Glock Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: Besides the obvious price and point of impact difference, what is different about hollow point versus FMJ? Is one better for gun? One dirtier than the other? Any input appreciated.

·
Banned
636 Posts
If you want to make a hole use FMJ... If you want to leave a cavity... JHP.

I use FMJ rds on paper and my self defense rds are JHP... usually Hydra shock.

·
Hail Commifornia
6,370 Posts
While I need data to back up my statement, I have heard that the dynamics of the hollow point make the bullet more accurate.

I agree with voodoo on what the rounds do and how they should be used. Hollow points are usually more expensive depending on the type as well. Dirty ammo just depends on the brand not type of bullet.

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
It sounds like you simply want to compare cleanliness of the round, the feeding characteristics, and the quality: not the ballistics, point of impact and price? Correct?
If that is the case, high quality JHPs are all-a-around better, more clean, and feed better that the FMJ, however due to price it is more practical to clean your gun, and clear a few substandard rounds per thousand, than pay premium prices on JHPs.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Most (I can't say ALL, since I do not know all of 'em), but most FMJ ammo is made either for military use or use on the range. It is manufactured within the established SAAMI specs for the caliber, is manufactured in bulk, and is manufactured to perform within the specified limits as defined by SAAMI.

Hollow-point ammo, however, regardless of the manufacturer or caliber, is manufactured to a somewhat higher standard within the SAAMI specs. Among other things, this may (but not always) include faster and/or faster and cleaner burning gunpowders that achieve max chamber pressures faster. This can (but not always) translate to cleaner-firing ammo. One can picture it as being manufactured with better quality control.

Cheers!

·
GrassHopper
8,204 Posts
Happysniper1 said:
Most (I can't say ALL, since I do not know all of 'em), but most FMJ ammo is made either for military use or use on the range. It is manufactured within the established SAAMI specs for the caliber, is manufactured in bulk, and is manufactured to perform within the specified limits as defined by SAAMI.

Hollow-point ammo, however, regardless of the manufacturer or caliber, is manufactured to a somewhat higher standard within the SAAMI specs. Among other things, this may (but not always) include faster and/or faster and cleaner burning gunpowders that achieve max chamber pressures faster. This can (but not always) translate to cleaner-firing ammo. One can picture it as being manufactured with better quality control.

Cheers!
What he said^^^^

·
Banned
636 Posts

Cheers!
Outstanding info!!! thank you sir.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you want to stop the subject you're shootingyou want the JHP. Shoot him with a FMJ and you're liable to kill 2 or 3 behind him also! That's really not what you asked, just my 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts