For the COs out there

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement & Military' started by Sarabian, May 25, 2012.

1. Sarabian

Sarabian Slightly Opinionated

Attaboy! For every Corrections Officer out there, a hearty handshake and thanks.

Seriously, how you can deal with the type of people you do on a daily basis and still remain sane is beyond me. Patrol officers can at least deal with decent people to get away from the crackheads and rapists, but you have to deal with the absolute bottom of the barrel all day every day - and you have to be nice to them!

If I got plopped in the jail I think I'd quit.

2. zipper046

zipper046 Member Supporter

+1, as a current LE i see d-bags alot but not as much as the CO's. thanks go to them for their work. Not to mention the good Intel they provide us!

3. Sarabian

Only one reply? I am disappointed.

4. officerX

officerX Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm just now seeing this thread. As a CO myself, thank you! I worked 3rd shift in the housing units for 3 years and the last 5 years on 1st shift at an office outside the jail in our Home Incarceration Program. I apply and monitor ankle bracelets. Those 3 years on 3rd shift were rough! Not just because of the hours but also dealing with those f*cktards!

5. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Thank you for the Props but the way I look at it is it is just another Cop Job just all our citizens are Badguys! We know we are dealing with a Lying scumbag. Street Cops have to be careful because the idiot they are arresting might be a Lawyer or some congressman's kid.:D But like I said it is just another part of the Job! I loved it while I did it but there are times I am glad I retired!

6. Glock897

Glock897 Member

I agree. I'm a retired Police Officer and would/could never be a CO. Being trapped with those animals for a shift does not sound appealing.

7. Argyle64

Argyle64 New Member

I appreciate the props. I went from patrol as a deputy to a CO here with the Feds. This is much easier, better pay, and less stressful than being on patrol. Of course, I can't say the same thing for the CO's with the states and counties. Those guys have it rough.

8. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

I worked in the State of Confusion.... I mean California ;) and I worked from Max Custody to minimum Custody. I think Stress is over rated! Most stress I had in the Joint came from Management and that wasn't really stressful! Now they probably said me working for them was stressful! And I know the Inmates would tell you it was stressful! I had a Young Officer who worked for me for 2 years before he decided to follow his calling and join the Ministry. 3 yrs later he friend-ed me on Face Book and he thanked me for being a good Supervisor. He said I was the only Supervisor who made working there Fun! I always said just because it is Prison doesn't mean it can't be fun! I have had friends of mine who came unglued due to Internal Affairs Investigations one had never had one until he had 20+ yrs in and when he had his first and that was enough for him he just went in and put his retirement papers in as soon as he was cleared! I have had as many as 9 ongoing at one time and I just laughed at them and went to my Capt and told her why dont you guys go after me for the things I actually do wrong. These BS investigations aren't going to get you anywhere! She was so mad she threw her key ring at me:eek: because it was the only thing with in reach!:D. Yeah Life in the Joint was Fun! Man I miss it! But this month I got a COLA increase on my retirement check so I guess I will just stay retired!

9. Kmurray96

Kmurray96 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the compliment, but...

Been a CO for 24 years with 272 days to go. Did 21 of those in two stints at Rahway (now East Jersey), the Dome. Was on the rock and roll teams, totaling almost 18 years, in one form or another in two different prisons, the other one being Leesburg (now Bayside) affectionately called "The Plantation" by inmates.

Came out of an office job and bidded back into a housing unit (reception ghetto, er, wing) after they had a riot (which the Commissioner, at the time, told the press was merely a fracas) and an old buddy of mine got whacked up a bit. I vowed that would never happen again while we were in there. Did my chemo while I was on that bid. Inmate get frisky, I used to ask them, "Ever get into a fight with a deadman?" None ever crossed the line after hearing that.

Then I just couldn't take jack**s rookies anymore. Came out of the jail and drove the laundry truck for a year...still too much BS. Went to the third herd for Mobil Patrol for two years. Now I'm finishing out the string as the third herd house daddy at the minimum camp. Except for a total 22 minutes, I haven't been behind the wall in the Main since July 2010.

Seen it all. Suicides, murders, shankings in the big yard. Was never more alive when fights broke out in the mess hall. The riot bell would go off and they'd slam those big steel bar doors shut with us in there. Those doors would make a loud boom and the floors would vibrate from slam of the doors. You'd be absolutely wired tight. This adrenaline junkie loved that sh*t so much, I used to volunteer to work the point two meals a day. Saw a murder in there once, so gruesome and sadistic, Hollywood couldn't come up with one like that. Two cops went out on temp/dis pshyc leave over that. And they came in on the response team after it was over.

Yeah, I went home looking like I'd been in a food fight a couple of times. On me, mashed potatoes looked good.:D

Yeah, I was a rock and roller to the bone. Was even an extra in the movie, "The Hurricane". But I wouldn't trade any of that crap to be a street cop for one day.

Why? Because at least when I walk into that dump I know what I'm dealing with. There ain't no surprises in jail and ain't none of those mutts is innocent. Only had one guy in 24 years said he was innocent. An ex-NJ Trooper told me he was innocent of killing his wife and even he was guilty as sin.

Also why? For all I've seen, all I've done, all I've heard, all the stink and sweat, all the times I've been sick, injured, hungover or just plain lucky...I've never had to listen to someone scream as they burned to death in a car wreck. Never found the body of a woman after she'd been raped and torn apart. Never watched the tears of children as their mothers' body is carried out of a house, killed by an abusive husband/boyfriend. Never had to ring someone's doorbell to tell them a loved one isn't coming home. Never came across some poor, miserable skel that drank themselves to death behind a dumpster, or a floater that's been in the water a couple of days.

And finally why? After those street cops have been shot, beaten, stabbed, spit on, disrespected by the public, trashed by the media and had the promise of their retirement benefits cut by vote-buying politicians...I get Johnny Badboy and I got to treat him like he's a little prince. And God help us if the toast is burnt in the morning. Inmates actually have more rights than CO's inside.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm proud of the job I've done and the 4 commendations I got for doing it. It's been rough, sure. But ain't no way I'd trade it for a day as a street cop.

Hell, I even have a hard time looking them in the eye while I'm talking them.

And that's the way it plays for me.

10. Kmurray96

And I'm glad I was medically disqualified by my doctor from going on the team that volunteered to work the Forensic Recovery Site at the Fresh Kills landfill after 9/11.

It affected those guys greatly. Even to this day, none of them talk about it. A couple of them were never the same.

One of them, retired Chief Chuck Balzer even died last year. We don't know what did it. I never really liked the guy. He was a strange bird to start with but I think he was greatly affected by it and after he retired and was away from the bravado and the BS of the job, it didn't take long for his candle to burn out. And he died a young man in his 40's.

You might remember him as the, then, Lt. who said the line, "The drug gods were good to us today", in the HBO special, "Drugs In Prison".

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  11. Sarabian

I'm glad you guys enjoy the job, but every time I take someone in I cringe a bit. I'm always glad to get back outside. I worked as a CO in a juvenile facility for about 6 months and that was enough. It's been about 15 years since I did that I'm still glad I quit.

Makes me happy that there are enough people willing to do it, so I don't have to. :)

12. Kmurray96

Juvie? Oh, sh*t man! You're talking a whole different level of hell in that job. Juvie used to be part of NJDOC. They seperated us a while back and allowed the senior guys a slide over to the adult side. We got about 8 guys that worked through that hell. Hear stories about how really good cops lost their jobs because they smacked a 6"2', 215 LB. 15 year-old scumb*g who was slashing at him with a shank.

Suck job, just like the cops that work at the Adult Diagnostic and "Treatment" Center (House of Freaks). It's not even run by the DOC, but the Dept of Human Resourses. The cops can't call them inmates because they're ...patients.

One of our Towers looks down into their big yard. Jeez, some of the sh*t that goes on. Make you want to puke watching. Make you pissed as sh*t, too, watching some of those animals on the weight pile, too. Come in for rape, spend a few years on the weight pile, now the freak gets out and rips apart his next victim. Politicians and social workers...what a waste of human space. If they had real conviction of their ideas, they should be required to take a mutt home for 6 months as part of their release program.

13. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc New Member

Here is a Picture of Me and My Brother ED when he graduated from the Miracopa County Sheriffs Academy With my Mom in between! This was 1994 I think. It was while I was a Sgt! BTW he is a Sgt with the AZDOC now! Oh yeah that is my Daughter behind me. She is Now 20!

Attached Files: