follow up shots

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by bfish, Feb 17, 2012.

1. bfish

bfish Member

I have a glock 27 I want to improve my shooting with, its got a lot more kick than a 19 I also shoot and I'm wanting to get in follow up shots faster and on target. Say just a simple double tap before moving on to the next target. I know practice practice practice but what can I do to get good at this? I know a few things to do but just wondered what you guys do. Any advice is good advice

2. What kind of recoil assembly do you have? You may want to upgrade to the Stainless Steel which is 3x heavier than the stock, or the tungsten which is 5x heavier than the stock one. These both will help you keep your muzzle flip down and help in that second follow up shot

3. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Are you taking full advantage of the short trigger reset? This helps tremendously when doing rapid follow-up shots.

4. Trotac

Trotac New Member

Yep... It's all about the trigger reset.

5. bfish

bfish Member

When you pull through the first time are you just letting out to the breaking point and back in? Like on the first pull I come into the break reach it and then pull through. So on the second don't "let go"? My concentration is basically trying to stay on target and keep my eyes on the sights through the recoil and be ready to go again. So ill put more thought into the trigger

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Practice is your friend.

Think about this: when driving, you think I WANNA BACK UP, and your hand goes to the gear shift lever and moves it as required to go into REVERSE, without your mind having to think "right hand: let go of the steering wheel, move right arm down, hand goes to top of shift lever, thumb presses release, and grasps lever, arm pulls lever into the 'R' position"....you don't go thru all that, your finger just naturally traps the trigger back after the first shot and lets it creep forward until you hear/feel the "click", and then squeezes rearward to fire again.

Practice, my friend, practice.

"Trigger reset: learn it, live it, love it." - quoted from another GF Member.

7. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

One thing I teach in our FA classes is this:

Once you can confidently and rapidly acquire a good sight picture on your target, lock your wrists, elbows and shoulders in place, lean into the gun, aim the first shot, and fire. Keeping your arms locked, reset the trigger, and squeeze off another round. You aim the sights on the first shot, and lock your arms and upper body, and using the locked muscles and not the front sight, rapidly deliver the follow-up shot. With practice (and a lotta ammo!) this becomes second nature.

8. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  9. codemanod

codemanod New Member

Just my 2 cents, but a LOT has to do with stance. Are you shooting weaver, or isosolies? I have found since moving to the isosolies stance follow up shots are a lot faster and easier, also transitioning from target to target. I also carry a 27 and know what you mean about muzzle flip. Here's my advice. Talk to an instructor, tell him what you're looking for, have him watch you shoot, once you two determine there's nothing wrong with stance, grip, etc, then see what you can do to the gun to make those follow ups faster, tighter. When I'm having a problem with groups, getting shots on target, follow ups, etc I always have someone I trust watch me first, then check the gun. (especially if it's a glock). Hope this helps.

10. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Good advice there, Codemanod.

11. bfish

bfish Member

Good deal ill work on it tomorrow... Thanks guys

12. bfish

bfish Member

Worked on it today just shooting two rounds at a time and it went ok I've got the first two shots together pretty quick not the "double tap" one may think of but a quick follow none the less so hopefully more practice will get it there. Thanks for the advice guys

13. codemanod

codemanod New Member

Sounds great. Just remember on a double tap, 2 shots in a pie plate size area is very good, don't think you're going to put them in the same hole every time.

14. Does that apply with Gen3 & Gen4? Stainless & Tungsten?

15. bfish

bfish Member

Ya but I've shot them with the new recoil springs and the difference is not that significant. It honestly comes down to being a better shooter IMO you can up grade all day but what matters is how you shoot

16. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

Agreed. But I don't think the tungsten would work very well in a .40 because it might not give enough room to be fully ejected. I have one for my 29 and when I shoot lite loads it sometimes has problems ejecting. I would start off with a stainless steel, and see how it goes from there.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  17. The recoil assembly is one approach, but trigger reset is the biggest thing. And as for the tungsten jamming your gun, I have never heard of that, it is designed to work properly in any Glock, Im not saying youre wrong, I just personally havent heard of that happening before....

18. Ghost23

Ghost23 New Member

It wasn't jamming it, it was just too stiff to fully open the breach and caused stove pipes on light loads.

19. iGlock

iGlock Lead Farmer

Had one in my g23 and it worked fine. Had the factory weight spring.

20. KeenansGarage

KeenansGarage Hiding in plain sight....

Keep doing this, even it is only twice a month, and you will realized how much faster you will get. Good luck and be safe bfish!