Glock Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I am an Indiana resident flying to CA to pick up a car to drive back, and would strongly prefer to bring my boomstick for the trip home.

I own an Austrian Glock 43. I do not need to bring ammo as I have sensible family in CA.

I am flying out of Chicago O'Hare and arriving in San Francisco.

I know 1) my CCW is no good in CA. 2) any mag over 10 rounds is a no-no. 3) 4th gen Glock is not on "the list" for approved FFL sale in CA. 4) proper transport in CA (unloaded/locked/seperate container.

Is this a stupid idea or will I be okay? Please only reply if you know exactly what you're talking about, preferably if you have experience flying into SFO/out of ORD with a checked handgun.

Unfortunately most the advice I've gotten up here has been half-muttered mixed truths about the sorry state of affairs in CA, complete with conspiracy theories, and how bringing anything in will send me to the slammer forever, given by people I doubt have ever left the state of IN. ;-)

·
Administrator
133,338 Posts
As long as it's in a locked container and not loaded you will be fine . I live here but fly in and out of CA with a gun almost every time mostly on southwest . Just check your airlines rules

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flying Virgin (Alaska now) and am familiar with procedure.

I am apprehensive about having a known handgun in my possession within the city limits of Chicago & San Francisco. Any details regarding my rights or lack thereof as a nonresident?

Just want to measure twice before cutting. I DEPped into the Air Force last week for the job offer of a lifetime, so the last thing I need is a firearms violation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know 1) my CCW is no good in CA. 2) any mag over 10 rounds is a no-no. 3) 4th gen Glock is not on "the list" for approved FFL sale in CA. 4) proper transport in CA (unloaded/locked/seperate container.

Is this a stupid idea or will I be okay? Please only reply if you know exactly what you're talking about, preferably if you have experience flying into SFO/out of ORD with a checked handgun.
1. California is a dangerous place. I'm always armed/carrying a handgun. If you think it's a stupid idea to be armed coming into California, don't bring a gun.
2. The Gen4 Glock statement is irrelevant regarding visiting California with one. If a Gen4 Glock has a 10+round magazine then the magazine is prohibited.
3. Transporting the handgun in a vehicle may depend on the vehicle. More info is needed on what the vehicle is as a locked trunk can satisfy the locked container requirement; the handgun still needs to be unloaded however. A vehicle without a trunk will need a locked container secured to the vehicle in some way. A cable locked to a hook or the car's seat-base and the locked container can suffice.
4. I don't know what the reference is to a "separate container", but the ammo can be loaded in mags and in the same container as the gun in the vehicle. A round cannot be chambered in the G43 and a loaded mag cannot be inserted into the G43 to be considered unloaded. Otherwise, the mags and ammo don't needed to be locked up.
5. The transportation rules in California are referring to motor vehicle transport, not flying on an airline.
6. I don't know what "DEPped" means but if it's that important, don't take any chances at all and have the car shipped out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts