
- No round count windows on the mag spine; just a single hole in the side to indicate that the mag is fully loaded
- Follower is bright orange in color
- Floorplate is thicker with a larger footprint than on a stock mag

I was not surprised to see that the empty mag dropped freely, loading effort was the same as on an OEM mag, and function was 100% at the range.

In fact, the only issue I encountered was subjective, that being the oversize floorplate overhanging the front and rear of the grip to the extent that I could feel it impinging on my pinky finger and the lower part of my palm swell.

The MagPul floorplate imparted no pain; it was more a comfort/distraction issue for me personally. Strictly opinion, but my guess is this condition would not exist on a G17 with the longer grip.

Bottom line for me is that it would be another great $10 magazine to complement MagPul's $10 AR-15 mags but rather than spend $15 on another of their G19 mags I think I'll just buy more $20 Glock OEM mags because they feel better in the hand to me and the $5 price differential is just not enough to crank my tractor.

And.... of course, your mileage may vary. Anybody tried one of MagPul's G17 mags?

-Bob

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the G17 and 19 mags and so far I have been very impressed. I do miss the windows but I can deal with that. I have a guy that I get them from here in town. The only thing that he sells is magazines for just about anything you could come up with and he gets me a great price on them so it's worth buying the magpuls over the factory mags.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Have a magpul G17 mag for my 19. Got it strictly for range use and works just great. I also love how easy it is to take off the floor plate and clean out the magazine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have 3 of the 17 mags and they work great so far not one issue and they are so much easier than the Glock mags to take the base plate off and get to the springs if needed. I have not needed to in any way but like to take things apart and look at them. All you need a a 9mm round push a release hole and slide the plate off very easy

·
Registered
179 Posts
I started using their G17 mags in Action Pistol matches since they are constantly being dropped in the dirt, loose dirt in particular, at a couple different ranges. They are easier to clean, cheaper, and have functioned 100% thus far. You can find the P Mags cheaper than $15.50 and Glock mags for $20 are hard to find right now.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I started using their G17 mags in Action Pistol matches since they are constantly being dropped in the dirt, loose dirt in particular, at a couple different ranges. They are easier to clean, cheaper, and have functioned 100% thus far. You can find the P Mags cheaper than $15.50 and Glock mags for $20 are hard to find right now.
Magpul,my range magazine of choice as they just work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's good to hear that the Glock mags are reliable. I use Magpul for AR and AK, but have always stayed with factory mags for my Glocks.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I have the 12, 15, 17, 21, & 27 round Magpul magazines and all have run flawlessly. I keep the 21 rounder in my bedside G17.

I have heard they don’t always like steel case ammo. I’ll give that a go when steel announce is cheap and plentiful again, as I only have brass 9MM.

The ETS mags also have been flawless for me in 9MM, 10MM, and .45 ACP.

I don’t see much reason to buy any others at this point.

And yes, Glock OEM mags are reasonably priced and the best. I have plenty of them too.

Reactions: Danzig and SJ 40

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have used factory and Magpul on my G17, never any issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts